Student FAQs & Online Help Form

Updated August 21, 2020

Students: Submit Your Questions

Academic Calendar and Campus Events

How can I find out about important dates related to my classes?

Check out the Academic Calendar located here and as a tile on

If I am registered for an in-person class, will the class be held in-person after Thanksgiving?

In-person classes will end before Thanksgiving, November 26, and move to remote delivery for the rest of the fall semester.

Will activities still be held on campus?

During the fall semester, a majority of New York Tech-sponsored events at our New York campuses will be held virtually/remotely. Updates and information are available here.

How can I become involved in virtual events, clubs, and organizations?

New York Tech's Student Life teams have developed a host of virtual programs! Additionally, students are encouraged to join clubs and organizations aligned with their academic, professional, and personal interests and talents. If you are interested in getting involved and staying involved, you can find virtual programs hosted by both New York Tech campuses here. For information about student clubs and organizations, please select your campus: NYC or Long Island.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top

Academic Support and Tutoring

I am struggling in my class(es). Is tutoring available?

During the fall and spring semesters: Tutors at the Learning Center, Math Resource Center, Science Learning Center, and Writing Center can help you with your course content. Schedule a virtual tutoring appointment today.

I am struggling with online learning. Can someone help me?

During the fall and spring semesters: Online Learning Assistants (OLAs) at the Learning Center are available to assist you with technical skills such as Blackboard, Google Drive, Zoom, etc. and student success skills such as time management, study skills, organization, etc. They can also help direct you to many resources. Schedule a virtual appointment today.

Select: Tutoring → Online Learning Assistance

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top

Admissions Information and Resources

We know you have a lot of questions about your next steps and registering for the fall semester. If you're just starting your college search, learn more about how we are addressing changes during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Please view all FAQs related to academics, university information, and housing or submit your question.

You can also jump to specific FAQs for international students, regarding visas, arriving to the United States, and taking classes online from your home country.

When do I need to submit my tuition deposit?

We are continuing to accept deposits. The undergraduate deposit has been reduced to $200. The graduate deposit deadline was previously extended for most graduate programs, excluding the Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Studies programs. As we are admitting students on a rolling basis to many programs, your deposit is due within four weeks of your admission date.

Speak with your personal admissions counselor if you have questions about submitting your tuition deposit.

Am I able to register for the fall semester?

Registration is open now for all incoming undergraduate and graduate students. Check your Admitted Student Portal for your next steps. The Fall 2020 semester will begin as planned on September 9, 2020.

Will Orientation for new students take place?

Yes. Virtual orientation is happening now! Complete it online.

My family is experiencing significant financial challenges. Can my financial aid be reviewed?

If there have been changes to your family's financial circumstances since the FAFSA was filed and/or the Financial Assistance Package was received from New York Tech, then our financial aid counselors are prepared to help you. All students must submit a one-page typed personal statement thoroughly explaining the request.

If any of the following situations apply to you or a supporting family member, please indicate and submit the appropriate documentation:

  • Unemployment – Proof of unemployment
  • Health Issues and/or Medical Expenses – Letterhead statement from doctor or other health professional explaining medical condition and any treatments, surgeries, etc. performed
  • Death of a Family Member – Death Certificate or obituary
  • Other circumstances: Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information specific to your situation.
Please complete one of these two forms online and submit to the Office of Financial Aid:

Dependent Reevaluation Form

Independent Reevaluation Form

If you have a questions about this and would like to meet with a financial aid counselor, email or sign up for a financial aid appointment.

How can I submit official documents such as a high school or college transcript?

New York Tech participates in several electronic transcripts networks: National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment Exchange, Scoir, and eSCRIP-SAFE. If your prior institution does not participate with one of our networks, they may send an electronic official transcript directly to us at

Official documents should be received prior to or close to the start of your first semester. In the event that official documents are not received by the end of the first semester, students will not be permitted to register for future semesters and may have their financial aid canceled.

Something seems wrong with my Admitted Student Portal. Who should I contact to check on that?

We'll have to look into your Admitted Student Portal! Send the Office of Admissions an email at and we'll get back to you as soon as we can!

Am I required to take placement exams?

Check your Admitted Student Portal to find out if you must take a placement exam.

Math Placement Exam
If you are pursuing a math-based undergradaute major (one which requires a math sequence) you are required to take a math placement exam to determine your math course level. You do not need to take the math placement exam if you are:

  • Entering a non-math-based major.
  • Receiving placement or transfer credit for the first math course required for your degree.
  • Admitted into the Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP). You will take the exam, if required, on an individual basis.
  • Admitted into the Life Sciences, B.S. / Osteopathic Medicine, D.O. (B.S./D.O.) program.

If you are required to take a math placment exam, you can take it as soon as you're ready! The online math exam is open. Follow these instructions. Once you have completed your exam, you will be prompted to schedule a virtual advising appointment to get registered for classes.

