Batu Chalise's research interests include signal processing for radar and communications, optimization, random matrix theory, machine learning, and statistics. In radar, he is conducting research in the areas of passive and over-the-horizon radar and UAV systems. In communications, his research is focused to massive MIMO, cognitive radios, full-duplex, and energy harvesting. His recent research interests also include coexistence of radar and communication systems and signal processing for big data, and smart grids.
He received M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany. He was a visiting assistant professor with Cleveland State University prior to joining New York Tech. He was a wireless systems research engineer with ArrayComm, San Jose, Calif., where he developed algorithms for LTE and LTE-A communication systems. He has held various research and teaching positions at Villanova University, PA, University of Duisburg-Essen, and Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium.
Chalise has published 56 journal and conference articles and 3 book chapters. He serves as a Technical Program and Organizing Committee Member in various IEEE conferences.
- Detection Performance in Passive MIMO Radar Systems: Robust and Large-Scale Approach
- Unified System of Passive Radar and Communications
- B. K. Chalise and B. Himed, “GLRT detector in single frequency multi-static passive radar systems,’’ Signal Processing, in Press, Sept. 2017.
- B. K. Chalise, M. G. Amin, and B. Himed, “Performance tradeoff in a unified passive radar and communications system,’’ IEEE Signal Proc. Lett., vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1275-1279, June 2017.
- B. K. Chalise, H. Suraweera, G. Zheng, and G. Karagiannidis, “Beamforming optimization for full-duplex wireless-powered MIMO systems,” IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. PP, no. 99, pp. 1-1, June, 2017.
- M. Mohammadi, B. K. Chalise, H. Suraweera, C. Zhong, G. Zheng, and I. Kirkidis, “Throughput maximization and performance analysis of a cooperative system with wireless-powered full-duplex MIMO relay,” IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 1769-1785, Apr., 2016.
- B. K. Chalise, Y. D. Zhang, M.G. Amin, and B. Himed, “Target localization in a multi-static passive radar system through convex optimization,’’ Signal Processing, vol. 102, pp. 207-215, Sep. 2014.
Honors and Awards
- U.S. Air Force Lab Summer Faculty Research Fellowship, 2016
- Associate Editor, EURASIP Journal of Communications and Networking (2013 - Present)
- Senior Member of IEEE
- Exemplary Reviewer Award from IEEE Communications Society, 2013
Courses Taught at New York Tech
- EENG 489: Senior Design Project I
- EENG 401: Communication Theory
- EENG 281: Electric Circuits II