A student-first marketing professor, Dr. Kirk is also passionate about research and discovery. Her research centers around consumer behavior, especially in the areas of psychological ownership, emotions, and decision-making. Specific areas of interest include: exploring how and when consumers' feelings of ownership lead to territorial and stewardship responses; understanding how consumers come to feel a sense of ownership of intangible digital technologies and its implications for marketers; and narcissism in consumer behavior.
Focusing her research on experimental design, Kirk is also interested in diverse methodologies and analytical techniques. Her work is published in top journals such as Journal of Marketing, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Advertising Research, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, Journal of Brand Management, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice and others.
An award-winning researcher and reviewer, Dr. Kirk serves as Associate Editor of the prestigious Journal of Business Research and sits on the editorial review board of the Journal of Advertising Research. Her research has appeared in a wide variety of national and international media outlets including Psychology Today, the Financial Times, Business Insider, Salon, Radio New Zealand, BBC Mundo, iHeart Radio Canada, and many others.
In addition to her academic experience, Dr. Kirk has an extensive professional background in product management, marketing, and sales in the computer industry. She enjoys engaging students in research and in live projects for industry and nonprofit organizations, which gives them hands-on experience in applying marketing theory while providing value to clients. Dr. Kirk holds a Bachelor of Arts from Cornell University, a Master of Business Administration from Southern Methodist University, a Master of International Management from the Thunderbird School of Global Management, and a Doctor of Professional Studies in Marketing and International Economics from Pace University.
- Peck, J., Kirk, C. P., Luangrath, A. W., & Shu, S. B. (2021). Caring for the commons: Using psychological ownership to enhance stewardship behavior for public goods. Journal of Marketing, 85(2), 33-49.
- Colleen P. Kirk (2019). Dogs Have Masters, Cats Have Staff: Consumers’ Psychological Ownership and Their Economic Valuation of Pets. Journal of Business Research, 99(6), 306-318.
- Kirk, Colleen P. (2018). "How Customers Come to Think of a Product as an Extension of Themselves." Harvard Business Review.
- Kirk, Colleen P., Peck, J., and Swain, S. D. (2018). Property Lines in the Mind: Consumers' Psychological Ownership and Their Territorial Responses. Journal of Consumer Research.
- Kirk, Colleen P., Chiagouris, L., Lala, V., & Thomas, J. (2015). How Do Digital Natives and Digital Immigrants Respond Differently to Interactivity Online? A Model for Predicting Consumer Attitudes and Intentions to Use Digital Information Products. Journal of Advertising Research, 55(1), 1-14.
- Cardon, M. S., & Colleen P. Kirk (2015). Entrepreneurial Passion as Mediator of the Self-Efficacy to Persistence Relationship. Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice, 39(5), 1027-1050.
- Kirk, Colleen P., McSherry, B. and Swain, S. D. (2015). Investing the Self: The Effect of Nonconscious Goals on Investor Psychological Ownership and Word-of-Mouth Intentions. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 58(C), 186-194.
- Kirk, Colleen P., Swain, S. D., & Gaskin, J. (2015). I'm Proud of It: Consumer Technology Appropriation and Psychological Ownership. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 23(2), 166-184.
- Kirk, Colleen P., Ray, I., & Wilson, B. (2013). The Impact of Brand Value on Firm Valuation: The Moderating Influence of Firm Type. Journal of Brand Management 20(6), 488-500.
Honors and Awards
- New York Tech School of Management Professional Enrichment Leadership Award, May 2020
- New York Tech School of Management Distinguished Faculty Teaching Award, May 2020
- New York Tech School of Management Crystal Award for Faculty Engagement with Professional Enrichment Program, May 2019
- Cross-Pollination, Feature in New York Tech Magazine, Fall 2017
- Bright Idea Award, Awarded best paper in 2015 Publications of New Jersey's Business Faculty. Stillman School of Business at Seton Hall University/New Jersey Policy Research Organization (NJPRO) Foundation, September 2016
- Best Paper Award, Consumer Behavior Track, American Marketing Association Winter Educators' Conference, Las Vegas, February 2016
- Award for Best Reviewer, Direct/Interactive Marketing Research Summit, Marketing EDGE, Chicago, October 2013
- Award for Best Doctoral Student Paper in Behavioral Finance, The Academy of Behavioral Finance and Economics, Los Angeles, August 2011
Courses Taught at New York Tech
- MRKT 410: Marketing Policy and Strategy
- MRKT 501: Introduction to Marketing
- MRKT 610: Branding
- MRKT 620: Strategic Marketing and Branding
- MRKT 710: International Marketing
- MRKT 745: Internet Marketing
- MRKT 750: Marketing Research for Managerial Decisions
- MRKT 765: Marketing of New Products
- BUSIE 702: Practicum
- American Marketing Association
- Association for Consumer Research
- Society for Consumer Psychology
- Marketing EDGE (Educate, Develop, Grow and Employ)
- Colleen Kirk at www.researchgate.net/profile/Colleen_Kirk
- Colleen Kirk at https://nyit.academia.edu/ColleenKirk