Melda N. Yildiz is a global scholar, assessment and curriculum consultant, instructional designer, author, and edupreneur. Yildiz served as a Fulbright Scholar in Turkmenistan (2009) and Azerbaijan (2016), teaching and conducting research integrating new media and technologies in P16 classrooms. She worked as a media specialist and the director of media services at Northfield Mount Hermon School and taught media literacy and production to grades 9-12.
As a teacher educator, she taught Media Literacy Education, Multimedia Production, and Educational Technology to P-16 educators and teacher candidates at William Paterson University and Kean University in New Jersey. Yildiz taught as a national faculty at Lesley University, as a contributing faculty to Walden University, and as a visiting scholar at Abant Izzet Baysal University and Mehmet Akif University. She worked as the director of assessment and accreditation and as a program reviewer, and site visitor for StarTalk: National Security Language Initiative (NSLI).
Yildiz was a research fellow at Oxford University. She co-authored, published, and presented on Media and Information Literacy, Instructional Technology, Transforming Teacher Education, and Global and Multicultural Education at national and international conferences. She served as the president of New Jersey Fulbright Chapter Association and co-president of New Jersey Women Gender Studies Consortium.
Yildiz received an Ed.D. from University of Massachusetts, Amherst, in Math & Science and Instructional Technology and an M.S. from Southern Connecticut State University in Instructional Technology. She majored in Teaching English as a Foreign Language at Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Principle Investigator. (Spring 2017- Present). E-Debiyyat (E-Literature) Project. Multilingual Multicultural Multimedia: Globally Connected Mobile Learning Projects. Teaching and Learning with Technology (TLT) Grant.
- Co-Investigator. (Fall 2016). Introduction to engineering and entrepreneurship in K12 education. MakerSpace, Baku American Center, Azerbaijan.
- Co-Investigator. (Fall 2015-Present). Transforming Teacher Education Through Transdisciplinary and Translational Research. Walden University.
- Curriculum Designer. (2014). Magtymguly Pyragy in the global context: Cultivating global competencies among teacher candidates using Turkmen Literature. Academy of Sciences of Turkmenistan. Ashgabat, Turkmenistan.
- Investigator. (2013-2014). Bridging theory and practice in global education through action research: Implementing the Pedagogy of Plenty across disciplines through teachers' reflections. Kean University.
- Co-investigator/Curriculum Designer. (2012-2013). Investigating Global Kitchen Projects for Promoting Healthy Eating Behaviors Among Elementary School Children: Engaging Pre- and In-Service teachers in Developing Project Based Activities- Student Partnering Faculty Project. (Altagracia Petele, Brianne Mahoney). Kean University.
- Yildiz, M. N., Funk, S. & De Abreu, B. (2018). Promoting Global Competencies through Media Literacy. Hershey, PA, IGI Global.
- De Abreu, B. & Yildiz, M. N. (2016). Global media literacy: Teaching beyond borders. New York, NY, Peter Lang Publishing. International Academic Publishers; 2nd edition.
- Yildiz, M. & Palak, D. (March 2016). Cultivating Global Competencies for the 21st Century Classrooms. International Journal of Information Communication Technologies & Human Development. 8(1) 1. 69-77.
- Yildiz, M. & Keengwe, S. (December 2015). Handbook of research on media literacy in the digital age. Hershey, PA, IGI Global. Advances in Media, Entertainment, and the Arts (AMEA) Book Series.
- Yildiz, M. (November 2014). Integrating mobile technologies into transdisciplinary media projects. Journal of Media Literacy. 61 (1&2), 49-52.
- Yildiz, M. (November 2010). Media narratives from Turkmenistan. Journal of Media Literacy. 57(1&2), 101-106.
- Lawrence, S. A., McNeal, K. & Yildiz, M. (March 2009). Experiences in summer program help adolescents merge technology, popular culture, reading, and writing. International Reading Association's Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 52(6), 28-31.
- EDIT 618 Foundations II- Diversity, Learning, and Technology
- EDIT 624 Mathematics, Science and Technology in Education I
- EDIT 663 Educational Uses of Social Media
- EDIT 695 Practicum Seminar
- EDIT 742 Fundamentals of Environmental Education for 21st Century Learners
Professional Honors & Awards
- Fulbright Scholar: (2016). Lecture/Research Award, Baku, Azerbaijan.
- Fulbright Specialist: (2014-Present). Learning Technologies Professional Development. Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES).
- Fulbright Scholar: (2009). Lecture/ Research Award, Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. First Fulbright Scholar to Turkmenistan.
- Woman of Vision Award: (March 26, 2008). Women Center, William Paterson University, N.J.
- Excellence in Teaching Award: (June 2007). William Paterson University, N.J.
- Research Fellow: (Summer 2005). Harris Manchester College, Oxford University, Oxford, UK.