Student FAQs & Online Help Form

Important Updates

Updated December 19, 2021

Students: Submit Your Questions

Admissions Information and Resources (Spring 2022)

My family is experiencing significant financial challenges. Can my financial aid be reviewed?

If there have been changes to your family’s financial circumstances since the FAFSA was filed and/or the Financial Assistance Package was received from New York Tech, then our financial aid counselors are prepared to help you. All students must submit a one-page typed personal statement thoroughly explaining the request.

If any of the following situations apply to you or a supporting family member, please indicate and submit the appropriate documentation:

  • Unemployment – Proof of unemployment
  • Health Issues and/or Medical Expenses – Letterhead statement from a doctor or other health professional explaining the medical condition and any treatments, surgeries, etc. performed
  • Death of a Family Member – Death certificate or obituary
  • Other circumstances – Please contact the Office of Financial Aid with more information specific to your situation.

Please complete one of these two forms online and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid:

If you have questions and would like to meet with a financial aid counselor, email or sign up for a financial aid appointment.

What can I expect at a virtual advising appointment?

As a newly admitted New York Tech undergraduate student, you’ll have the opportunity to complete your advisement and registration with the Advising and Enrichment Center (AEC). Registration is now open! Schedule your advising appointment now!

  • Meet virtually, one-on-one, with an AEC Advisor to review your program requirements.
  • Determine your first-semester sequence of courses.
  • Meet virtually with a peer advisor to create your spring 2022 schedule and register for classes.
  • Speak with an Enrollment Services Center representative about your financial aid package.

If you’re required to take a math placement exam, you will need to do that first! Check your Admitted Student Portal to find out if you must take a placement exam.

How can I visit New York Tech?

We are hosting a variety of virtual options where you can find out more about New York Tech. We strongly encourage you to join us at a virtual event or speak with an admissions or financial aid counselor via phone, email, or Zoom.

In-person campus tours are now available at New York campuses. Sign up for a tour.

Can I defer enrollment to a future semester?

Of course. If you’d like to defer your application, please contact your personal admissions counselor. We will process the deferral request and, if applicable, issue a new, updated I-20 for international students.

My question isn’t answered. Where do I go for help?

Please reach out to your personal admissions counselor, or email or, and we’ll get you an answer.

Also, see FAQs related to academics, university information, and housing.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top »

Advising Support (including registration and holds)

Will advising and registration for the spring semester continue as planned?

Yes! Advising and registration for the spring semester are currently underway. Advising will continue to be offered via virtual meetings at that time. Please make an appointment to meet with an advisor. If your advisor is not displaying availability, find your advisor here and request an appointment directly.

If you are a spring 2022 newly admitted student, please visit your Admitted Student Portal for information on your next steps.

I want to graduate as soon as possible. Can someone help me plan out my remaining course requirements?

Now more than ever, it’s important to make sure you are on track to graduate on time and, if possible, earlier than planned. Advisors at the Advising and Enrichment Center (AEC) are ready to help you identify your remaining degree requirements and figure out how best to complete them within your desired timeframe. Schedule an appointment with an AEC advisor to work on planning for your degree completion.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top »

Campus Facilities

What is the screening protocol for accessing campus?

To access the Long Island and New York City campuses, all students, faculty, and staff must:

  • Be vaccinated and upload proof of vaccination. Proof of vaccination should be uploaded here. Booster shots are strongly encouraged and should be uploaded as well.
  • Wear masks indoors in public areas and classrooms, irrespective of vaccination status. Masks should cover both your nose and your mouth.
  • Complete an online COVID-19 health screen each day prior to arriving on campus. You can access the Health Screen on the portal.

Everyone wishing to access the Long Island and New York City campuses is required to show their COVID-19 Health Screen to New York Tech security guards each day upon entry.

  • Long Island campus: Please enter at Main Campus Road and be prepared to show your health screen at entry. We will have a "fast pass" lane for those who have received green screen approval on the daily Health Screen.
  • New York City campus: Please check in at 1855 Broadway to receive a security badge to gain access to all buildings on campus.