English Placement Exam
We will contact you if you are required to take the English Placement Exam. Students admitted to a graduate pathway program are also required to take this exam.

What can I expect at a virtual advising appointment?

As a newly admitted New York Tech undergraduate student, you will have the opportunity to complete your advisement and registration with the Advising & Enrichment Center (AEC). Registration is now open! Schedule your advising appointment now!

  • Virtually meet one-on-one with an AEC Advisor to review your program requirements.
  • Determine your first semester sequence of courses.
  • Virtually meet with a peer advisor to help you create your Fall 2020 schedule and register for classes.
  • Speak with an Enrollment Services Center representative about your financial aid.

If you're required to take a math placement exam, you will need to do that first! Check your Admitted Student Portal to find out if you must take a placement exam.

I am admitted to the Life Sciences, B.S./Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) program. How do I get registered for fall classes?

Congratulations! Once you submit your deposit, you will need to submit your B.S./D.O. Contract in your Admitted Student Portal. Once that is received, we will register you for classes through a block schedule with other B.S./D.O. students. You will receive an email on how to access your class schedule online.

How can I visit New York Tech?

We are hosting variety of virtual options for you to find out more about New York Tech. We strongly encourage you to join us at a virtual event or speak with a admissions or financial aid counselor via phone, email, or Zoom.

Virtual tours of our Long Island and New York City campuses.

Admitted Undergraduate Student Events: View recorded videos from faculty and student services, or join us for upcoming live admitted student information sessions.

Discovery Days for High School Students

Transfer Student Events

Graduate Student Events

International Student Events

Exams (including SAT, ACT, IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, GRE, GMAT) are canceled. What do I do?

First-time first-year applicants may choose to submit their application without standardized test scores to be considered for admission to New York Institute of Technology for the Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Fall 2021 semesters. We conduct a comprehensive evaluation of each applicant’s school records, essays, recommendations, and any other information provided through the admissions process. Some academic programs require test scores.

Review our test-optional policy

The GRE exam requirement has been waived for graduate engineering programs for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021. Please contact us at and we will advise you on the options available to you.

How do I get credit for AP, IB, and Cambridge exams or courses?

We will honor the results of your 2020 AP, IB, and Cambridge examinations and award transfer credit based on our policies.

Can I defer enrollment to a future semester?

Of course. If you would like to defer your application, please contact your personal admissions counselor. We will process the deferral request and, if applicable, we will issue a new, updated I-20 for international students.

I am an international student. Am I still welcome? How will my visa be affected?

All international students are welcome for the summer, fall, and future semesters. By offering courses remotely, we hope to provide you with access to courses until we are able to offer additional in-person instruction. If your country is currently experiencing shipping delays, then you may receive a delay in receiving your I-20. However, we are emailing students their acceptance letters and I-20s.

I cannot submit a notarized affidavit of support form due to the COVID-19 lockdown. Can I get my I-20?

Yes, please provide an affidavit of support signed and dated by the person who will be sponsoring your studies and we will be able to issue an I-20.

Is an online banking statement acceptable to get my I-20?

Yes, online bank statements are acceptable.

Can I switch my campus to NYIT-Vancouver in Canada?

In order to switch to the Vancouver campus, you must submit a separate application applying to the program you would like to study in Vancouver. You can inquire with the Vancouver Admissions office about program availability by emailing

What is the action plan for international students who still want to study at New York Tech but may not be able to travel to the United States?

We understand that U.S. consulate offices may be closed for visa applications. Students who are not able to secure a visa in time to arrive for the fall semester can begin by studying their program online from their home country. You will need to speak with your advisor you choose your class schedule. Upon request, we can defer your Fall 2020 I-20 to the Spring 2021 semester so you can request a visa to enter for the spring semester.

Can I take online courses from my home country?

Yes, we will be operating on a hybrid model and many classes will be available online for the fall semester. Students should contact their academic advisor to find which classes will be available for them to study from their home country.

I received my I-20 and acceptance letter via email. Will you send me the hard copy at a later date?

Yes, when regular delivery services have resumed, we will mail the hard copy. However, U.S. consulates and the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol will accept electronic I-20s for issuing visas and entering the country.

Can I use the I-20 and acceptance letter sent to me via email for my visa interview?

Yes, you can use the I-20 sent to you electronically to apply for your visa.

Due to COVID-19, my home country’s government has instituted a lockdown order closing all banks, schools, and businesses. I cannot obtain my official application documents and/or I20 documents. What should I do?

You can submit copies of documents until you are able to obtain official documents.

What is the latest I can enter the country if I get a visa interview for the fall?

We advise students to be enrolled in classes that include hybrid and/or in-person classes at the time of their visa interview. Students who are not enrolled in classes must arrive in the country by September 23. Students who are enrolled in classes may arrive as late as October 7 with special permission from their program director and/or professors to attend classes virtually until they are able to join in person. Students who aren’t able to get a visa appointment by September 23 should request a deferral I-20 for the Spring 2021 semester.

