Robert J. Koenig is responsible for the start, development, and growth of the NYIT-New York City Hospitality Management Program as well as NYIT's M.B.A. concentration in Hospitality Management. He serves as the faculty advisor for NYIT's School of Management (SOM) Honor Society, Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter, and is the founder of The Society of Hosteurs. He serves on the Hotel Association of New York City's Sustainability Committee and an annual judge for the Hotel Association of NYC Sustainability Awards for New York City. As an NYIT Associate Dean, Koenig was on the administrative School of Management team that assisted in the school receiving AACSB accreditation, February 2015. Published works include manuscripts in an array of academic peer-reviewed research journals and university textbooks.
He earned the following degrees from Johnson and Wales University: an Ed.D. in Educational Leadership and a master's, a bachelor's, and three associate's degrees pertaining to the disciplines of culinary arts, hotel administration, and food and beverage management.
He has presented research papers at academic peer-reviewed conferences within the United States and internationally; invited keynote speaker presentations include: young scholars at West Point Military Academy, N.Y.; dignitaries of China's Peking University, businesses and celebrity media personnel, Sheraton Pentagon, Washington, D.C.; and keynote for the BCA Global to hospitality leaders, Guastavino's, New York.
Koenig has also been the recipient of industry awards, including "Partner of the Year 2013" with the New York chapter, PCMA, as well as academic awards for faculty leadership, teaching, and community service. He has received four "Best Research Paper" awards by The Institute for Business and Finance and Clute Research Institute. In 2015, Koenig received the NYIT Presidential Engagement Award for student engagement in global education.
As a professional chef, his experience includes serving as executive sous chef at the 1985 Inauguration of President Ronald Reagan and Vice President George Bush (receiving a Gold Medal with the Inauguration President Seal); General Manager/Executive Chef at Originals Bookbinders, Philadelphia, Pa., and Corporate Executive Chef for Sheraton overseeing seven hotel properties. He has cooked for high-profile individuals including two United States Presidents, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Lena Horne, Robert Wagner, Ava Gabor, Jesse Jackson, Don Rickles, Jacques Cousteau, Donna Summers, and many others.
Koenig has been featured and cited in many major newspapers, magazines and journals including Hotelier; Lodging; and recognized in the 2016 NAFSA – Association of International Educators 2016 Internationalizing the Campus, Profile of Success at College and Universities, for his work in building international summer education programs – which was part of the portfolio in NYIT receiving the 2016 Senator Paul Simon Award for Campus Internationalization. Koenig has established international educational programs and partnerships in Australia; Romania; Vancouver, B.C.; South Korea; and China.
He has appeared on nationwide television for cooking demonstrations and hosted a radio talk show. Since 1994, he has been committed to community outreach programs to help those in need including City Harvest; Covenant House; St. Jude Children's Research and North Shore Animal League.
Koenig has installed two NYIT rooftop beehives in an effort to promote sustainability, and articulates that "beehives help preserve the environment, protect it, and enhance our communities." To assist NYIT students and their studies, he established the Bee-lieve Hospitality Student Leadership Scholarship Fund.
- Tourism College of Zhejiang (TCZJ) in Hangzhou, China, 2016. Developing partnership: Student exchange programs; Faculty training; Summer program; Global conference.
- Hallym University South Korea Study Abroad at NYIT Hospitality Program, 2012 – Present, Created a four week educational, professional and cultural learning experience for international students.
- Practicum Case Study: March 21, 2016: Hilton Times Square Green Key Eco-Rating Program: Green Key Assessment Summary Report & On-Site Audit Checklist.
- Practicum Case Study: April 30, 2015: Benjamin Hotel Green Key Eco-Rating Program: Green Key Assessment Summary Report & On-Site Audit Checklist.
- Created December 2, 2014 Conference: Sustainability in the hospitality industry: A global perspective—Food, operations, work culture and community. Hosted by NYIT Global Center for Hospitality Management at NYIT, New York State Restaurant Association and Green Hospitality Initiative. NYIT AoB, New York, NY.
- Koenig, R. J. (2011). A template for analyzing costs associated with educational delivery modes. Journal of International Education Research, 7 (1), 5–14.
- Koenig, R. J. (2010). A study in analyzing effectiveness of undergraduate course delivery: Classroom, online and video conference from a student and faculty perspective. The Contemporary Issues in Education Research Journal. 3, (10). 13-26.
- Koenig, R. J. (2010). Faculty satisfaction with distance education: A comparative analysis on effectiveness of undergraduate course delivery modes. Journal of College Teaching & Learning, 7 (2), 17–24.
- Koenig, R. J. (2009). Comparing effectiveness of undergraduate course delivery: A student perspective. Journal of College Teaching & Learning, 6 (2), 69–80.
- The Catering Industry. In Hospitality Management 241-250. Kendall Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa 2000. 10th Edition.
- Graduate: Food, Culture and Contemporary Issues
- Undergraduate: Practicum Case Studies in Assessing Sustainability in Hospitality Lodging Facilities
Professional Honors & Awards
- U.S. Presidential Gold Medal
- Executive Sous Chef, 1985 Inauguration for President Ronald Reagan and Vice President George Bush, "Taste of America" Inaugural Event
- NYIT Presidential Award 2015: Student Engagement in Global Education
- Keynote Speaker: (2016) Business Communication, Leadership and Hospitality Etiquette . Presentation at West Point United States Military Academy. July 31, 2016; * Herbert Hall Alumni Center, West Point, New York.
- Keynote Speaker: (2013, October) American cultural tastes, social mannerism, and the 1985 presidential inauguration.
- Presentation to dignitaries of China's Peking University; CEO's of leading businesses and celebrity media personnel. Sheraton Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- Best Peer-Reviewed Research Paper Awards: 2009; 2010 and 2012 The Institute for Business and Finance Research Conference; Clute Institute for Academic Research Teaching and Learning Conference.