Join NYIT College of Engineering and Computing Sciences as we bring together innovators, enablers, and academics who are transforming the world around us. From bioelectronics to assist paralyzed individuals regain movement, to inventions to keep our workplaces safe and healthy from COVID-19, to developments in biofuels to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and much more—learn about the latest research in biotechnology and how it is improving patients’ quality of life and reshaping our vision for the future.Speaker and Panelist Bios
Thank You to Our Sponsors
11 – 11:10 a.m. EST
- Welcome by President Hank Foley, Ph.D
- Welcome by Dean Babak Beheshti and introduction of Keynote Speaker Dr. Kevin Tracey
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Kevin Tracey
11:10 – 11:40 a.m. EST
Dr. Kevin Tracey of Northwell Health and Bioelectronics, will discuss his latest research. Dr. Tracey is a leader and pioneer in the study of the molecular basis of inflammation and bioelectronics medicine. The event will also feature three panels, which include renowned biotech entrepreneurs who will discuss their revolutionary technologies, as well as proponents of biotechnology research and innovation who will address how they are supporting a thriving biotechnological ecosystem of researchers and innovators.
Panel #1: Innovations to Address COVID-19
11:50 a.m. – 12:50 p.m. EST
Hear from a panel of entrepreneurs and company representatives who have developed technologies ranging from cell-based biosensors and smart materials, to the development of a vaccine and rapid testing kits, to a gateway to keep people safe in the workplace. The panel of experts will also describe how a team of innovators from industry and academia developed a ventilator in record time to address the rising number of COVID-19 hospitalizations.
- Moderator: Babak Beheshti, Ph.D., Dean, NYIT College of Engineering and Computing Sciences
- Derek Peterson, Founder and CEO, Soter Technologies
- Tom Powell, Director of Business Development, Boyce Technologies
- Mark Fasciano, Co-Founder and CEO of Rover Diagnostics
- Fang Li, Ph.D., Associate Professor, NYIT College of Engineering and Computing Sciences
Panel #2: The Biotechnology Startup Ecosystem
1 – 1:50 p.m. EST
Meet the people supporting entrepreneurs and researchers by providing the resources they need to succeed. Whether it's locating lab space, identifying investors, or making connections to service providers and strategic partners, it takes more than just an idea to grow and build a successful biotechnology company.
- Moderator: Michael Nizich, Ph.D., New York Tech Director of the Entrepreneurship and Technology Innovation Center (ETIC)
- Carmella Stephens, Ph.D., Partner, Patent Attorney, Carter, DeLuca & Farrell, Sponsor
- Cat Donaldson, Ph.D., MBA, Chief Development & Biotechnology Program Officer, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Technology Transfer Office
- Mary Howard, Serial Entrepreneur and Founder of Design Technologies, and Program Director, ELabNYC
- William Hanes, JD, Ph.D., Chief Operating Officer for iCell Gene Therapeutics, and Senior Fellow at the Center for Biotechnology
- John Pennett, Partner and National Technology and Life Sciences Practice Leader, EisnerAmper
Guest Speaker: Patrick Gruber
2 – 2:30 p.m. EST
Patrick Gruber, CEO of GEVO, a renewable fuel company based in Colorado that transforms renewable energy and carbon into energy-dense liquid hydrocarbons. These liquid hydrocarbons can be used for drop-in transportation fuels such as gasoline, jet fuel, and diesel fuel that have potential to yield net-zero greenhouse gas emissions when measured across the full lifecycle of the products.
Panel #3: Biotechnology: The Future is Here
2:35 – 3:30 p.m. EST
Find out how entrepreneurs are bringing the future to today’s world—amazing companies are making the impossible possible and science fiction real. Paralyzed individuals regaining movement, a headwear device that reads brain waves and controls a computer, biofuel that can launch a rocket, and many more exciting biotechnological advances will be discussed.
- Moderator: Aydin Farajidavar, Ph.D., Associate Professor, NYIT College of Engineering and Computing Sciences
- Chad Bouton, Vice President of Advanced Engineering & Technology, Northwell Health and Founder of Neuvotion
- AJ Keller, Founder and CEO of Neurosity
- Sascha Deri, CEO, BluShift Aerospace
- Rose-Marie Auclair, Co-Founder and CSO of Woodlight
- Alan Kriegstein, President, ALA Scientific Instruments Inc.