If the consulate requests an additional letter from New York Tech stating that our programs are hybrid and contain in-person instruction, we advise you to reach out to your program director or advisor and request a letter from them.

If I take classes online in the fall from my home country and my visa is denied for the Spring 2021 semester, can I get a refund of my tuition or deposit?

Classes taken online from overseas follow the same refund policy as classes taken in the U.S. The refund policy can be found in the New York Tech catalog. Deposit refunds are allowed in the case of visa refusal for students who have not started or attended classes.

My question isn't answered. Where do I go for help?

Please reach out to your personal admissions counselor, or email or, and we'll get you an answer.

See Student FAQs related to academics, university information, and housing.

Back to Top

Advising Support (including registration and holds)

Will advising and registration for the fall semester continue as planned?

Yes! Advising has also transitioned to a virtual environment. Please make an appointment to meet with an advisor. If your advisor is not displaying availability, please use this page to Find An Advisor and send the advisor an email.

I want to graduate as soon as possible. Can someone help me plan out my remaining course requirements?

Now more than ever, it is important to make sure you are on track to graduate on time and, if possible, earlier than planned. Advisors at the Advising & Enrichment Center (AEC) are ready to help you identify remaining degree requirements and figure out how best to complete them within your desired timeframe. Schedule an appointment with an AEC advisor to work on planning for your degree completion.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top

Billing and Financial Aid

Is there someone I can speak to about my account and financial aid?

Yes. The Office of the Bursar can assist you with billing and payment plan questions by phone at 516.686.7510 or via email at

The Office of Financial Aid can assist you with questions regarding your financial aid by phone at 516.686.7680 or via email at

Enrollment Services Center Specialists are available to walk you through your student account and financial aid. Schedule a virtual appointment today.

Will tuition and fees change this year?

We recognize the COVID-19 pandemic has had a far-reaching impact on our students and their families. We’ve worked diligently to continue to provide the highest-quality education, while ensuring the health and safety of our students.

Over the spring and summer, we’ve made significant investments in technology, infrastructure, training, and resources to better provide engaging, technology-infused experiences in a variety of modalities for the upcoming year.

While we are not able to adjust our tuition fees for the 2020-2021 academic year, we will work with students to help support their needs as part of our mission to provide access to opportunity to all qualified students.

I'm having a hard time making ends meet. Is there any supplemental financial assistance available?

New York Tech’s Student Emergency Fund was established assist students who have been impacted financially by unforeseen circumstances during a disaster/crisis. It provides one-time assistance of up to $500 to New York City and Long Island campus students. See if you are eligible and apply for financial assistance through the Student Emergency Fund.

Additionally, if students at the New York City or Long Island campus are facing unexpected financial challenges that jeopardize their ability to stay in school, they may apply for a New York Tech CARE Grant. This microgrant program provides assistance to students who meet specified criteria with up to $1,000.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top

Community Resources

Are there community resources that provide food, housing, and other information that may be helpful to me during this time?

All students are encouraged to visit their local government websites for up-to-date information about programs and resources to help individuals with food, housing, and other needs during the current health crisis.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information and Student Testing

What is the coronavirus, and how can I keep myself and others healthy?

Information about the virus, resources on keeping yourself and others healthy, and suggestions regarding what to do if you are not feeling well can be found on our About COVID-19/Self Care page.

Do all students need to be tested for COVID-19 prior to the fall semester?

As we approach the start of the new academic year, we are requiring all students who plan to access the Long Island or New York City campus for classes, services, resources, and events to obtain a COVID-19 diagnostic test prior to the start of the academic year. Tests must be taken on or after August 24, 2020. Consistent with health department requirements, test results will remain confidential. Students who do not wish to come to the New York campuses do not have to take a COVID-19 test or submit results. If you wish to enter campus at some point during the semester, COVID-19 test results can be submitted until November 23. Remember: If you aren’t feeling well with COVID-19 symptoms, please do not come to campus that day.

Does the COVID-19 testing requirement to access campus apply to employees taking classes or to extended education students?

All students who plan to come to campus for classes, activities, or to access resources—including employees who are taking classes—must take a COVID-19 test and report the results, as described above.

How recent can my COVID-19 test result be?

Tests must be taken on or after August 24, 2020.

Can I take the COVID-19 test at either of the New York campuses?

Yes. Students may make an appointment for a COVID-19 test at the Academic Health Center on the Long Island campus. Call 516.686.1300 to schedule an appointment.

Is the COVID-19 test free at the New York campuses?

Yes, the COVID-19 test is free for students enrolled at either of our New York campuses.

Can I take the COVID-19 test on my own at another location?

Yes. Students may obtain the COVID-19 test from:

  • Their private physician;
  • The Academic Health Care Center on the Long Island campus (Call 516.686.1300 to schedule an appointment);
  • Long Island testing sites: For more information and testing locations in Nassau and Suffolk counties, please call 888.364.3065 or visit ProHealth; or
  • New York City locations

Students must submit their results to the Office of Counseling & Wellness by uploading them here. Please take your test as soon as possible, particularly if your in-person class starts on September 9, as test results may take a few days to receive.

