Robert J. Koenig, Ed.D., director for the New York Tech Immersion programs, immerses students in signature educational and career seminar presentations while engaging them in New York City's iconic cultural, community, historical, and social experiences.
Koenig serves on leading hospitality boards and has published works in peer-reviewed research journals and university textbooks. He has been featured on national television, radio talk shows, and cited in The Washington Post, Lodging Magazine, Hotelier, and other publications.
Koenig has presented research papers at conferences domestically and internationally. Invited keynote presentations include speaker engagements to young scholars at West Point Military Academy, N.Y.; Dignitaries of China's Peking University, and other venues.
As a professional chef and businessman, his experience includes serving as chef at the 1985 Inauguration of President Ronald Reagan and Vice President George H. Bush; general manager/executive chef at The Old Original Bookbinders, Philadelphia, Pa.; and corporate executive for Tidewater Inn Management, overseeing five food and beverage hotel properties.
He has cooked for high-profile individuals including two U.S. Presidents, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Merv Griffin, Robert Wagner, Ava Gabor, Jesse Jackson, Don Rickles, Tony Randall, Jack Klugman, Donna Summers, and others.
Koenig oversees New York Tech's Debra A. Vogel Transcendence Programs, which engage students in academic, civic, cultural, professional, and social learning experiences.
Under Koenig's guidance, New York Tech is officially represented at the annual New York City Veterans Day Parade. He also established a partnership with the Long Island Viscardi PROSPER Vocational program.
As an associate dean, Koenig was on the administrative team that assisted the School in receiving AACSB accreditation.
Koenig established international educational programs and partnerships in Australia, Romania, France, Switzerland, Vancouver, B.C., South Korea, and China.
Recent Projects and Research
- Koenig maintains beehives on the New York Tech New York City campus to educate students on the environmental benefits of beehives, agriculture, and sustainability awareness.
- Koenig created Bee-Vogel Honey whereby all proceeds of honey sales are utilized to support student scholarships.
- Koenig and Ms. Debra. A. Vogel established three scholarship funds to assist New York Tech students with tuition assistance.
- He advocates support for the U.S. War Dogs Association and North Shore Animal League.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Koenig, R. J. (2011). A template for analyzing costs associated with educational delivery modes. Journal of International Education Research, 7 (1), 5–14.
- Koenig, R. J. (2010). A study in analyzing effectiveness of undergraduate course delivery: Classroom, online and video conference from a student and faculty perspective. The Contemporary Issues in Education Research Journal. 3, (10). 13–26.
- Koenig, R. J. (2010). Faculty satisfaction with distance education: A comparative analysis on effectiveness of undergraduate course delivery modes. Journal of College Teaching & Learning, 7 (2), 17–24.
- Koenig, R. J. (2009). Comparing effectiveness of undergraduate course delivery: A student perspective. Journal of College Teaching & Learning, 6 (2), 69–80.
- The Catering Industry. In Hospitality Management 241–250. Kendall Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa 2002. 10th Edition
- The Catering Industry. In Hospitality Management 241–248. Kendall Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa 2000. 9th Edition
- Introduction to the Catering Industry. In Hospitality and Tourism – An Introduction to the Industry, 242–246. Kendall Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa 1998
- Dunne, J.H.; Koenig, R.J. (2021) Case Study: Main Street Retailer Response to Covid-19 Related Government Restrictions on Operations. The Institute for Business and Finance Research, May 25–28, 2021, Costa Rica.
- Koenig, R.J. (2019) Academic Institutions' Responsibility to Engage Students in Social, Environmental and Community Service. The Turn Out – Screening and Talk Back on Human Trafficking. NYIT Auditorium on Broadway, New York, NY.
- Koenig, R.J.; Richard, A. (2017, October) Implementing sustainability understanding into curriculums of higher education. Paper presented at the Sustainability through innovation in the hospitality industry: A global perspective. Hangzhou, China.
- Koenig, R.J. (2017, January). Traditional, Online and Teleconference Delivery Modes Effectiveness: How They Correlate to undergraduate Student's Ethnicity, Major and Academic Year of Study. Paper presented at the Clute Institute for Academic Research Teaching and Learning Conference. Honolulu, Hawaii.(Best Paper Award)
- Koenig, R.J. (2017) The need for implementing sustainability understanding within the curriculums of higher education. Presentation at the Hotel Association of New York City, INC.: Sustainability Committee Waste Management Conference. June 29, 2017. NYIT Auditorium on Broadway; New York, NY.
- Koenig, R.J. Keynote Speaker (2017) Understanding U.S. culture, professionalism, and soft-skills in business leadership. Presentation at West Point United States Military Academy. July 30, 2017. Herbert Hall Alumni Center, West Point, New York.