Remember to leave plenty of time to get through security, as delays may occur.

You can find additional details about campus access policy here.

Get more information about COVID-19 vaccination requirements, exemptions, and testing here.

Are masks required on campus if I'm vaccinated?

Yes, masks are required indoors on campus, whether you are vaccinated or not. Masks should cover both your nose and your mouth. We strongly recommend KN95 or N95 masks or, at a minimum, surgical masks, since cloth masks have been shown to be less effective at preventing the spread of the Omicron variant.

What are the social/physical distancing requirements on campus?

In accordance with CDC guidance, social/physical distancing is not mandated for institutions that have implemented a vaccine mandated. In an abundance of caution, we ask members of our New York Tech community to maintain physical distancing when possible and refrain from holding large gatherings. New York Tech has mandated mask-wearing indoors to further reduce risk.

Will I still be able to receive my accommodations through the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS)?

Yes, the OAS will work with students to make sure accommodations are provided with as little interruption as possible. Please contact Walter Mayer ( for assistance.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top »

Courses and Other Academic Information

Is the spring semester going to be online or in-person?

Spring semester courses will begin on January 24, 2022.

Courses are being offered in four modalities: in-person, online, blended, and hybrid remote. Please check your class schedule for the instruction mode of each class.


  • Classes meet in-person on campus and via videoconferencing, i.e. Zoom, on a rotating schedule to maintain social distancing. If you are unable to physically attend a class, you will need to notify your professor that you will be attending virtually.


  • Classes meet online via Canvas. Students participate on a flexible schedule, but assignments will have a due date. There may be occasional activities via videoconferencing, i.e. Zoom.


  • A part of this class will meet in person on campus and the other online via Canvas.

Hybrid Remote

  • Classes meet via videoconferencing, i.e. Zoom, on a designated day and time. At the professor’s discretion, there may be some in-person experience or online activity in Canvas.

How will I know which of my courses will be taught virtually and which will be taught in person?

The location of the course (building/room #) will tell you if the class is being taught in person or virtually. A class with a physical campus building/room location has some in-person instruction. Classes being taught virtually have a building/room location of “Zoom.”

Be sure to check your class schedule for the most up-to-date class location. You can also check with your faculty advisor for additional information about courses within your major.

What if I have concerns about attending a class that is designated to meet in person?

Effective Spring 2022, students are expected to attend their courses in the modality assigned. If you are enrolled in courses taught in a modality that you prefer not to follow, or are unable to follow, please work with your advisor to see if a change in schedule can be made prior to the start of the spring semester or during the Add/Drop Period. For more information, please see the Course Attendance Policy

I am nervous about taking classes in a remote environment. What resources will be available to help me with my classes?

Online Learning Assistants (OLAs) at the Learning Center can assist you with aspects of online learning, including technical skills such as Canvas, Google Drive, Zoom, etc., as well as student success skills such as time management, staying on task, study skills, and organization. Schedule a virtual appointment today.

You can also check out the Finding Success in Online Learning course to learn about resources, skills, and strategies to help you be successful. This course includes helpful information on using technology—like Zoom—effectively, as well as critical skills and strategies for time management, staying focused and motivated, taking online tests, and finding a suitable study space wherever you are.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top »

COVID-19 Resources

Community Health Resources

Are there agencies/websites that provide food, housing, and other information that may be helpful to me during this time?

Visit local government websites for updates on programs and resources that can help with food, housing, and other needs during the current health crisis.

Are there resources to track local testing/positivity rates or to determine potential exposure to COVID-19?

You can monitor COVID-19 public health metrics on the New York State regional and county dashboards.

New York State has also developed COVID Alert NY, a free app for iPhone and Android smartphones, which is a voluntary, anonymous, exposure-notification app that tracks when people are close to another app-enabled smartphone using Bluetooth technology. The app then alerts you if you were in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19. For more information, please visit the New York State website.

