A board-certified expert in emergency medicine, Jerry Balentine, D.O., served as chief medical officer and executive vice president of St. Barnabas Hospital and Healthcare System in the Bronx, N.Y., prior to joining New York Tech as vice president for medical affairs and global health in 2014. He held numerous other positions throughout his career, including hospital medical director, emergency department director, and residency director.
Balentine has been an adjunct faculty member at NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM) for more than 20 years. In 2009, he was the chair of the emergency medicine division within the Department of Clinical Specialties and was appointed faculty associate in the Center for Global Health in 2010.
A graduate of Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Balentine completed his internship at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Philadelphia and his emergency medicine residency at Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center in the Bronx, where he also served as chief resident. He earned his undergraduate degree from McDaniel College in Westminster, Md.
Balentine has authored and edited many web and textbook chapters and was medical editor of newyorkmedicaljournal.org. He is also a medical author and editor for the WebMD network, which includes MedicineNet, eMedicineHealth, RxList, and WebMD.
Throughout his career, Balentine’s research interest throughout his career has centered on the patient and student experience. His current areas of focus are on non-academic interventions with medical students to help them increase empathy and decrease burnout; esports; and the role medical providers play in preventing chronic and acute injuries.
- FIT-PHYSICIANS: A Novel Physical Activity Integration Program to Improve Fitness and Activity in Medical Students
- Physiological Changes that Occur after Prolonged eSport Play
- Meditation, Alignment with the Osteopathic Philosophy and Empathy in Osteopathic Medical Students: A Randomized Controlled Interventional Trial (AOA BOCER grant)
- Meditation, Empathy and Stress in Osteopathic Medical Students and Interventional Pilot Study
- DiFrancisco-Donoghue J, Balentine JR., "Collegiate eSport: Where Do We Fit In?" Curr Sports Med Rep. 2018 Apr;17(4):117-118)
- Effects of iPad use on COMLEX outcomes