NEW YORK TECH – TSINGHUA UNIVERSITY SYMPOSIUM
This symposium aims to explore issues related to the urban metropolitan regional of the Pearl River Delta region, also known as the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area of Southern China. During the past four decades, since the initiation of China’s Open Door Policy and the establishment of Special Economic Zones, Guangdong Province, population 115m, has been transformed from a largely rural territory to a complex mix of urbanization, industry and agriculture. Amidst the context of the greatest speed and extent of urbanization ever to occur, southern China has attracted migration from all over China, worldwide investment into the “world’s factory”, and the sustained attention, interest, and involvement of architects in China and abroad. A variety of experts in practice and academia will contribute to this event with presentations followed by a panel discussion, reflecting on the history of this unprecedented urban transformation, its present conditions, and importantly, to speculate on the future of urbanism in Southern China.
This symposium is a collaboration between NYIT School of Architecure & Design and Tsinghua University Graduate School of Architecture in Shenzhen, China.
Welcome & Introduction: Maria R. PERBELLINI, Dean, School of Architecture and Design, New York Institute of Technology
Organized by: Tom VEREBES, Professor, School of Architecture and Design, New York Institute of Technology
Moderated by: Giovanni SANTAMARIA, Chair, School of Architecture and Design, New York Institute of Technology
Presenters / Panelists
- Eunsook CHOI, Director, KPF, New York
- GAO Yan, Associate Professor, Future Human Habitat, Tsinghua University Shenzhen International Graduate School, Shenzhen; Principal Architect, HCD-iDEA Design & Research, Hong Kong, Shenzhen
- LI Shiqiao, Weedon Professor in Asian Architecture, School of Architecture, University of Virginia
- Esther LORENZ, Assistant Professor, School of Architecture, University of Virginia
- Jeffrey RAVEN, Associate Professor, School of Architecture and Design, New York Institute of Technology
- David Grahame SHANE, Adjunct Professor in Urban Design, Columbia University GSAPP
- Tom VEREBES, Professor, School of Architecture and Design, New York Institute of Technology
- XU Weiguo, Executive Dean, Future Human Habitat, Tsinghua University Shenzhen International Graduate School, Shenzhen
NOTE: You must register to receive the pertinent Zoom information. If you already registered for this event, you do not need to register again.REGISTER
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
New York Institute of Technology is a registered provider of AIA/CES educational programs.