How long does it take to receive my test results, and are the results confidential?

Test results can take one or more days to receive. Please take your test as soon as possible, as test results may take a few days to receive. Consistent with health department requirements, test results will remain confidential.

If I take the COVID-19 test at the New York City or Long Island campus, will the test results be submitted directly to the university?

Yes. If you took the COVID-19 diagnostic test at either of the New York campuses, New York Tech’s chief medical officer will be notified of the results, and you will be given access to the laboratory website to retrieve them.

Can I submit the results of a COVID-19 antibody test instead of the COVID-19 diagnostic test?

No. Only the results of a COVID-19 diagnostic test such as the one offered by New York Tech will be accepted by the university.

What happens if I test positive for COVID-19?

Testing will help diagnose students who may be infected but are asymptomatic. If a positive test is discovered, you will be asked to remain in isolation and follow guidance from the local health department and your health care provider before returning to campus.

If a student is tested and shows a positive result for COVID-19, regardless of whether they are symptomatic or asymptomatic, the individual may return to work or class based on the following:

  1. Symptomatic cases: at least 10 days of isolation from the onset of symptoms.
  2. Asymptomatic cases: 10 days of isolation after the first positive test if they remain asymptomatic, or
  3. With a doctor’s note giving permission to return to work or class.

While we recognize we cannot eliminate all risks of transmission on campus, we are committed to doing our part to minimize potential risks to our community.

I did not take a COVID-19 test. Can I enter the New York or Long Island campuses?

No. Students must submit their results to access New York Tech’s Long Island and New York City campuses for classes, services, resources, and events.

  • Long Island campus: Students arriving on the Long Island campus who have not taken a COVID-19 test will be redirected by security to the Academic Health Care Center for rapid-results testing.
  • New York City campus: Students arriving on the New York City campus who have not taken a COVID-19 test will be redirected by security to a nearby testing center and will not be able to access campus until New York Tech receives test results, which could take several days.
  • Students who do not wish to come to the New York campuses do not have to take a COVID-19 test or submit results

Will I have to take the COVID-19 test again during the semester?

Mandatory testing will be required in the beginning of the academic year as described above to ensure that no one returns to the campus infected. This is a reassurance to students, their parents, staff, and faculty. Based on the results of this initial baseline test and/or additional COVID-19 cases throughout the semester, there may be further surveillance testing conducted on smaller student groups throughout the semester (e.g. dormed students). We ask for your cooperation should you be requested to take another test. As always there will be no cost for any additional testing.

Are there other ways in which the university is working to increase safety for students while on campus?

This initiative is part of our overall strategy to reduce the chances of anyone coming into contact with the COVID-19 virus while on campus as described in our campus reopening plan. This approach includes physical distancing, promoting proper hygiene, daily temperature screening, increased cleaning and disinfection, and the use of face coverings, among other initiatives and changes. We ask that everyone cooperate and do their part to maintain a healthy campus environment and also to be aware of student policies for noncompliance.

What if I did not submit my results before the start of the fall semester, but I wish to come onto campus?

If you wish to enter campus at some point throughout the semester, COVID-19 test results can be submitted until November 23.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top

Courses and Other Academic Information

Is the fall semester going to be online or in person?

Following the COVID-19 pandemic, New York Tech is developing an adaptable, responsive, and comprehensive campus re-engagement plan that follows all requisite national, state, and local guidelines while supporting a best-in-class student experience. Please visit Planning for Campus Re-Engagement for more information.

How can I best prepare for the fall semester?

Check out the Student Preparation Checklist for helpful information (and direct links) on getting "technology ready," getting "academic ready," and where to find your classes.

I’m already registered for the fall semester. Will my schedule change?

As with any other institution, we must adhere to national, state, and local guidelines, which are being released on an ongoing basis. In the meantime, we are doing our best to plan for minimal disruptions to the fall schedule, but it is possible your schedule may change to accommodate for social distancing, reduced class and campus density, and other considerations. To discuss issues regarding your schedule, contact the Advising & Enrichment Center at or 516.686.7575.

How and when will I know which of my courses will be taught virtually and which will be taught in-person?

As a result of the COVID pandemic, some courses that were originally planned as in-person, on-campus courses may be changed to being taught virtually. The location of the course (building/room #) will tell you if the class is being taught in-person or virtually. A class with a physical campus building/room location will have some in-person instruction (more details will be provided). Classes being taught virtually will have a building/room location of “Zoom.”

Be sure to check your class schedule for the most up-to-date information regarding your class location. You can also check with your faculty advisor for additional information about the courses within your major.

What if I have concerns about attending a class that is designated to meet in-person?

We are aware that students may have concerns and challenges related to their attendance. We are working on developing policies to address student attendance requirements for those who are uncomfortable or unable to physically come to campus. We will update this FAQ page as soon as we are able.

I am nervous about taking classes in a remote environment. What resources will be available to help me with my classes?

Online Learning Assistants (OLAs) at the Learning Center can assist you with aspects of online learning, including technical skills such as Blackboard, Google Drive, Zoom, etc. and student success skills such as time management, staying on task, study skills, organization, etc. Schedule a virtual appointment today.

Here are some resources you may want to explore:

Will campus facilities, including the library and dining halls, be open?

Following COVID-19, New York Tech is developing an adaptable, responsive, and comprehensive campus re-engagement plan that follows all requisite national, state, and local guidelines while supporting a best-in-class student experience. Details regarding campus facilities will be shared as they become available. Please visit Planning for Campus Re-Engagement for more information.

Where can I find food at the New York campuses between classes?
  • Long Island campus: The Student Activity Center (SAC) Cafeteria and Riland Café will offer specialized grab-and-go menu options including salads, yogurts, fresh fruit, and other hot and cold offerings. Starting October 2, a food truck with a variety of menu options will also be available periodically on campus.

    The layout of the dining areas, including seating, has been reconfigured to maintain health, safety, and physical distancing requirements. Microwaves are not available for use at this time, and reusable beverage containers are not permitted.

  • New York City campus: The Metro Café will be closed. However, Avenue-C vending options will be available in 26 W. 61st St., in addition to the wide variety of food options in the surrounding Manhattan neighborhood.

Find more information on Dining Services here.

Where can I purchase textbooks, supplies, and New York Tech clothing at the New York campuses?

New York Tech's bookstore provides textbooks, supplies, and "swag" such as clothing, accessories and gift options to all students at both New York campuses online.

In addition, the bookstore in Salten Hall at the Long Island campus will be open this fall with health, safety, and physical distancing measures in place. The hours are Monday - Friday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Will the fitness center on the Long Island campus be open this fall?

The fitness center is currently closed as we update campus facilities for the health and safety of our community members. Updates will be shared, and we hope to open the facility for use by students, faculty, and staff as soon as possible.

Will I still be able to receive my accommodations through the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS)?

Yes, the OAS will work with students to make sure accommodations are provided with as little interruption as possible. Please contact Walter Mayer ( for assistance.

I am having difficulty in my class(es) and/or challenges with my instructor(s). Who can I speak to about my concerns and possible options?

The advisors in the Advising & Enrichment Center (AEC) are available to support you and ensure that you have all the necessary resources and information to be successful. If you are concerned about how things are going in your class(es), please schedule an appointment with an AEC advisor for assistance and guidance on your options.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top

Housing and Residential Life

How will I select my housing space for the 2020-21 academic year?

Information will be provided by the Office of Residence Life about how students will make their room selections for next year. Students interested in housing should routinely check their New York Tech email accounts throughout the summer for updates.

Will housing be offered at the NYC and Long Island campuses this fall?

Housing accommodations will be offered at the NYC and Long Island campuses this fall.

NYC housing accommodations will be provided at the Riverside Residence and Manhattan School of Music. For more information on housing availability and the housing selection process, please email

Long Island housing accommodations for the fall 2020 semester will be provided at the Hilton Garden Inn Roslyn [3 Harbor Park Drive, Port Washington, NY 11050]. The cost of Long Island housing and other details can be found here. To register for housing in Long Island this fall, please complete an application and submit it here. If you applied for housing on Long Island previously, you will need to submit a new application as there is new information that the Office of Residence Life will need to assign spaces. We will honor the submission date of your first application. For more information, please email

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top

International Student Status

Immigration Status

Important Update: Recent ICE guidance requiring institutions to hold in-person courses for international students in order for visa statuses to be maintained has been rescinded. Please be patient as we await further and specific official guidance. Updates will be posted online and emailed once determined.

If New York Institute of Technology starts teaching classes online only, can I study from my home country? Does this affect my immigration status?

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security guidance states students are able to maintain their immigration status while continuing their semester’s courses online in the U.S. or abroad. In addition, you must continue to be enrolled full time (12 credits for undergraduates and 9 credits for graduates) and make normal progress toward your degree.

If you are in your final semester and do not require a full-time course load to complete degree requirements, you are allowed to be less than full time. You still need to be authorized for part time.

SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) has confirmed that if not all your courses can be delivered online, then the full-time requirement can be waived as a direct result of the impact of the COVID-19 emergency situation.

June 4, 2020 Update:

  • As of now, government guidance has not been provided for fall 2020. Current guidance applies to this summer term only.
  • We will update this information when government guidance for fall 2020 becomes available.

Will I be able to maintain my immigration status if I went back to my home country and return for fall 2020 semester, even if it’s more than five months?

Yes. You are considered to be maintaining status until the end of the spring 2020 semester, after which you are entitled to your annual summer vacation.

SEVP has confirmed that the five-month temporary absence provision will not apply during the COVID-19 crisis.

