Ehsan Kamel obtained his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University in 2017. His research is focused on building energy modeling (BEM), the application of building information modeling (BIM) in BEM, energy-smart homes, and building energy retrofit. He also has a background in building science, building enclosure design, and seismic engineering, with an emphasis on the seismic behavior of reinforced lightweight concrete.
- Reduce heating and cooling loads by developing model predictive control algorithms using sensors.
- Prediction of building energy consumption through data-driven methods.
- Application of dynamic façade system in building energy retrofit.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of NESEA Kate Goldstein Scholarship for Emerging Professionals.
- Roger Glunt Graduate Fellowship in Residential Building Construction; The Pennsylvania State University, 2015-16 (two-time winner)
- Best Paper Award; 14th annual College of Engineering Research Symposium organized by Engineering Graduate Student Council, 2017
- Design Excellence, Systems Integration Excellence (two awards); Department of Energy Race to Zero Student Design Competition (co-captain of Penn State team and leader of building enclosure and energy design team), 2014-2015
- Best Technical Integration Award and high scores for indoor air quality; U.S. Department of Energy Challenge Home Student Design Competition (member of the Penn State building enclosure team), 2013-2014
- Editorial Board Member, Progress in Energy & Fuels, since 2018
- Editorial Board Member, Energy Science, Inisght, since 2018
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Architectural Research and Development (JARD), since 2017
- Reviewer of Automation in Construction Journal, Elsevier, since 2018
- Reviewer of Emerald Insight Journal of Facilities, since 2018
- Reviewer of Construction & Building Materials Elsevier journal, since 2017
- Reviewer of Journal of Architectural Engineering, ASCE, since 2017
- ENGY 670 (Energy Technology in Perspective)
- ENGY 695 (Systems Engineering and Management)
- ENGY 730 (Computer Applications for Energy Management)
- ENGY 890 (Practicum Or Other Research)
- IENG 285 (Energy Technology Project)