Eugen Petcu, M.D., Ph.D. was trained in anatomic pathology at Boston University Medical Center, Mallory Institute of Pathology and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Pathology with active licenses in the United States (MA), European Union (France and Romania), Norway and Switzerland. In 2009, Petcu obtained a Ph.D. in Neurobiology with magna cum laudae from Ernst-Moritz-Arndt University of Greifswald, Germany.
Petcu has acquired experience in teaching pathology, oral pathology and physiopathology for undergraduate and post-graduate medical and dental students, within classical and hybrid digital environments. His research focuses on mechanisms of neural and bone tissue regeneration including 3D bioprinting methods. In addition, Petcu is interested in quantitativate digital pathology and immunohistochemistry for clinical diagnostic and research in histopathology.
Recent Projects and Research
- 2021: Oral Medicine Academy of Australasia Research: "The effect of adipose derived micro-vessels on angiogenesis and bone healing in medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaws."
- 2020: Folke Hermanses Fond, Norway: "Pre-operative oral carbohydrate intake mediated changes in breast cancer tissues and serum," Stavanger Univ Hospital, Norway.
- 2019: European Commission Horizon 2020 – Research and Innovation Framework Program: "CLoud ARtificial Intelligence For pathology," Univ of Valencia, Univ of Amsterdam, Univ of Stavanger and others.
- Boston B, Ipe D, Capitanescu B, Hamlet S, Love R, Nusem I, Miroiu RI, Warnke PHH, Petcu EB. Angiogenesis-osteogenesis coupling: a key element in bone physiology and regeneration. Vascular Cell, v. 13, n. 1, p. 2, dec. 2021. ISSN 2045-824X.
- Sharma D, Hamlet S, Vaquette C, Petcu EB, Ramamurthy P, Ivanovski S. Local delivery of hydrogel encapsulated vascular endothelial growth factor for the prevention of medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw. Scientific Reports volume 11, Article number: 23371 (2021).
- Di Marco Vieira B, Radford RAW, Hayashi J, Eaton ED, Greenaway B, Jambas M, Petcu EB, Chung RS, Pountney DL. Extracellular Alpha-Synuclein Promotes a Neuroinhibitory Secretory Phenotype in Astrocytes. Life (Basel). 2020 Sep 8;10(9):183. doi: 10.3390/life10090183. PMID: 32911644; PMCID: PMC7555668.
- Chen SG, Ugwu F, Li WC, Caplice NM, Petcu EB, Yip SP, Huang CL. Vascular Tissue Engineering: Advanced Techniques and Gene Editing in Stem Cells for Graft Generation. Tissue Eng Part B Rev. 2020 Jun 5. doi: 10.1089/ten.TEB.2019.0264.
- Filfan M, Olaru A, Udristoiu I, Margaritescu C, Petcu E, Hermann DM, Popa-Wagner A. Long-term treatment with spermidine increases health span of middle-aged Sprague-Dawley male rats. Geroscience. 2020 Apr 13. doi: 10.1007/s11357-020-00173-5.
- Popa-Wagner A, Dumitrascu DI, Capitanescu B, Petcu EB, Surugiu R, Fang WH, Dumbrava DA. Dietary habits, lifestyle factors and neurodegenerative diseases. Neural Regen Res. 2020 Mar;15(3):394–400. doi: 10.4103/1673-5374.266045.
- Man A, Slevin M, Petcu E, Fraefel C. The Cyclin-Dependent Kinase 5 Inhibitor Peptide Inhibits Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 Replication. Sci Rep. 2019 Feb 4;9(1):1260. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-37989-3.
- Philippa C, Miroiu RI, Slevin M, Petcu EB. An update on angiogenesis modulators with a potential therapeutic role. Vascular Cell. 2018; 10(1):1. 9.Petcu EB, Midha R, McColl E, Popa-Wagner A, Chirila TV, Dalton PD. 3D printing strategies for peripheral nerve regeneration. Biofabrication. 2018 Mar, 23; 10(3):032001. doi: 10.1088/1758-5090/aaaf50.
- Smith TM, Suzuki S, Cronin BG, Haghighatpanah M, Petcu EB, Philippa CJ, Chirila TV. Photochemically Induced Crosslinking of Tarsal Collagen as a Treatment for Eyelid Laxity: Assessing Potentiality in Animal Tissue. Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Vol. XX, No. XX, 2018, DOI: 10.1097/IOP.0000000000001063.
Professional Honors and Awards
- 2016: Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst-Forschungsaufenthalt Award, Wuerzburg University, Germany
- 2009: Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst-Forschungsaufenthalt Award, Ernst-Moritz-Arndt University of Greifswald, Institute of Neurobiology, Germany
- 2009: Griffith International Fellowship Award
Courses Taught at New York Tech