For most students at New York Institute of Technology, health insurance is required for students enrolled at the New York campuses. This requirement is consistent with many other schools in the New York metro area and is widely endorsed by New York Tech's academic, student and health services divisions. At New York Tech, we offer a broad coverage, ACA-compliant health insurance plan through Aetna, a large national health care insurance provider.
Upon registration for classes in the fall 2020 semester, students in one or more of the following categories are automatically enrolled for health insurance:
- Full-time undergraduate students
- Residence hall occupants
- School of Health Professions students
- Vocational Independence Program participants
- International students holding an F-1 or a J-1 visa
If a domestic student has comparable health insurance coverage available, such as through a parent's plan, the student may be eligible to waive the coverage. Eligibility criteria for waivers along with details and required supporting documents are listed on the Aetna website at aetnastudenthealth.com.
The waiver feature on the Aetna website will open on or about July 1, 2020 and will end on September 30, 2020. If coverage is waived by the deadline, and no health insurance claims have been filed, the charge for student health insurance will be removed from the student account. Please pay strict attention to the waiver deadline; New York Tech cannot honor late withdrawal requests once insurance coverage has been confirmed by Aetna.
- International students are not eligible for a health insurance waiver.
- Any new student taking a summer class must be waived manually, please contact: email@example.com.
- Waivers are subject to audit by both Aetna and New York Tech.
- You may not waive coverage midyear. If you waive your insurance for the fall semester, you will automatically be waived for the spring semester.
Premium Costs and Coverage for 2020-2021
Health insurance premiums are billed to the student's account. The cost of the Aetna student health plans for the 2020-2021 academic year are:
- Domestic student plan: $1,800 annual rate ($900 per semester, charged in fall and spring terms).
- International student plan (F-1, J-1 visa holders): $1,920 annual rate ($960 per semester, charged in fall and spring terms).
A description of the plan benefits can be found at aetnastudenthealth.com.
Fall semester insurance coverage begins August 1, 2020 and ends December 31, 2020. Spring semester coverage begins January 1, 2021 and ends July 31, 2021. If you are enrolled for the fall semester, your enrollment will be automatically renewed for the spring semester. As indicated above, you may not waive coverage midyear. If you waive your insurance for the fall semester, you will automatically be waived for the spring semester.
Some New York Tech graduate and part-time students will not automatically be enrolled, but may wish to purchase the student plan coverage. Eligibility criteria and costs for voluntary enrollment are available on the Aetna website. We look forward to assisting you with any questions regarding the mandatory enrollment and waiver process. Please feel free to contact the Office of Counseling and Wellness: