Human Resource Management
New York Institute of Technology partners with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to offer the SHRM Learning System (XMT-016) and SHRM Essentials in Human Resources (XHRC-801).
Want to know more about SHRM classes?
Attend our Information Session on June 9, 2021 12 – 1 P.M.
Email email@example.com for Zoom invite.
Earn the Standard in HR Certification! Set Yourself Apart from the Competition!
Now, more than ever, HR teams are required to assume a greater leadership role, contributing to the strategic direction of their organization. The HR profession is no longer just about what you know—but how you do your job.
Establish yourself as a globally-recognized human resource expert by earning the standard in HR certification: SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP®) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP®). These professional certifications can open doors for professional advancement, serve to harmonize standards with changing expectations and signal to employers advanced professional development. They reflect what HR practitioners need to know to be leaders in their organizations and in the profession.
Ensure you're prepared with New York Tech SHRM Learning System course, designed for SHRM credential candidates. Expand and test your knowledge and practical, real-life competencies in areas critical for HR career success. Find out more about SHRM certification.
“When I originally signed up to take the SHRM test, I was convinced that I could study on my own. But at the urging of colleagues, I signed up for the SHRM Test Prep class at New York Tech and it was the best decision I made.
“The test covers an overwhelming amount of material, which the class helps break down into manageable study sections, showing how each section connects to one another with recurring themes. The teachers are very entertaining and knowledgeable, and framed the test concepts with real life examples that made the material easier to digest and remember. When it came to studying sample test questions, the class definitely helped identify what SHRM was looking for in each question; something I would not have been able to figure out on my own. Beyond test prep, the class provided a community environment of HR professionals where I was able to form relationships and business contacts that will benefit me throughout the rest of my career. I definitely recommend this class to anyone who is looking to take the SHRM CP or SCP.”
–Kristyn M. Lang, ACC | HR Specialist
Portnoy, Messinger, Pearl & Associates, Inc.
Commit to Your Career
UPDATE EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 23, 2021
Update: Currently it’s not advisable to hold gatherings of groups for study purposes so to ensure your safety all SHRM Learning system classes will be meeting remotely in Spring 2021.
- You will have the benefit of preparing virtually with guidance from a SHRM-certified instructors on Monday evening, and Saturday morning through Zoom and on Tuesday evening through Zoom and online.
- We can all use a little extra support from our peers right now. Our virtual course lets you safely network from a distance with other HR professionals in our community.
This intensive 39-hour program combines expert instruction with the 2020 SHRM Learning System®, so you will learn faster, retain more knowledge, and stay on track for success on the exam.
If you take advantage of using the remote proctor exam option you can safely take the SHRM Certification exam from home. Remote proctoring is a convenient and reliable alternative to taking your exam at a Prometric test center.
Schedule of Classes
- Zoom: Section XMGT-016-M01
Meets Mondays, September 20 – December 20
(No class on 11/29)
6 – 9 p.m.
We are allowing people to register up until two weeks after the class starts.
Tuition, before September 9, 2021: $1249 for alumni and SHRM members, $1299 for others
Tuition, after September 9, 2021: $1299 for alumni and SHRM members, $1349 for others
The price includes the SHRM Learning system and access to web-based practice exam.
NOTE: If you are an SHRM member or New York Tech Alumni, please select the class section that has an "S" in it, in order to receive your discount.
- New York Tech has been educating HR professionals for over 35 years.
- Courses are taught by experienced, certified instructors who are HR professional with senior management experience and are focused on facilitating your exam preparation.
- The SHRM Learning System has historically been ranked the #1 HR certification prep tool, helping you to acquire the knowledge and understand the behavioral competencies to prepare for the exam
- Since 2014 New York Tech has been awarded Top 20 representative of the SHRM Learning System®
- We provide a structured learning experience that keeps you on track and gives you the opportunity to network and learn from your peers.
- We offer up to 36 professional development credits (PDCs).
- As a value-added feature, we offer two review sessions on knowledge-based questions and situational judgment questions.
- If you do not pass your certification exam, you may attend our class the following semester for only a $225 re-registration fee, provided you still have the necessary materials.
- Four learning modules that provide an in-depth exploration of the topics within the updated SHRM BoCK.
- Sections on "competencies in action" are interspersed throughout learning modules to highlight how competencies apply to particular topic areas.
- Study using printed books or download material to an e-reader. You can access the SHRM Learning system by PC, laptop, mobile device, or e-reader.
- Test bank with more than 1,000 questions that test your situational judgment, knowledge and comprehension.
- Download flashcards (printed or online).
- 150 SHRM-CP and 150 SHRM-SCP situational judgment questions.
- Complimentary review class for registrants in body of knowledge and situation judgment questions. (instead of extra review class for registrants
- Extra review class offered to registrants.
- The course is available in a 39-hour classroom-based format. Classroom-based courses meet once a week on one of New York Tech's convenient Long Island or New York City campuses.
- These classes are taught by experienced and skilled instructors who have successfully guided several hundred individuals through their certification exams.
Need Funding or Approval
Pursuing your career goals can be particularly challenging right now. To help support you, here are a few ideas for funding your certification journey.
- Check with your employer to see if funding options, such as tuition reimbursement, are available.
- Download our “Approach Your Boss” toolkit (link is to help get the conversation started.
- Take advantage of $50 discount for being a SHRM member or NYIT Alumni
Interested in training your team?
Ask about volume discounts or offering a program at your location. Contact Patricia Brustman at 516.686.7722 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those who successfully complete the course receive a "Certificate of Completion" for Human Resource Management from SHRM and New York Tech. This course can also be used for recertification credit; it has been pre-approved for 36 SHRM PDC credits.
Who Should Enroll in This Course?
The SHRM certification preparation course is designed primarily for individuals seeking SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification.
The following general eligibility criteria, listed below, also apply:
- Applicants must show that they have worked in an HR role for more than 1,000 hours within a calendar year, which equates to one year of experience.
- HR experience can be in an exempt or non-exempt capacity.
- HR experience may be classified directly, as working in an HR role, or indirectly, by consulting, educating, or educating or researching HR practices linked specifically to human resource management.
- SHRM membership is not required.
For those not seeking certification, the SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP course provides a comprehensive and accelerated option for professional development. Participants gain a generalist viewpoint, refresh key ideas and concepts, strengthen their understanding of core HR competencies and increase productivity.
The SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP Certification Handbook describes the SHRM exam process with various items such as preparing for the exam and eligibility requirements.
Instructors for SHRM Learning System Classes
Monday evening: William Ninehan, SHRM-SCP, who has been teaching our New York City classes, will teach the Monday Zoom class. Professor Ninehan is Director of HR Program Development and is on the faculty of New York Institute of Technology's Center for Human Resource Studies, where he teaches graduate and undergraduate HR courses and the SHRM Learning System course. He holds an Ed.S. Degree in Human and Organizational Learning from The George Washington University, and SPHR, GPHR, and PHRca certifications. He is an item writer for the GPHR certification exam.
Online: Shannon Mashburn, MS, SHRM-SCP, SPHR will teach the online virtual class. Shannon is the President of HR Xpress, where she is responsible for providing HR consulting services to businesses seeking outsourced solutions for organizational and workforce planning, onboarding, training and development, benefits analysis, and HR compliance programs customized to align with specific strategic business objectives. Shannon is an executive board member for the Moxxie Mentoring Foundation and additionally is an active member of the SHRM Long Island Chapter where she participates in the Professional Development, Certification, and Workforce Readiness committees and is also a member of the Long Island Chapter of Disrupt HR. Shannon obtained her MS degree from SUNY Stony Brook in Human Resource Management, and has achieved both the SPHR and SHRM-SCP designations.
Saturday: Deidre Duke, SHRM-SCP, who has been teaching our Saturday Long Island classes will teach the Saturday Zoom class. She has 21 years of healthcare HR experience in generalist, leadership and legal roles. After a successful nursing career, Deirdre earned law degrees from St. John's University and Touro School of Law, and practiced at two Long Island law firms prior to entering the Human Resources profession. She holds SPHR, CCP, CBP and coaching certifications.