Like many other events this year, new faculty orientation took on a new form in early September, leveraging New York Tech’s technology prowess to provide a warm virtual welcome. Programming included a two-hour Zoom event as well as an asynchronous online course with links to faculty support and resources and plans for an ongoing semester-long community of practice for the newest members of the community. Fran Glazer Ph.D., associate provost for educational innovation and director of the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL), and her team began planning early in the summer to develop the portfolio of virtual onboarding activities.
The Zoom orientation session, held on the afternoon of September 1, included greetings from and conversations with university administration and faculty colleagues. Following opening remarks by Junius Gonzales, M.D., M.B.A., provost and vice president for academic affairs, and Glazer, the new faculty group enjoyed a freeform conversation with tenure-track faculty members, and met with Registrar Kristen Smith, Director of Academic Technology Services Laurie Harvey, M.B.A., and Assistant Provost for Student Engagement and Development Tiffani Blake, M.Ed. Glazer, who led the new faculty orientation and onboarding, closed the two-hour Zoom session with a look ahead at what to expect in the new year.
The online course, posted in New York Tech’s new Canvas platform, allows the faculty to onboard at their own pace and includes modules featuring information on everything from technology, research, and funding resources to HR, communications, student life, career services, libraries, advisement, and online support.
“The new faculty members bring a set of rich experiences with them, not only in their scholarship, but also in teaching,” said Glazer. “I look forward to working with them throughout the coming year via an ongoing community of practice and dialogue that explores different resources and opportunities at New York Tech.
Eight tenure-track professors as well as three teaching faculty and one post-doctoral teaching fellow have joined New York Tech for the 2020-2021 academic year:
College of Arts and Sciences
- Cameka Hazel, Ed.D., Assistant Professor, School Counseling
- Nayoung Kim,Ph.D., Assistant Professor, School Counseling
- Victoria Rayskin, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Mathematics
School of Health Professions
- Beth Elenko, Ph.D., Occupational Therapy
- Alex Rothstein,M.S., Instructor, Interdisciplinary Health Sciences
- Mary Squillace, Ph.D., OTD, Associate Clinical Professor, Occupational Therapy
- Ling Wan-Albert, OTD, Assistant Professor, Occupational Therapy
School of Management
- Lu Huang, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Marketing
College of Arts and Sciences
- Waldemar Nieweglowski, Teaching Assistant Professor, Biological & Chemical Sciences/Chemistry
- Mena Youssef, Ph.D., Teaching Assistant Professor, Biological & Chemical Sciences
College of Engineering and Computing Sciences
- Felix Fischman, Teaching Assistant Professor, Computer Science
Postdoctoral Teaching Fellow
- George Salayka, Postdoctoral Teaching Fellow, Computer Science