The Future of NYIT
The arrival in June 2017 of Hank Foley, Ph.D., as NYIT’s fourth president brought with it an opportunity to review and re-chart NYIT’s strategic direction. Fortunately, the institute’s existing strategic plan had mapped out several initiatives that were already being implemented and foundational to the development of a new strategic plan. Chief among these initiatives was a series of “Campus Conversations” that provided a wealth of information about how NYIT could better serve students and promote the best work of faculty and staff. The information provided through these conversations facilitated a smooth transition from the implementation of one strategic plan to mapping out a new strategic vision for NYIT.
Working with a team of faculty, staff, and administrators, President Foley has outlined a broad vision for NYIT to be achieved in a relatively short amount of time (three to five years). It will position the institute to be a leader among institutions in the New York metropolitan region and to be nationally and internationally recognized for the quality of its scholarship and the success it fosters among NYIT students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Such recognition and distinction will be grounded in the practical, hands-on, and data-driven approaches to problem-solving in which every member of the NYIT community engages, whether it be in improving the human condition, or improving the quality and efficiency of services for faculty, staff, or students.
The vision for NYIT’s future that is emerging focuses on several key areas that include:
- Improving retention and graduation rates and positioning our graduates for success.
- Increasing faculty scholarship and growing externally funded research.
- Building and renovating space for students, particularly spaces that allow them to collaborate with each other and with faculty.
- Building and renovating space for faculty scholarship, cutting-edge teaching and learning, and collaborations among disciplines.
- Revitalizing NYIT’s academic programs to be centered around hands-on learning, critical creativity, and designing and making solutions rather than studying about them.
Strategic Planning at NYIT
NYIT has a rich history of strategic planning, and we are proud of our accomplishments in this regard to date, as well as the lessons we have learned through our strategic planning efforts. The prior planning framework, NYIT 2030, was intended to provide NYIT a roadmap from its 50th to its 75th year. The updated 2030 plan, adopted in 2015, has guided NYIT’s faculty and administration for the past two years, and provides a solid foundation for the newest of NYIT’s strategic plans, which will be finalized and adopted later this year.