Deborah Y. Cohn researches topics including diffusion of innovation theory; green marketing strategy; consumer perceptions and gift giving; social media in the workplace; and gender gap issues. Her research employs a variety of qualitative methods, notably the new method of netnography. She has published in the Journal of Business Research, International Journal of Business Research, and International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising, among others. In addition, she acts as a reviewer for the prestigious Journal of Business Research.
Cohn was a member of the NYIT Biomedical and Health Sciences Research Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research for eight years. In addition, she served on the Academic Senate and its Curriculum, Educational Technology, and Institutional Development committees. From 2018-2019, Cohn was the associate dean of Faculty Affairs for NYIT School of Management. Currently director of professional enrichment for the university’s New York campuses, she provides programming that helps students prepare for their careers.
Cohn earned her Ph.D. in marketing from City University of New York in 1997 and an M.B.A. from NYIT in 1989. Her degrees in marketing, business, and interdisciplinary studies of religion underlie her support for strong and diverse educational experiences that strengthen academic programs and have the potential to span multiple cultures.
- Cohn, Deborah Y., and Birasnav Muthuraj (2018), "Professional enrichment program of NYIT School of Management: Mobile app technology integration to enhance teaching and learning." Internal NYIT Teaching and Learning with Technology Grant. $10,006
- Cohn, Deborah Y., and Joshua Bienstock (2019), “An International Study of Israel and the US of Digital Social Media in The Workplace.” Mallah Family Foundation, $25,000
- Cohn, Deborah Y., and Joshua Bienstock (2016-2019), “A Four Country Comparison of Digital Social Media in The Workplace (UAE, Canada, USA and China).” Albert and Pearl Ginsberg Foundation, $75,000
- Cohn, Deborah Y., and Joshua Bienstock (2015), “The Influence of Digital Social Media Networking Services on Workplace Harmony and Conflict.” Albert and Pearl Ginsberg Foundation, $24,804
- Vaccaro, Valerie, Benja Stig Fagerlandand, and Deborah Y. Cohn (2019), “A SHEconomy Management 3.0 Benefit Model & Framework of Gender Diversity Leadership for Greater Innovation, Corporate Social Responsibility, and Firm Financial Performance,” European Journal of Management.
- Cohn, Deborah Y., and Valerie L. Vaccaro (2018), “Reducing the Green Gap: The Impact of Cultural & Personal Values on Adoption of Hybrid & Electric Vehicles in the US, UK, Australia & South Africa,” Journal of International Management Studies 18 (3), 29-44.
- Vaccaro, Valerie L., Veysel Yucetepe, Deborah Y. Cohn, and James Henry Dunne (2017), “Pleasant Music’s Relationship to Congruence, Consumer Behavioral Intentions, Unplanned Purchase, and Time Spent in Retail and Service Environments,” Journal of International Management Studies 17(2), 35-48.
- Cohn, Deborah Y. (2016), “Thanks, I Guess: What Consumers Complain About When They Complain About Gifts,” Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction, and Complaining Behavior 29, 77-89.
- Cohn, Deborah Y., and Valerie Vaccaro (2015), “The Influence of Global Consumer Values and Perceived Risk Factors on Green Vehicle Adoption,” Journal of International Business and Economics 15 (3), 35-52.
- Vaccaro, Valerie, and Deborah Y. Cohn (2013), “The Bright Side: An Examination of Green Marketing Product Strategies for Sustainability with Diffusion of Innovation Characteristics,” European Journal of Business Research 13 (3), 135-142.
- Cohn, Deborah Y., and Valerie Vaccaro (2013), “A Consumer Values Analysis of Attitudes Towards Green & Non-Green Vehicle Purchase,” Proceedings of the Northeast Business & Economics Association, January 40-43.
- Cohn, Deborah Y. (2010), “Commentary Essay on ‘Exploring Origins of Ethical Company / Brand Perceptions – A Consumer Perspective of Corporate Ethics” (invited by Tony Ellson, associate editor of Buyer Behavior), Journal of Business Research 63 (12) December, 1267-1268.
- Vaccaro, Valerie, and Deborah Y. Cohn (2010), “Green Marketing, Diffusion of Innovation, and Global Consumer Values for Sustainability,” Proceedings of the Northeast Business & Economics Association January 596-598.
- Schiffman, Leon G., and Deborah Y. Cohn (2009), “Are They Playing by the Same Rules? A Consumer Gifting Classification of Marital Dyads,” Journal of Business Research 62(11), 1054-1062.
- Cohn, Deborah Y., and Joshua Bienstock (2018), “The Tricky Task of Friending (or Unfriending) a Colleague,” The Wall Street Journal, online May 17, print May 21, 2018.
- Cohn, Deborah Y. (2017), “When cringeworthy gifts are worse than inconsiderate,” The Conversation, December 15, 2017. (Reprinted in The Washington Post as “This is why people give bad Christmas gifts," December 25, 2017.)
- Cohn, Deborah Y. (2017), “Marketing in a World of Bad Gift-Giving,” Academic Minute podcast, May 9, 2017.
Honors & Awards
- NYIT School of Management Distinguished Faculty Service Award (2019)
- NYIT Presidential Award for Student Engagement by Faculty (2018)
- Aishet Chayil (Woman of Valor) Award presented by Congregation Ohav Sholom, Merrick, N.Y. (2018)
- Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing presented by Elsevier in recognition of the contributions made to the quality of the Journal of Business Research (2016)
- Commitment to Marketing Award, presented by Mu Kappa Tau – National Marketing Honor Society. Awarded to faculty with three or more years of continuous membership and a commitment to the principles, academic achievement, and dedication to the marketing profession. (2016)
- NYIT School of Management Adjunct Faculty Council Leadership Award, awarded to a full-time faculty member for efforts to improve working conditions for adjuncts (AY 2015-2016)
- Women of March, awarded by NYIT Community Service Center, New York Institute of Technology, Old Westbury, N.Y. (2012)
Courses I Teach/Have Taught at NYIT
- MRKT 102 Introduction to Marketing
- MRKT 301 Management of Promotion
- MRKT 320 Management of New Product Development
- MRKT 345 Professional Selling
- MRKT 405 International Marketing
- MRKT 410 Marketing Policy and Strategy
- MRKT 610 Branding
- MRKT 740 Marketing on the Internet
- MRKT 765 Marketing of New Products
- MRKT 775 Consumer Behavior