If the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, then you will be required to enter the country within 30 days of the starts of classes.

What happens if I request a gap semester or year starting in all 2020?

F-1 regulations refer to a gap semester or year as a Leave of Absence. If you are considering a leave, contact the Office of International Education for advice, as this decision can have a significant impact on your F-1 student status.

As of now, government guidance does not provide any special instructions or accommodations for those considering a Leave of Absence.


Do I need to get a travel signature before I leave the U.S.?

You don't need a travel signature to leave the U.S., but you will need to have one that is valid on the date that you return. You can request a new I-20 with an updated signature from OIE.

A digital I-20 is considered valid but you must print it out and sign it by hand. Digital signatures by students will not be accepted.

Be sure to have up-to-date travel documents with you upon your return. Please refer to this travel checklist.

Be aware that there is still some uncertainty regarding international travel.

Be sure to pay attention to updates on the U.S. Embassy websites of your country of origin.

If you require a new visa, you will have to contact the consulate to know when or whether they will resume visa processing and how long it will take.

June 22, 2020 Update:

  • We do not recommend traveling out of the country at this time as there are expected changes to employment restrictions.
  • Expect consular interviews to be delayed due to backlogs caused by COVID-19 crisis. Interviews previously scheduled may be canceled or rescheduled.

My visa is expiring, and I am unable to travel to my home country at this time. What should I do?

Your visa is a document solely for entry into the United States and does not determine the length of your stay in the U.S. There is no issue if it expires while you are in the U.S.

You may stay in the U.S. with an expired F-1 or J-1 visa as long as you maintain your immigration status by having a valid Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 and maintaining your status.

My visa is expiring/has expired. If I leave the U.S., will I need a new visa or can I re-enter on an expired visa?

If you leave the U.S., you will need to obtain a new visa from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate before you can re-enter the U.S. Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter the U.S.

Keep in mind that international travel and visa restrictions are unpredictable, and when U.S. consulates resume visa processing there may be significant backlogs for appointments.

This situation is evolving and varies by country. Some students have been able to obtain emergency appointments and others have obtained routine visa appointments.

If you will be traveling to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands, please determine whether you can benefit from automatic revalidation.

Where can I find up-to-date information on travel restrictions to the U.S.?


I need to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Can I do this from outside the U.S.?

Currently, regulations require you to be physically in the U.S. at the time you submit your OPT application.

The most recent guidance in the SEVP’s FAQs: "The Department of Homeland Security is evaluating these issues and may issue additional guidance. USCIS adjudicates OPT employment authorization and status requests for F and M students and has yet to issue official guidance on these issues. SEVP continuously shares these stakeholders’ concerns with our partners at USCIS to assist them in their deliberations."

The Office of International Education continues to process OPT applications in the order they are received. If you have not applied for OPT, but plan to do so, we strongly encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.

Am I allowed to go home after mailing my OPT application to USCIS from the U.S.? If so, will I be permitted to return to the U.S. to work once my application is approved?

You are allowed to leave the U.S. when an OPT application is pending at USCIS, but there has always been an element of uncertainty.

The basic risk factor is that if you receive correspondence from USCIS in the mail to your U.S. address, you would not be there to respond.

In addition, USCIS may consider your departure as an abandonment of the application and deny your application as a result.

An additional risk factor in the time of COVID-19 is that international travel and visa restrictions are unpredictable.

Can I work fewer than 20 hours per week because of the COVID-19 situation?

Government guidance indicates that for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, students on OPTwho are working fewer than 20 hours per week are still engaging in OPT and are NOT accumulating any days of unemployment.

Am I allowed to work remotely temporarily while on OPT/STEM due to COVID-19?

Yes, you can work remotely temporarily for a U.S. employer while on OPT.

If you are currently engaged in the STEM OPT extension, you don’t have to submit a new I-983 if working remotely.

Can I apply for CPT (Curricular Practical Training) for my summer internship from outside the U.S.? Can my internship take place abroad?

Yes, OIE will continue to process CPT applications as usual.

SEVP confirmed that students may engage in CPT abroad, "...provided they are enrolled in a program of study of which the CPT is an integral component, the [ISSO adviser] has authorized the CPT in advance, and either the employer has an office outside the United States or the employer has a means to assess student engagement and attainment of learning objectives."

Post-Graduation Options

I graduated in Spring/Summer 2020, and my plan was to return to my home country. However, now I would prefer to stay in the United States. What are my options?

You have four options:

  • Remain in the U.S. and apply for post-completion OPT (for F-1 students) or Academic Training (for J-1 students).
  • Remain in the U.S. during the grace period after your program end date (on your I-20 or DS-2019).
    • The grace period is 60 days for F-1 students and 30 days for J-1 students.
  • Pursue another degree in the United States and transfer (if eligible) your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record to another institution.
  • Change to another non-immigrant visa classification (H-1B, for example).

