We encourage you to apply to NYIT, even if your grades and test scores do not quite meet our general admissions standards. Our EduPlus program, available to first-year students only, can help you by offering you both academic and personal support.
As an EduPlus student, you will be a full-fledged NYIT student, attending regular classes with other NYIT students, but with the additional benefit of participating in weekly academic tutoring, skill-building classes, and personalized advisement during your first two semesters at NYIT. Placement exams, taken by all incoming NYIT students, will determine which level courses you should register for and whether any remedial or developmental courses are required.
The EduPlus program, as well as its academic requirements, applies only to your first year at NYIT. You may, however, continue to use our resources and stay in contact with our staff for the remainder of your studies at NYIT.
How It Works
Apply to NYIT
Apply to NYIT as a first-year student. Consideration for EduPlus is by referral only. You do not need to fill out a separate application. The Office of Admissions will review your NYIT application and determine whether you are a potential EduPlus candidate.
Potential Candidates Will Be Contacted
If you are identified as a potential EduPlus candidate, you will be contacted by an NYIT Admissions counselor, who will provide you with information about the program and request a supplemental essay. If your application and essay have been determined to meet program criteria, you will be contacted a second time to schedule an interview. Only applicants who submit a qualifying supplemental essay and attend an interview will be considered for admission into the program.
If you are accepted and choose to enroll in the EduPlus program, you must:
- Enroll in the required weekly, skill-building EduPlus seminars: Skills for College Success I (fall) and II (spring). This is the only course reserved for EduPlus students. Besides this course, you will attend the same courses as any other NYIT student, though you should not be surprised to find fellow EduPlus students in other courses.
- Attend at least one hour of tutoring per week for each semester during your first academic year.
- Attend all assigned enrichment events (to be assigned by the EduPlus coordinator).
- Earn and maintain a GPA of 2.0 or above during your first year
- Pay a one-time $1,000 fee, which allows for unique academic services and personal advising. If you complete the program successfully, the fee will be credited to your account in the first semester of your sophomore year.
Deric Marshall II Memorial Scholarship
If accepted to the EduPlus program, you will be considered for the Deric Marshall II Memorial Scholarship, which covers the full cost of the EduPlus fee and is awarded in advance of your freshman year. This scholarship is awarded to one new EduPlus student each year by Deric’s mother, Julet Marshall, in remembrance of her son, who was an exceptional and successful EduPlus student. Preference for the scholarship goes to Fine Arts students.
To be eligible for this and other financial aid, you must be admitted to the EduPlus program, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and be registered for classes.
About the Scholarship
Deric Marshall, a Queens, N.Y., native with a deep love for the visual arts from a young age, was accepted to the EduPlus program at New York Institute of Technology in 2006. He was very happy and looked forward to beginning his career in college and beyond. After starting his classes with a major in Computer Graphics, he never looked back and he never slowed down. More importantly, Deric was an inspiration to others as an NYIT EduPlus student, encouraging them to persevere and not give up when they considered dropping out. Deric passed away on Dec. 23, 2009, after a brief illness. This scholarship is given to honor his memory and his spirit of caring, helpfulness, and perseverance.