Medical Resources

Where can I get a flu shot, COVID test or vaccination, or information about COVID?

Long Island and New York City campus students may make an appointment for a free flu shot or for COVID-19 test or vaccination at the Academic Health Center on the Long Island campus. Call 516.686.1300 to schedule an appointment or if you have questions related to COVID.

Mental Health Resources

I’m feeling stressed. What should I do?

We are here for you—please remember, that you are not alone! It’s understandable that members of our New York Tech community may have concerns and anxieties about the uncertainty of current times. If you’re feeling anxious or uneasy, please reach out to Counseling and Wellness Services at our campuses in Long Island (516.686.7683) or New York City (212.261.1773) to talk or make an appointment.

For additional information and suggestions, please see our “Bear Package” for students.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top »

COVID-19 Student Vaccination and Testing

Do students need to be vaccinated for COVID-19 if they are taking class remotely and don't plan to access campus?

Yes. New York Tech is requiring all faculty, staff, and students enrolled in our New York campuses to be fully vaccinated or have an approved exemption.

What does it mean to be fully vaccinated?

Individuals are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving their final dose of the vaccine. For example, the CDC considers people fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Everyone is also strongly encouraged to get a booster shot when they are eligible.

Are masks required on campus if I am vaccinated?

Yes, masks are required indoors on campus, whether you are vaccinated or not. Masks should cover both your nose and your mouth. We strongly recommend KN95 or N95 masks or, at a minimum, surgical masks, since cloth masks have been shown to be less effective at preventing the spread of the Omicron variant.

Where can I get vaccinated?

Free vaccinations and COVID-19 tests are available at the Academic Health Care Center (516.686.1300) on our Long Island campus. All New York Tech community members are welcome. Students in New York City can also get vaccinated at one of New York City's vaccination sites.

How can I provide my proof of vaccination to New York Tech?

In addition to the CDC Vaccine Card, alternate forms of proof are acceptable. Proof of vaccination must include name, date of birth, and date of last vaccination. Note: While the New York State Excelsior Pass generally does not include type of vaccine and date of last vaccination, the Excelsior Pass Plus does include the correct information. So, acceptable forms of proof include:

  • CDC Vaccine Card
  • Health Insurance Vaccine Confirmation Letter
  • International Vaccine Record/Card
  • Excelsior Pass Plus

All students, faculty, and staff will be required to be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination should be uploaded here. Proof of booster vaccination should be uploaded as well.

What vaccines will New York Tech accept?

New York Tech will accept all vaccines that have received final or Emergency Use Authorization approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, as well as vaccines with an emergency use authorization from the World Health Organization.

Will there be exemptions to immunization against COVID-19?

Limited medical or religious exemptions from the vaccination requirement will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Students may request an exemption from the vaccination requirement for medical or religious reasons by submitting the appropriate exemption form and supporting documentation and uploading them here.

Vaccine exemptions approved in the fall will carry over to the spring.

Anyone granted an exemption will need to provide proof of a negative COVID test within the previous seven days to access campus. They may also need to meet other testing and other public health requirements that vaccinated community members do not.

Students can use the following exemption forms:

Completed forms must be uploaded here, using the secured portal. Please do NOT email completed forms and/or supporting documentation.

How long will it take to process my exemption request?

Exemption requests will be processed as quickly as practicable but it may take up to 10 business days (or longer) following submission of all required documentation, depending on the specific circumstances of the request. All exemption requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Will my vaccination status be kept private?

New York Tech will follow best practices and comply with applicable laws in maintaining privacy and security with respect to employee vaccination status.

Can a professor or faculty member ask me if I'm vaccinated?

New York Tech will follow best practices relating to questions about vaccination status, and professor/faculty members should not engage students regarding vaccination status. Faculty members with questions regarding compliance with this aspect of the vaccination policy should address

Who do I contact if I have questions about the COVID-19 policy or vaccination status requirements?

