Students may enter the vocational program, a three-year Comprehensive Transition and Post-secondary program that focuses on academics, independent living, social skills development, and vocational exploration and training, or the pre-degree program, which guides students through regular NYIT academic majors:
- Vocational Program: certificate program with 6 vocational majors such as Retail, Children's Recreation, Clerical, Food Service, Facilities Maintenance, and Hospitality Services. The first year provides intensive coursework in independent living, social, and academic skills, as well as work readiness and skills evaluations. The second and third years include skills training and job placements.
- Pre-Degree Program: Qualified students in this program have access to all NYIT degree programs, which are generally started in the second semester. The degree program also offers intensive coursework in independent living, social, and academic skills. A highly individualized study program, individualized support, and counseling are integral parts of this experience.
- Associate Degree Support Program: Qualiified students can earn an Associate Degree in three years in either Communication Arts or Accounting while receiving support in social and independent living skills as well as academics while at VIP.
- Summer Program: VIP also offers the Introduction to Independence (I-to-I) program which features educational and vocational opportunities for students with learning disabilities.
Students should visit VIP before applying to meet students and professors and visit classes and residential facilities. Tours are by appointment only. VIP accepts a freshman class of 40 to 45 students. View our Academic Calendar.
To be considered for admission, applicants must:
- be at least 18 years old.
- provide a formal application that includes parent application, reference forms, school records, psychological/intelligence test results.
- undergo an on-campus interview, during which potential students complete their application.
For more information, please call 631.348.3354.