Kelly A. Lavin is a New York Tech alumni. She earned her Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy from New York Tech in 2001, her post-professional Master of Science degree in Occupational Therapy from Boston University in 2008, and a post-professional Doctor of Occupational Therapy degree from Boston University in 2016.
Kelly has over 20 years of experience providing services to children within the NYS Early Intervention Program. She has also worked in hospital and school-based settings. She has extensive continuing education and training in the areas of sensory integration and executive functioning. Kelly served as New York Tech's Academic Fieldwork Coordinator from 2014 through 2020, and served as an adjunct faculty at numerous occupational therapy programs.
Kelly has presented on a number of topics at local, national and international platforms. She has participated in and led service-learning trips with New York Tech students to Haiti and Morocco. Kelly strongly believes that the immersive cultural experiences provided by service-learning trips enhances students' didactic learning, challenges them to go out of their comfort zones and help them grow into their professional roles.
Recent Projects and Research
- Comparing executive function skills of children with sensory integration deficits to typically developing children and children with attention deficit disorder.
- Karp, P., Lavin, K., & Collins, T. (2021). Exploring Preparedness for Competency in the Role of Fieldwork Educator. The American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 75 (Supplement 2), 7512505185p1–7512505185p1.
- Lavin, K. A. (2018). Building executive functioning to facilitate instrumental activities of daily living for emerging adults with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Psychology and Behavioral Science, 6(2). https://doi.org/10.15640/jpbs.v6n2a1
- Lavin, K. A. (2018). Use of a journal club during level II fieldwork to facilitate confidence and skills for evidence-based practice. The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy, 6(4), 11. https://doi.org/10.15453/2168-6408.1475
Professional Honors and Awards
- SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University, Outstanding School Contributor Award (2020)
- Inducted into New York Tech's Alpha Eta Honor Society (2015)
- NYIT School of Health Professions Award for Outstanding Service (2015)
Courses Taught at New York Tech
- Occupational Therapy Assessment in Pediatrics
- Occupational Therapy Research III
- Fieldwork II: Specialization
- Fieldwork II: Physical Disabilities
- Fieldwork II: Psychosocial
- Pediatric Occupational Therapy
- Human Growth and Development for Occupational Therapists I
- Human Growth and Development for Occupational Therapists II