Students who have questions about New York Tech’s COVID-19 policy or vaccination status requirements, please contact the Counseling and Wellness Center at

Can I take a COVID-19 test on campus? Is it free?

Long Island and New York City campus students may make an appointment for a free COVID-19 test at the Academic Health Center on the Long Island campus. Call 516.686.1300 to schedule an appointment.

In addition, New York State residents can use this search tool to find a nearby testing site. As of this posting, testing is also available at the New York State-operated drive-thru sites at Jones Beach and Stony Brook University (free for New York State residents).

How long does it take to receive my test results, and are the results confidential?

Test results can take one or more days to receive and are confidential.

What happens if I test positive for COVID-19?

Testing will help diagnose individuals who may be infected but are asymptomatic. If you test positive for COVID-19 OR if you have been in direct contact with someone who is positive you must notify the university.

If you are tested and show a positive result for COVID-19, regardless of whether you are symptomatic or asymptomatic, you may only return to work or class based on the following:

  • If you are symptomatic:
    • You may return after at least five days of isolation from the onset of symptoms.
  • If you are asymptomatic:
    • You may return after five days of isolation from the first positive test if you remain asymptomatic, OR
    • With a doctor’s note giving permission to return to work or class.

While we recognize we cannot eliminate all risks of transmission on campus, we are committed to doing our part to minimize potential risks to our community.

Do I need to notify New York Tech if I test positive for COVID-19 or have direct contact with someone who is positive?

Yes. If a student becomes aware that they are positive or has been in direct contact with someone who is positive:

  1. The student must notify New York Tech by emailing Please do not send any personal medical information in any emails you send to New York Tech.
  2. The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) or designee will advise the student on the appropriate action (i.e., isolation).
  3. The CMO or designee will assess the need for contact tracing on campus and notify the health department, as appropriate.
  4. The CMO or designee will inform New York Tech contacts (as determined through contact tracing) of the appropriate follow-up action (e.g., testing, quarantine).

NOTE: Based on the most recent policy updates from the CDC, if you are exposed to COVID-19 and are fully vaccinated you do not need to quarantine, but should get tested at least five days after having close contact with an infected person, watch for symptoms, and wear a mask for ten days.

What are the other ways in which the university is increasing safety for students on campus?

Our overall strategy to reduce the chances of anyone coming into contact with the COVID-19 virus while on campus is described in our campus reopening plan. We ask that everyone cooperate and do their part to maintain a healthy campus environment and to be aware of student compliance policies.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top »

Housing and Residential Life

Will housing be offered at the NYC and Long Island campuses?
  • We are no longer providing housing accommodations for Long Island campus students. You can find information and assistance regarding off-campus living near our Long Island campus here.
  • New York City housing accommodations will be provided at the Riverside Residence. Information regarding the cost of New York City housing and meal plans can be found here.

New York Tech is requiring all students, faculty, and staff at our New York campuses to be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination can be uploaded here. Proof of booster vaccination should be uploaded as well.

Resident students who are unvaccinated will be required to take weekly COVID-19 tests. Vaccinations and COVID-19 tests are available at the Academic Health Care Center (516.686.1300) on our Long Island campus. You can also find vaccination and COVID-19 testing sites located throughout New York City.

All students will be required to wear masks in all public spaces within the residence hall, regardless of their vaccination status.

What are the testing, quarantine, and vaccination requirements for international students planning to live in the New York City residence halls?

International students will be required to follow the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requirements listed below for both COVID-19 vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals.

  1. Submit a negative PCR COVID-19 test taken 1–3 days prior to travel to the U.S. and move-in to the residence hall.
  2. Get tested for COVID-19 3–5 days after your arrival in the US and provide test results.
  3. If you are vaccinated, upload your vaccination record here.
  4. All international students, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to quarantine for seven days after your arrival with a negative COVID-19 test result and for ten days without a test result.
  5. All COVID-19 test results may be uploaded here, using the same portal used to submit the COVID-19 vaccination record.

