Frank Rivera served eight years in the United States Air Force as an electrical and environmental systems craftsman. Rivera achieved the elite status of Flying Crew Chief, which afforded him the opportunity to travel the world while actively participating in the war on terror. As a staff sergeant, Rivera managed the electrical and environmental systems shop, including 28 airmen who worked under him.
Upon exiting the military, Rivera started his academic career by earning two bachelor’s degrees, in economics and in philosophy and religion. After completing these undergraduate degrees, Rivera decided he was not finished with school, continuing on to earn an M.S. in national security studies.
Back in the workforce, Rivera started his higher education career at the Middlesex County College (MCC) Veterans Services Center, quickly becoming the Center’s coordinator. While at MCC, he received several national awards for the service he provided to the veterans community. Rivera came to NYIT in January 2019.
Professional Honors & Awards
With Middlesex County College
- New Jersey Distinguished Service Medal
- Member, Middlesex County Veterans Advisory Council (2016-2018)
- Guest Speaker, Student Veterans of America Regional Conference
- Military Times 12th-Best 2-Year College for Veterans in the United States
- Top Colleges & University Award (2017-2018), from Military Advanced Education & Transition
- 2018 Top 20 Best 2-Year Colleges for Veterans, from Online College Plan
- 2016-2017 Military Friendly Award (MilitaryFriendly.com)
In the U.S. Air Force
- Maintenance Qualification Training Program Honor Graduate
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with 3 oak leaf clusters
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- Iraq Campaign Medal with service star
- US Air Force Non-Commissioned Officer Professional Military Education Graduate
- National Defense Medal