For more than 30 years, Lorraine Mongiello, a registered dietitian/nutritionist and a certified diabetes educator, has specialized in public health, nutrition, and the prevention and treatment of diabetes. She was the director of the Campaign Against Diabetes at The City University of New York (CUNY), and was the director of the Diabetes Care Center at St. Charles Hospital on the North Shore of Long Island, where she implemented a diabetes education program serving more than 500 people annually. Additionally, she has provided medical nutritional therapy in obesity programs, nursing homes, hospitals, an early intervention program, a dialysis center, pediatric clinics, and in private practice.
Mongiello received her doctor of public health degree at the CUNY Graduate Center, master’s degree in nutrition and public health at Teacher’s college, Columbia University, and bachelor’s degree in food and nutrition science at Lehman College in New York City. Her current research focuses on the social determinates of health and how the environment impacts health behaviors among young adults.
- “Many College Students Underestimate Diabetes Risk” Mongiello, LL, Freudenberg, N, Spark, A. Journal of Allied Health. Pending Publication.
- “Diabetes Risk Factor Knowledge Varies Among Multiracial College Students” Mongiello, LL, Freudenberg, Jones, H. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. August 2015:17(4).
- “Modeling BMI, Dietary Habits, and Physical Activity among Ethnically Diverse Urban College Students” Jones, H, Freudenberg, N, Mongiello, LL. The Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice. Summer 2015:8(2);61-74.
- “Making the Healthy Choice the Easy Choice on Campus: A Qualitative Study” Mongiello, LL, Freudenberg, N, Spark, A. Health Behavior & Policy Review. 2015;2(2);110-121.
- “Promoting the Health of Young Adults in Urban Public Universities: A Case Study from City University of New York” Journal of American College Health. Freudenberg, N, Manzo, L, Mongiello, L, Jones, H, Boeri, N, Lamberson, P. October 2013;61(7):422-430.
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Service Award, New York Institute of Technology, 2014
- Outstanding Adjunct Professor of the Year, Long Island University, 2005
Courses Taught at NYIT
- NTSI 201: Introduction to Clinical Nutrition Introduction to Clinical Nutrition Practice
- HSCI 195: Cultural & Professional Issues in Health Professional & Cultural Issues in Health
- CLNU 750: Clinical Nutrition Theory & practice I Clinical Nutrition: Theory and Practice I
- CLNU 770: Clinical Nutrition Theory & practice II Clinical Nutrition: Theory and Practice II