For more information regarding CDC guidelines, please check the links below:

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top »

International Students

I am an international student. Am I still welcome? How will my visa be affected?

All international students are welcome for the fall and future semesters. By offering courses remotely, we hope to provide you with access to courses until we are able to offer additional in-person instruction. If your country is currently experiencing shipping delays, then you may receive a delay in receiving your I-20. However, we are emailing students their acceptance letters and I-20s.

I cannot submit a notarized affidavit of support form due to the COVID-19 lockdown. Can I get my I-20?

Yes, please provide an affidavit of support signed and dated by the person who will be sponsoring your studies and we will be able to issue an I-20.

Is an online banking statement acceptable to get my I-20?

Yes, online bank statements are acceptable.

Can I switch my campus to Vancouver, Canada?

In order to switch to the Vancouver campus, you must submit a separate application applying to the program you would like to study in Vancouver. You can inquire with the Vancouver Admissions office about program availability by emailing

Will international travelers be required to quarantine upon their arrival in the U.S., preventing them from accessing campus?

In accordance with the New York State Department of Health regulations, international travelers must follow CDC guidelines. Currently, this requires international travelers to obtain a test three-to-five days after arrival. The traveler should remain quarantined and self-monitor for symptoms for seven days if the test is negative, and ten days if no test is taken. Faculty, staff, and students should follow the required vaccine mandate to gain access to campus.

What is the action plan for international students who still want to study at New York Tech but may not be able to travel to the United States?

We understand that U.S. consulate offices may be closed for visa applications. Students who are not able to secure a visa in time to arrive for the fall semester can begin by studying their program online from their home country. You will need to speak with your advisor when you create your class schedule to ensure at least one in-person or hybrid course is on your fall schedule. Upon request, we can defer your I-20 to a later date so you can request a visa to enter later in the semester. Students must enter the country before a certain date in order to study in the U.S. for the fall semester. We have a hard internal deadline of September 20 (end of the add/drop period) for students to enter the U.S.

Can I take online courses from my home country?

Yes. Students should contact their academic advisor to find which classes will be available for them to study from their home country. If you are a new student and taking classes online, you will not be considered an F-1 since you have not yet entered the country. Your F-1 status can only be activated once you have entered the country.

Note: Current students looking to take online courses overseas can do so only if they had enrolled in courses full time prior to March 9, 2020.

I received my I-20 and acceptance letter via email. Will you send me the hard copy at a later date?

Yes, you can request a physical copy of Form I-20. Keep in mind that digital Form I-20s are still being accepted for the 2021–2022 academic year, as per USCIS guidance.

Can I use the I-20 and acceptance letter sent to me via email for my visa interview?

Yes, you can use the I-20 sent to you electronically to apply for your visa.

Due to COVID-19, my home country’s government has instituted a lockdown order closing all banks, schools, and businesses. I cannot obtain my official application documents and/or I-20 documents. What should I do?

You can submit copies of documents until you are able to obtain official documents.

If I took classes online in the spring from my home country and my visa is denied for an upcoming semester, can I get a refund of my tuition or deposit?

Classes taken online from overseas follow the same refund policy as classes taken in the U.S. The refund policy can be found in the New York Tech catalog. Deposit refunds are allowed in the case of visa refusal for students who have not started or attended classes.

Immigration Status

Can I study from my home country? Does this affect my immigration status?

If you are a new student for spring 2022, your courses must be in-person, or have an in-person element, to be allowed to enter the United States. Students who have been enrolled in courses prior to March 9, 2020, will be allowed to have a fully online course load.

If you are a new student and planning to enroll and take online courses from overseas, you will not be considered an F-1 student.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security guidance states students are able to maintain their immigration status while continuing their semester’s courses online in the U.S. or abroad. In addition, you must continue to be enrolled full-time (12 credits for undergraduates and 9 credits for graduates) and make normal progress toward your degree.