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top

Mental Health Resources

I'm feeling stressed. What should I do?

We are still here for you and you are not alone! We are dealing with an unprecedented event and so it is understandable that members of our New York Tech community may have concerns and anxieties about the uncertainty of the current times. If you are feeling anxious or uneasy, please reach out to Counseling and Wellness Services at our campuses in Long Island (516.686.7683) or New York City (212.261.1773) to talk or make an appointment.

For additional information and suggestions, please see our "Bear Package" for Students of COVID-19 resources.

Who may I contact if I am feeling anxious regarding the impact of COVID-19?

It is also understandable that members of our New York Tech community may have concerns about a new and unfamiliar illness. If you are feeling anxious or uneasy, please reach out to Counseling and Wellness Services at our campuses in Long Island (516.686.7683) or New York City (212.261.1773) to talk or make an appointment, or stop by during the drop-in hours indicated on the Counseling and Wellness Services web page.

You can also reach out to your Residence Life Staff for additional information and support:

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top

Technology and Internet Access

What type of technology will students need this fall?

In order to fully participate in New York Tech's fall offerings, we recommend that you have access to:

  • A Windows or Apple desktop or laptop that meets New York Tech's minimum computing requirements. Some departments may have more robust requirements (see School of Architecture's minimum requirements).
    • We don't recommend using a Chromebook, iPad or Android tablet as your primary device.
    • New York Tech students are eligible for discounts offered by Dell and Apple.
  • One of the following browsers: Edge, Firefox or Chrome
  • Up-to-date antivirus (AV) software: Sophos Home Free will protect against viruses, malware, ransomware, privacy invasions, and more, and it includes always-on antivirus, parental web filtering, and remote management for up to three devices.
  • A webcam, microphone, and headphones for your device;
    • Many laptops have integrated webcams and microphones. If you have a desktop and are in need of a good web camera, we suggest the Logitech C920 webcam or an equivalent.
    • If you have a laptop with a camera, we suggest you invest in a good headset with a microphone so that you can actively participate in synchronous online coursework. We suggest the Logitech H390 headset or equivalent.
  • Reliable Internet access of 5Mb/s or better (per user if shared). See a list of free/low cost Internet access options below.
  • Microsoft Office: All New York Tech students have access to Microsoft Office while you are a student. Learn more.
  • Zoom: All New York Tech have students access to Zoom. Get more information.

If you are connecting from countries where Internet access could be throttled/limited and you experience problems connecting to resources, we recommend using a private VPN.

Please note that these are the minimum requirements and if you plan to enroll in classes or programs with specific computing needs, you should work with your academic department to identify additional needs.

Access to a reliable personal device that meets New York Tech requirements and our recommendations will be even more important as computing labs are de-densified to comply with social distancing.

Will there be spaces available for students who need to take a class via Zoom immediately prior to, or following, an in-person class?
  • Yes, all open access labs will have web cameras to support Zoom videoconferencing. Please remember to bring your headsets. Open access labs are located:
    • Long Island Campus: Harry Schure Hall 2nd floor, and Wisser Library 1st floor
    • New York City Campus: 1855 Broadway – library (3rdt floor) and Room 703
  • If you have your own laptop computer with a camera and headset with a microphone, there are a number of other places you can go to learn/study:
    • Long Island Campus: Harry Schure Hall lobby and SAC Cafeteria
    • New York City Campus: Lower level of 26 W. 61st St.
  • We also have a limited number of laptops and mobile hotspots available for short-term loan at the Long Island and New York City campus libraries in the event you want to learn/study in a place that does not have ready wifi access.

Are there any free/low cost Internet access options that I might be able to take advantage of?

Will I need to have a webcam? And if so, does IT have any recommendations?

Yes. Just about any USB Logitech HD camera would work. We like the C920 or C920S Pro HD model (priced at $50–70) but any comparable USB device would work as well.

Is there a certain headset I should be using?

We recommend the Logitech H390 (available on Amazon for about $25) but any headset with a mic will do.

Do you have any quick tips and tricks to minimizing technical issues that might occur in Zoom classes?
  • #1 Tip: if your Internet connection is sluggish or unstable, mute your video.
  • Test your audio and position your video camera prior to class.
  • Mute your audio and turn off your camera by default.
  • Be mindful of background noise; mute your audio if you are not speaking or active in a conversation
  • Turn on gallery view so you can see your classmates; and hide non-video participants to avoid screen clutter.
  • If you don't have a neutral backdrop, use a simple (or fun) virtual background to hide house/office clutter.

Is there a number I can call if I have issues with Zoom or other software on my computer?

Depending on the nature of your question, your faculty member may be able to support you. Otherwise, please email Service Central at or call 516.686.1400. IT also provides live assistance via Zoom at 516.686.2222. Please visit the Service Central website for current hours of availability.

How will online office hours be conducted?

