NYIT Advisory Committee on Campus Security Policy: New York Campuses
In accordance with N.Y. EDN. LAW § 6431, the President or his designee, shall appoint on an annual basis, an Advisory Committee on Campus Security consisting of six (6) members and composed of the following:
- A minimum of three (3) members are to be female;
- One (1) Long Island student member chosen by the President or his designee from a list of two (2) Long Island students provided by the Student Government Association.
- One (1) New York City student member chosen by the President or his designee from a list of two (2) New York City students provided by the Student Government Association.
- Two (2) faculty members chosen by the President or his designee from a list of four (4) faculty provided by the Academic Senate and Provost.
- Two (2) at large New York City or Long Island staff members selected by the President or his designee.
- The Director of Compliance and Title IX Coordinator shall serve as an ex officio, nonvoting chair of the committee for purposes of assisting the committee members in their review and reporting obligations.
The Committee shall meet in person or via video conference a minimum of two (2) times each academic year and review current campus security policies and procedures and make recommendations for their improvement.
The Committee will specifically review policies and procedures for:
- educating the campus community, including security personnel and those persons who advise or supervise students, about sexual assault, domestic violence and stalking offenses
- educating the campus community about personal safety and crime prevention
- reporting sexual assaults, domestic violence and stalking incidents and assisting victims during investigations
- referring complaints to appropriate authorities
- counseling victims
- responding to inquiries from concerned persons
Each May, the Committee will report, in writing, to the President on its findings and recommendations. Such report shall be available upon request by contacting the Director of Compliance who will direct the inquiry to the designated Secretary of the Advisory Committee.
At its initial meeting each academic year, the Committee shall designate a Secretary who shall be responsible for providing NYIT's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report and/or NYIT's Advisory Committee recommendation report in response to internal and external requests made to the Advisory Committee.