Safety & Security
In Case of Emergency
NYIT's experienced security professionals are trained to respond to any emergency situation. If you encounter an emergency, follow these steps:
- call 911 immediately
- then call NYIT campus security at 516.686.7789
You can call from your cell phone or any campus phone, or from any of the emergency "blue light" phones located throughout campus.
Emergency Alert System
NYIT uses an emergency alert system to keep you informed of campus closures, emergencies, or anything needing your immediate attention via:
- text messages
- emails to your @NYIT.edu account
- phone calls
Your Safety is Important to Us
NYIT is committed to the safety of our entire campus community. Professional security teams are ready to protect you in any emergency, including:
- any threats to the NYIT campus
- car accidents
- hazardous spills and gas leaks
- injury or illness
- severe weather
- theft, assault, or any other crimes
If NYIT decides to cancel classes, close the university, or delay opening during severe weather or other campus-wide emergency, we will communicate this information through:
- NYIT emergency alert system
- NYIT emergency hotline number: 516.686.1010
- My NYIT web portal
- Local media outlets:
- News12 Long Island
- WCBS-AM 880
- WINS-AM 1010
- WHLI-AM 1100
- WALK-FM 97.5
- WBAB-FM 102.3
- WBLI-FM 106.1
On Campus Alone?
The Campus Alone Program is an added measure of protection while you're at NYIT. It is available to all members of the campus community who work or study during inactive non-business hours (evenings, weekends, holidays, etc.). Call Campus Security at 516.686.7789 if you are concerned about your personal safety while working or studying alone. Just tell us:
- your name, location, and phone number
- an estimated time of departure (please let Campus Security know if this changes)
- your mode of travel and, if applicable, a description of your vehicle and the place where you've parked
- whether you desire a walking escort to your vehicle or other location
Before you leave, you must call Campus Security again to confirm that you are well and that you are departing. Campus Security may check in on you at your location, particularly if they have not received your confirmation that you have departed.
See Something That Concerns You?
The NYIT community is like family—we look out for each other. And we're counting on you to help ensure the safety and well-being of friends, classmates, and others on campus. In addition to professional security, NYIT has trained counselors prepared to work with anyone experiencing physical, emotional, or mental issues. Contact NYIT security immediately if you witness:
- any danger to life or property
- medical emergencies
- students suffering from emotional distress or mental health issues
- threatening, irrational, or criminal behavior by another student
- Campus Safety Precautions
- "Your Safety Comes First"
- Annual Security & Fire Safety Security Report
- Emergency procedures
- NYIT policies
- Need an NYIT ID? Visit the Office of Campus Security between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. You must carry your ID with you at all times to gain entry to campus events and campus buildings (and it serves as your NYIT Library Card).
- Want to park on campus? You'll need to get a permit from the Office of Campus Security. We can issue parking stickers to NYIT students, faculty, and staff 24/7, just provide NYIT photo ID and vehicle registration(s) .We also offer on-campus assistance if you're locked out of your car or need help starting your vehicle.
- Lose something? Lost and founditems are held by the Office of Campus Security. We will contact you if we find anything with your personal identification.
- Visiting NYIT-Old Westbury? The Office of Campus Security will provide you or your family with a temporary parking pass at the main security desk at Simonson House. Just call and let us know when you're coming!
NYIT-Old Westbury Office of Campus Security
Simonson House (Campus Map)