Admission Requirements: Digital Arts, B.F.A.
Thanks for your interest in the Digital Arts, B.F.A. degree. This degree follows our general admission requirements and a portfolio review.
Portfolios should include assignment-based projects and/or self-directed work that demonstrate art, design, and conceptual thinking skills. The artwork should be original and cannot be reproductions of already existing artwork or designs.
- 9 to 12 original artworks including but not limited to painting, printmaking, mixed media, sculpture, animation, storyboards, character design, mixed media, collage, and drawing (self-portraits, figure drawings, object studies, still life, and landscapes). No more than five digital artwork and computer-generated images may be included.
- A description sheet that includes the following information for each submitted artwork: title, medium, dimensions, date of creation, running time (if applicable).
- All artwork must be submitted in PDF file format.
- Description sheet must be submitted in PDF file format.
- Animation/Video work (max. 3 minutes) may be included as a link to an uploaded file on YouTube, Vimeo, or a personal website. Please include the URL in your description sheet.
Before you submit your portfolio, you must first apply to NYIT. Once you submit your application, you will receive an email with your application ID from the Office of Admissions. You may also contact email@example.com or 800.345.NYIT (6948) to request your application ID number.
There are two options to complete your portfolio review: online submission or in-person appointment.
- Online Portfolio Submission
Using your application ID, upload your portfolio.
- In-Person Appointment
Bring original artwork and/or printed copies. You are also encouraged to bring your sketchbook(s). Portfolios submitted in person will remain in possession of candidates. Please contact the Digital Art and Design Department to make an appointment.
- Applicants with any questions on submitting portfolios or would like to schedule an in-person appointment should contact Joseph Vasikauskas: firstname.lastname@example.org or 516.686.7542.
Bring an unofficial transcript of your previous coursework so a preliminary evaluation can be done during your interview. The Admissions Department will mail a final transfer credit evaluation after full acceptance.
Deadlines for portfolio submissions are:
- Spring Semester: Dec. 15
- Fall Semester: Aug. 15
- Completed application.
- $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Copies of transcripts of all high school work, including college-level courses. Your mid-year and final grades will be required. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Official SAT (critical reading and math only) or ACT test scores. You have the option of submitting results from the previous or redesigned SAT.
NYIT SAT Code: 2561; NYIT ACT Code 2832
- Two letters of recommendation.
- 300-350 word essay on one of the following topics:
- Tell us about your career goals and why attending NYIT would further these goals.
- Describe the achievement of which you are most proud and why.
- First-Year Priority Deadline: Extended to December 1.
- Regular Admission: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling admission basis, as long as space is available.
- International Student Deadlines: December 1 for the spring semester and July 1 for the fall semester.