If you are in your final semester and do not require a full-time course load to complete degree requirements, you are allowed to be less than full-time. You still need to be authorized for part-time.

SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) has confirmed that if not all your courses can be delivered online, then the full-time requirement can be waived as a direct result of the impact of the COVID-19 emergency situation.

Will I be able to maintain my immigration status and return for the spring 2022 semester if I went back to my home country, even if it’s for more than five months?

SEVP has confirmed that the five-month temporary absence provision will not apply during the COVID-19 crisis. This ruling is still in effect, but only students who had been enrolled on March 9, 2020 are eligible. Students who are starting their first semester after March 9, 2020 cannot take their courses completely online.

Once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, you will be required to enter the country within 30 days of the start of classes.

What happens if I request a gap semester or year beginning spring 2022?

F-1 regulations refer to a gap semester or year as a Leave of Absence. If you are considering a leave, contact the Office of International Education for advice, as this decision can have a significant impact on your F-1 student status.

If you are choosing to take a leave of absence for the spring 2022 semester, you are not allowed to be outside of the country for more than five months, therefore it would not be advisable to do so if you have already returned home for your summer vacation as the five months would have elapsed by the start of the spring 2022 semester and you would require a new I-20 to enter at that point.

As of now, government guidance does not provide any special instructions or accommodations for those considering a Leave of Absence.


We do not recommend traveling out of the country at this time as there are expected changes to employment restrictions. Consular interviews may also be delayed due to backlogs caused by the COVID-19 crisis. Interviews previously scheduled may be canceled or rescheduled.

When traveling overseas, be sure to check the travel restrictions of the location that you will be traveling to prior to your leave. In addition, if you are planning to renew your visa during travel do your best to secure a visa appointment prior to your leaving the country. This is due to the increases in delays of visa processing during this time.

Visit our Covid-Related Travel Information page for more travel details.

Where can I find up-to-date information on travel restrictions to the U.S.?

Visit the ICE website as well as NAFSA‘s COVID-19 Restrictions on U.S. Visas and Entry. You can also visit the websites of the U.S. Embassy of your home country.

You can also visit our Covid-Related Travel Information page.


I am currently working on OPT/STEM. Can I work fewer than 20 hours per week because of the COVID-19 situation?

Government guidance indicates that for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, students on OPT who are working fewer than 20 hours per week are still engaging in OPT and are NOT accumulating any days of unemployment.

Am I allowed to work remotely temporarily while on OPT/STEM due to COVID-19?

Yes, you can work remotely temporarily for a U.S. employer while on OPT.

If you are currently engaged in the STEM OPT extension, you don’t have to submit a new I-983 if working remotely.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top »


I am not feeling well and am not able to attend class and/or complete assignments. What should I do?

Students who do not feel well and are unable to attend class(es) and/or complete assignments should contact their professor(s) immediately. The professor will provide you with available options for your circumstance.

If you need to consider withdrawing from all classes for the remainder of the semester due to an extended illness, please contact the Office of Student Life and a staff member will inform you about the “withdrawal for health reasons” process, including academic and financial implications.

I was planning to study abroad during the fall 2021 semester. Will I still be able to do so?

All New York Tech-led study abroad through December 31, 2021 has been canceled. Students who are traveling abroad with outside providers before December 31, 2021 are encouraged to follow outside provider travel guidelines, along with current advisories from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Students that will travel abroad with outside providers will be required to purchase New York Tech international health insurance and submit a waiver prior to departure releasing New York Tech of any responsibility should evacuation occur during the program. Students who received an award for the Edward Guiliano Global Fellowship should note that they are still required to engage in their projects remotely and that international travel is not allowed at this time.

If recipients have any questions regarding their award, they should follow up with the director of the program, Amy Bravo at We also remind any student, faculty, or staff member who travels to any country on the CDC’s level 2 and level 3 warning list that they should self-isolate and stay away from campus for two weeks after returning to the U.S.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top »