Faculty will have the option to conduct office hours in the modality they choose. Faculty with larger single-person offices (where the required 6 feet of social distancing can be maintained) may choose to conduct on-campus office hours. We are also encouraging the use of outdoor spaces for in-person meetings. And many faculty may offer office hours via Zoom.

How will the transition from Blackboard to Canvas impact students this semester?

Faculty will have the choice this year to use either Canvas or Blackboard, so you will most likely have a mix of courses being offered on both platforms. We are working to build tiles in the portal that will direct students to the right platform (i.e., your Blackboard courses will be listed under the Blackboard tile and your Canvas courses listed under the Canvas tile).

What are advantages to online learning vs. in person?

Advantages to online learning vs. in person learning really depend on your individual learning style and other factors. Some common advantages include:

  • Travel/proximity to campus and the time and money involved in a commute.
  • Lifestyle choices/circumstances and the need for flexibility, including the ability to juggle work/family commitments.
  • The ability to refine and develop critical-thinking skills.
  • Acquisition of new technical skills since online learning requires that you interact with digital learning materials, learn new collaborative and communication technologies, and get familiar with new tools and software.
  • Future career/professional goals:
    • Gain competitive advantage in the workforce because the skills that are needed to be a good online learner are similar to skills employers are looking for in their employees.
    • Demonstrate you are self-motivated and an independent learner who goes after things that interest you and seeks new opportunities and ways of doing things.
    • Hone your time management skills.
    • Improve your ability to work with others in a virtual environment: A great skill for people in careers that require them to work remotely and/or manage remote/global teams.
  • Addresses particular learning styles – i.e., move through content at your own speed; ability to repeat lessons/lectures that weren't clear.

Is wifi being extended on Long Island and New York City campuses?

Yes. New York Tech already had pervasive wireless connectivity indoors. We are also installing robust wireless in select high-use outdoor areas including the academic quad, the medical school circle, the healing path area. and other new outdoor seating areas.

Does New York Tech provide any free or discounted computers/software?

Yes. Information about computer discounts available from Dell and Apple as well as links to software that is available to students free of charge (such as Microsoft Office) are available on our web pages that detail computer requirements and software.

What are "synchronous" and "asynchronous" learning?

Synchronous learning occurs when the instructor and students interact in real time through an online medium such as Zoom. If you class is scheduled for a particular day and time(with a location of Zoom)you will need to logon at that time. Asynchronous learning happens on your time, and may include such methods as posted lectures, discussion boards, and self-guided lesson modules. Most courses in the fall will have both synchronous and asynchronous components, so students should pay particular attention to the course syllabus for instructions and due dates.

If New York Tech has to go fully online mid-semester, will the university help pay for technology and resources needed by students to finish classes completely online?

Most, if not all of the courses that New York Tech will offer in the fall 2020 semester will have an online component so students should plan accordingly. Review the minimum computing requirements for all New York Tech students.

In addition, New York Tech has set up an emergency fund to support students who need some financial support for non-tuition-based emergencies (such as not having a reliable computer during this time). See if you are eligible and apply for financial assistance through the Student Emergency Fund.

What if I don't have a computer or the programs I need?

Please contact Student Affairs: New York Tech has set up an emergency fund to support students who need some financial support for non-tuition-based emergencies (such as not having a reliable computer during this time). See if you are eligible and apply for financial assistance through the Student Emergency Fund.

How is New York Tech ensuring the online learning environment is equal to the investment we are making in tuition?

Since the change to remote education occurred in the spring, New York Tech has been planning for the fall. Technology has been added to all centrally scheduled classrooms to support enhanced communication between students in the classroom and those outside it. From a professional development perspective, our faculty members are taking what we learned from this past spring semester and putting in place clear instructional guidelines and policies for this fall. Our faculty understand deeply that the student experience is at the heart of what students and their families expect from a New York Tech education. Faculty who have elected to teach an online or blended course this fall are receiving a range of support and training. In addition we have expanded online and phone support hours for our IT Help Desk (Service Central) and Academic Technology Services.

I do not know my username and password to NYITConnect. I never used it before.

NYITConnect is an online service. Walk through the steps to get your username and password.

I lost my NYITConnect password. How do I reset it?

Please go to the NYITConnect reset page and go through the steps. If you need assistance, please contact Service Central at 516.686.1400 or email

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top


I am not feeling well and am not able to attend class and/or complete assignments. What should I do?

Students who do not feel well and are unable to attend class(es) and/or complete assignments should contact their professor(s) immediately. The professor will provide you with available options for your circumstance.

If you need to consider withdrawing from all classes for the remainder of the semester due to an extended illness, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students on your campus and a staff member will inform you about the "withdrawal for medical reasons" process, including academic/financial implications:

I was planning to study abroad this summer. Will I still be able to do so?

All New York Tech-led study abroad through August 31, 2020 has been canceled. Students who are traveling abroad with outside providers before August 31, 2020 are encouraged to cancel their trips. Updates will be posted here.

Do you need more information? Submit your questions here.

Back to Top