Hallie Zwibel specializes in family practice. He is the team physician for NYIT, the director of its Center for Sports Medicine, and one of the institution's experts in eSports medicine. Zwibel earned his bachelor's degree from Binghamton University in 2007. He received his Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine from NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2011 and completed his residency in family practice at North Shore-LIJ Plainview Hospital in 2014. During his residency, Zwibel completed the Training in Policy Studies and Physician Leadership Institute fellowships. Most recently, in 2018, Zwibel earned a Masters in Public Health from University at Albany-SUNY.
Recent Projects & Research
- Hypertension: A Performance Improvement Study
- The Effects of Subconcussive Blows on Cognition
- Objective Assessment of Healthy Lifestyle Compliance with Public Health Guidelines in collegiate eSport Athletes
- Oxidative Stress and Hormone Biomarkers in Collegiate eSport Athletes
- Physiological Changes that Occur after Prolonged eSport Play
- Metabolic Differences in Middle Distance and Long Distance Recreational Female Runners
- FIT-PHYSICIANS: A Novel Physical Activity Integration Program to Improve Fitness and Activity in Medical Students
- Medical Student Perspectives on Health Care Reform
- Comparing the Effect of Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine vs. Counseling in the Treatment of Concussion
- Motion Analysis of NYIT Athletes
- Hedlund DP, Williamson M., Colaiacomo A, Donoghue J, James C, Johnson T, Kim R, Lauretta R, McDermott J, Qiang S, Zwibel, H. Chapter 13: Esports Team and Player Management. In D. P. Hedlund, G. Fried, and R. C. Smith III (Eds.), Esports Business Management, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. (In Press)
- Riley B, Lin W, Zwibel H, Cohen T. Disaster Management during the COVID 19 Pandemic: A Closer Look at Managing Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Hypermobile patients at New York Institute of Technology’s Academic Healthcare Center. Osteopathic Family Physician. (Accepted for publication May 2020)
- Sousa A, Ahmad SL, Hassan T, Yuen K, Douris P, Zwibel H, DiFrancisco-Donoghue. Physiological and Cognitive Functions Following Three Hours of Competitive Esports Gaming. Front Psychol. 2020;11: 1030. DOI:10.3389/fpsyg.2020.01030.
- Mazzeo S, Silverberg C, Oommen T, Diane M, Angelo N, Zwibel H, Mancini J, Leder A, Yao S. The Effects of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment on Sleep Quality in Student-Athletes Post-Concussion: A Pilot Study. J Am Osteopath Assoc. (Accepted for publication Feb. 2020)
- Toma M, Nguyen PDH, Chen R, Zwibel H. Cerebrospinal Fluid Interaction with Brain Parenchyma during Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma. Journal of Pediatric Neurology. DOI: 10.1055/s-0040-1708495.
- Toma M, Nguyen PDH, Chen R, Zwibel H. Cerebrospinal Fluid Interaction with Brain Parenchyma during Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma. Journal of Pediatric Neurology. (Accepted for publication Feb. 2020)
- Zwibel H, DiFrancisco-Donoghue J, DeFao A, Yao S. An Osteopathic Physicians Approach to the Esports Athlete. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. 2019; 119: 756-762. doi:https://doi.org/10.7556/jaoa.2019.125
- DiFrancisco-Donoghue J, Balentine J, Schmidt G, Zwibel H. Managing the health of the eSport athlete: an integrated health management model. BMJ Open Sports & Exercise Medicine. 2019 5:e000467. DOI:10.1136.
- Yusupov E, Krishnamachari B, Rand S, Abdall M, Zwibel H. Quality of Hypertension Care: An Improvement Initiative in Two Outpatient Health Care Centers. Journal of evaluation in clinical practice. 2018. DOI:10.1111/jep.13067.
- DiFrancisco-Donoghue J, Jung MK, Stangle A, Werner WG, Zwibel H, Happel P, Balentine J. Utilizing wearable technology to increase physical activity in future physicians: A randomized trial. Pmedr. 2018. DOI:10.1016/j.pmedr.2018.09.004.
- Zwibel, H, Leder A, Yao S, Finn C. Concussion Evaluation and Management: An Osteopathic Perspective. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. 2018;118(10):655-661. DOI:10.7556/jaoa.2018.144.
- Zwibel H. Financing reform for long-term services and supports. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. 2017;117(7):413-415. doi:10.7556/jaoa.2017.087.
Honors & Awards
- 2019 NCAA CHOICES Grant – $30,000, “Be Empowered! Alcohol-Prevention Resources (BEAR) – BEAR CHOICES”, Coinvestigator
- 2018 American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Research Grant – $100,000, “A novel lifestyle intervention program to improve body composition and chronic disease biomarkers in overweight medical students: A randomized trial.”
- Long Island Business News – Millennial Award
- American Osteopathic Association, Guardian of the Profession
- American College of Family Physicians, Certified Physician Leader
Courses Taught at NYIT
- Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine
- Practices of Osteopathic Medicine I, II and III
- Doctor Patient Relations