Colleen P. Kirk's research centers around consumer behavior, especially in the areas of psychological ownership, emotions, and decision-making. Specific areas of interest include: exploring how and when consumers' feelings of ownership lead to territorial responses; understanding how consumers come to feel a sense of ownership of intangible digital technologies and its implications for marketers; narcissism in consumer behavior; and nonconscious processing and investor behavior. Focusing her research on experimental design, Dr. Kirk is also interested in diverse methodologies and analytical techniques. Her work is published in top journals such as Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Advertising Research, Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, Journal of Brand Management, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, and Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services. An award-winning researcher and reviewer, she presents at leading national and international conferences, and is a regular reviewer for top journals.
In addition to her research, Dr. Kirk has an extensive professional background in product management, marketing, and sales in the computer industry. Prior to joining the faculty at NYIT as assistant professor of marketing, she taught for five years as assistant professor of marketing at Mount Saint Mary College in Newburgh, N.Y., and previously as an adjunct professor at Mercy College in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. in Math, Computer Science, and Business. Dr. Kirk enjoys engaging her students in live projects for industry and nonprofit organizations, which gives students hands-on experience in applying marketing theory while providing value to clients.
Dr. Kirk holds a Bachelor of Arts from Cornell University, a Master of Business Administration from Southern Methodist University, a Master of International Management from the Thunderbird School of Global Management, and a Doctor of Professional Studies in Marketing and International Economics from Pace University.
- Kirk, Colleen P. (2018). "How Customers Come to Think of a Product as an Extension of Themselves." Harvard Business Review.
- Kirk, Colleen P. & Swain, S. D. (2018). Consumers' Psychological Ownership of Technology. In J. Peck & S. Shu (Eds.) Psychological Ownership and Consumer Behavior. New York: Springer.
- Kirk, Colleen P. (2017). "When Good Fences Make Good Customers: Exploring Psychological Ownership and Territoriality in Marketing." In C. Olckers, L. van Zyl & L. van der Vaart (Eds.), Theoretical Orientations and Practical Applications of Psychological Ownership: Springer.
- Kirk, Colleen P. & Swain, S. D. The Value in Lurking: The Effect of a Mere Opportunity for Two-Way Communication on Consumers' Psychological Ownership and Valuation of Digital Content.
- Kirk, Colleen P., Peck, J., and Swain, S. D. (2018). Property Lines in the Mind: Consumers' Psychological Ownership and Their Territorial Responses. Journal of Consumer Research.
- Kirk, Colleen P., Chiagouris, L., Lala, V., & Thomas, J. (2015). How Do Digital Natives and Digital Immigrants Respond Differently to Interactivity Online? A Model for Predicting Consumer Attitudes and Intentions to Use Digital Information Products. Journal of Advertising Research, 55(1), 1-14.
- Cardon, M. S., & Colleen P. Kirk (2015). Entrepreneurial Passion as Mediator of the Self-Efficacy to Persistence Relationship. Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice, 39(5), 1027-1050.
- Kirk, Colleen P., McSherry, B. and Swain, S. D. (2015). Investing the Self: The Effect of Nonconscious Goals on Investor Psychological Ownership and Word-of-Mouth Intentions. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 58(C), 186-194.
- Kirk, Colleen P., Swain, S. D., & Gaskin, J. (2015). I'm Proud of It: Consumer Technology Appropriation and Psychological Ownership. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 23(2), 166-184.
- Kirk, Colleen P., Ray, I., & Wilson, B. (2013). The Impact of Brand Value on Firm Valuation: The Moderating Influence of Firm Type. Journal of Brand Management 20(6), 488-500.
Honors & Awards
- Cross-Pollination, Feature in NYIT Magazine, Fall 2017
- Bright Idea Award, Awarded best paper in 2015 Publications of New Jersey's Business Faculty. Stillman School of Business at Seton Hall University/New Jersey Policy Research Organization (NJPRO) Foundation, September 2016
- Best Paper Award, Consumer Behavior Track, American Marketing Association Winter Educators' Conference, Las Vegas, February 2016
- Award for Best Reviewer, Direct/Interactive Marketing Research Summit, Marketing EDGE, Chicago, October 2013
- Award for Best Doctoral Student Paper in Behavioral Finance, The Academy of Behavioral Finance and Economics, Los Angeles, August 2011
- Provost's Grant for the Thinkfinity Initiative Award, Pace University and Verizon Foundation, 2010–2012
Courses I Teach/Have Taught at NYIT
- MRKT 610: Branding
- MRKT 710: International Marketing
- MRKT 750: Marketing Research for Managerial Decisions
- MRKT 765: Marketing of New Products
- BUSIE 702: Practicum
- American Marketing Association
- Association for Consumer Research
- Society for Consumer Psychology
- Marketing EDGE (Educate, Develop, Grow and Employ)
- Colleen Kirk at www.researchgate.net/profile/Colleen_Kirk
- Colleen Kirk at https://nyit.academia.edu/ColleenKirk