The School of Architecture and Design requires all incoming undergraduate freshman and masters of architecture students to purchase a personal laptop computer powerful enough to support the demanding video and computational requirements necessary for academic course work, as well as adequate storage to accommodate new and future software releases. It is crucial for the SoAD to guarantee that all our students acquire the highest level of expertise and knowledge required to perform competitively in the evolving architecture, design and technology professions.
The SoAD has coordinated with IT services and Dell to offer a laptop model capable of lasting the duration of the student’s time in the program, and that can be purchased at an educational discount. This option provides support from NYIT’s IT department and future software updates. Dell has optimized the laptop specifications to run the latest CAD, BIM, graphic design, and 3D modeling software. The SoAD strongly recommends that students consider purchasing the specified Dell XPS 15 laptop model through the link below.
DELL 15” PRECISION MOBILE WORKSTATION 7540 – STUDENT PURCHASE LINK
Minimum Required Computer Specification
|Processor||Intel® Core™ Processor i9-9880H (8 Core, 16MB Cache, 2.30GHz up to 4.80GHz Turbo, 45W, vPro) Operating System|
|Operating System||Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, English Memory|
|Memory||32GB, 2x16GB, DDR4 2666MHz Non-ECC Memory LCD|
|LCD||15.6"UltraSharp™ UHD 3840x2160 AG,NT,w/Prem Panel Guar 100% Adobe Aluminium, IGZO, IR Cam/Mic|
|Hard Drive||No WWAN Hard Drive|
|Wireless||M.2 1TB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive Wireless|
|Video Card||Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2x2 .11ax 160MHz + Bluetooth 5.1 Video Card|
|Insurance||NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 w/6GB GDDR6 Insurance Theft and damage insurance (recommended)|
Students will be required to purchase and install on their machines the software listed below once the computer has been purchased. Be aware that if you plan on purchasing a Mac computer, the software is required to be purchased for Windows. Note that Google Drive is available for all NYIT students as a storage and file backup.
Adobe Software (fee based - PC only)
- Acrobat Pro
Microsoft Software (free; NYIT login required)
Rendering Platforms (fee-based)
3D Modeling Platforms
- Rhinoceros 6 (fee-based) – Windows only
Students who wish to purchase a Macbook Pro should be advised of the following issues related to owning and operating a Mac:
- The SoAD recommends only the highest end model of a Macbook Pro in order to support adequate 3D modeling and rendering software capabilities for all SoAD academic coursework.
- The NYIT Program Dell laptop discounted price and IT Support plan will not apply to Mac or other alternative laptop model purchased.
- To purchase an adequate and properly equipped Macbook Pro will require additional initial and maintaining costs including: purchase and download of Bootcamp or VM Ware, a copy of Windows 10x64, and increased or upgraded hardware for to the PC performance equivalency.
- Purchasing a Mac laptop will not permit upgrades to any of the components in the future.
- All required SoAD software should be PC based. Most Mac format software does not allow the same functionality as PC.
- The performance specification for the Mac will require 200% more power than the required PC. The Mac laptop will require a partition to run both Mac and PC. This splits the computers performance in half.
NYIT IT Computer Support
Please contact Service Central.
School of Architecture and Design Point of Contact
Long Island Campus – Marie Odile Baretsky
EEducation Hall Rm. 274
New York City Campus – Mauricio Tacoaman
Edward Guiliano Global Center Rm. 1010
We understand that the cost of the laptop seems high when compared to off-the-shelf models, but the specified model is planned to last the duration of the program, and to guarantee the right performances to fulfill the assignments required in your courses. The text below will help clarify the reasons to purchase a well-equipped machine from the beginning. If you have additional questions please direct them to the point of contact listed above for each campus location.
Some laptops do not allow after-market upgrades of memory, so it is necessary to purchase a computer which will perform well throughout the program, as software updates require more memory with updates and newer versions.
Some laptop manufacturers split storage into a small initial partition, and a larger secondary partition. A laptop must have a 512GB initial partition (the C: drive on Windows) to meet the computer requirements.
Laptops do not allow the addition of new video hardware. In order to run all of the required 3D modeling software programs, it is important to have a computer that has a video card that meets the minimum specifications.