- Koenig, R.J. Keynote Speaker Panel (2017). An NYIT tradition: Creating student leaders with core values, character, and principles for life. NYIT's Global Partner Summit: Building and sustaining a global network. June 4, 2017. Old Westbury, New York.
- Koenig, R.J. (2016 ) Tipping and legislation; Presentation at the NYC Hospitality Alliance Conference; March 2, 2016; NYIT Auditorium on Broadway; New York, NY.
- Koenig, R.J. Keynote Speaker (2016) Business communication, leadership, and hospitality etiquette. Presentation at West Point United States Military Academy. July 31, 2016; Herbert Hall Alumni Center, West Point, New York.
- Koenig, R.J. (2015) Panel Discussion: Future challenges facing the hospitality industry. Presentation at the Long Island Hotel and Lodging Association. December 3, 2015; Melville Marriott Hotel, Long Island, NY.
- Koenig, R J. (2014) Sustainability in the hospitality industry: A global perspective – Food, operations, work culture and community. Presentation at the NYIT Global Center for Hospitality Management at NYIT, New York State Restaurant Association, and Green Hospitality Initiative Conference. December 2, 2014. NYIT Auditorium on Broadway; New York, NY.
- Koenig, R. J. Keynote Speaker (2013) Addressing environmental and sustainability concerns in the hospitality industry; and academic institutions' responsibility in preparing students for career success. Presentation delivered at the BCA Global 20th Annual Awareness Salute Dinner; November 8; Guastavino's Midtown, New York, NY.
- Koenig, R.J. Keynote Speaker (2013, October) American cultural tastes, social mannerism, and the 1985 presidential inauguration. Presentation to dignitaries of China's Peking University; CEO's of leading businesses and celebrity media personnel. Sheraton Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- Koenig, R.J. (2012, January). Are the demographic characteristics of students related to their preferences for once undergraduate course delivery mode over another? Paper presented at The Global Conference on Business and Finance. Honolulu, Hawaii. (Best Paper Award)
- Koenig, R..J. (2010, January). An overview in comparing effectiveness of undergraduate course delivery: Classroom, online, and video conference from a student and faculty perspective. Paper presented at the Clute Institute for Academic Research Teaching and Learning Conference. Orlando, Florida. (Best Paper Award)
- Koenig, R. J. (2009, January). Comparing effectiveness of undergraduate course delivery: A faculty perspective. Paper presented at the Clute Institute for Academic Research Teaching and Learning Conference. Oahu, Hawaii USA. (Best Paper Award)
- Koenig, R.J. (2008, June) Comparing effectiveness of undergraduate course delivery: A student perspective. Paper presented at the Clute Institute for Academic Research Business and Economics Conference. Salzburg, Austria. "
Professional Honors and Awards
- New York Tech School of Management Lifetime Achievement Award 2021
- Honorary Professorship, Shandong Technology and Business University, Yantai, China 2017
- School of Management M.B.A. Executive Program Professorship Award 2017
- Strategic Partnership Award; Tourism College of Zhejiang, Hangzhou China 2017
- Suffolk County Long Island Legislative Proclamation Award for Hospitality Education Excellence 2017
- Discover Long Island Partner of the Year Award 2017
- New York Tech Presidential Engagement Award – Student Engagement in Global Education 2015
- SGA Outstanding Faculty Recognition Award 2012
- SGA Club Adviser of the Year 2006
- Received Four "Best Research Paper Awards" at Peer-reviewed Conferences – 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2017
- Fiscal Year 1989 Food Cost Award, B.F. Saul Co. – Hotel and Restaurant Division
- U.S. Presidential Medal – 1985 Inauguration for President Ronald Reagan and Vice President George Bush
Courses Taught at New York Tech
- BUSI 100 Management Orientation
- BUSIE 290 Internship
- BUSIE 650 Internship
- HOSP 730 Food Culture and Contemporary Issues
- HOSP 100 Introduction to Hospitality
- HOSP 125 Culinary Theory and Style
- HOSP 135 Culinary Techniques
- HOSP 140 Purchasing, Procurement and Supply Management
- HOSP 220 Strategic Planning and Marketing
- HOSP 240 Operations Cost Control
- HOSP 270 Supervised Fieldwork
- HOSP 315 Beverage Evaluation: Old World Wine
- HOSP 325 Beverage Evaluation: New World Wine
- HOSP 330 Meetings, Events, Conventions and Expositions
- HOSP 335 Beverage Evaluation: Distilled Spirits and Beer
- HOSP 355 Hospitality Internship
- HOSP 420 Leadership and Employee Relations
- HOSP 430 Facility and Concept Development
- HOSP 440 Menu Development
- HOSP 460 Entrepreneurship, Franchise and Multi-Unit Management
- HOSP 465 Experiential based Learning: Practicum in Hospitality Management
- HOSP 470 Senior Seminar Capstone