FAQs - Student Jobs

Below are answers to the most common questions we receive about student employment. If you have a different question though, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Old Westbury campus
David G. Salten Hall, room 3
Phone: 516.686.7527
Fax: 516.686.7508
Email: cs@nyit.edu

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 8000
Old Westbury, NY 11580

Manhattan campus
16 W. 61st St., room 611
Phone: 212.261.1537
Fax: 212.261.1670
Email: cs@nyit.edu

Mailing address:
1855 Broadway
New York, NY 10023


What is work-study?
Work study is part of your financial aid package.If you are awarded work-study, make sure you visit the Office of Student Employment by the first week in October so that your work-study award is not cancelled. You are awarded a specific amount of work-study money, and you work on campus or at an off-campus non-profit or community service agency to earn that money.When you have earned all the allotted money, you must stop working immediately. Work-study jobs run from July 1 through June 30.

How do I get work-study?
Work-study is only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who have completed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and indicated that they would like to be considered for work-study. NYIT’s Office of Financial Aid determines if you are eligible for a work-study award and its amount. Work-study is part of your financial aid package along with your other loans and scholarships.

back to top

I am not eligible or did not receive work-study; can I still get a job?
If you do not have work-study, then you may apply for a student aide position. The number of student aide positions is limited.

I am an international student; can I receive work-study?
No. Work-study funds are from the federal government and are available only to permanent residents and U.S. citizens. But there are employment opportunities open to international students.

If I can’t find a job, what happens to my work-study award?
You must find a job by the first week in October or your work-study award will be cancelled.Please visit the Office of Student Employment if you are having trouble finding a job.

back to top

When can I start working?
You can start working after you receive your time sheet from the Office of Student Employment via e-mail.

How many hours may I work?
You may work up to eight hours each day. During the academic year, you may work up to 20 hours per week. During school breaks and in the summer, you may work up to 35 hours per week. If you work more than six hours in one day, you must take one half-hour unpaid break.

When are time sheets due?
Time sheets are due by 10 a.m. on Fridays. If you are in Manhattan, time sheets are due by 1 p.m. on Thursdays during June, July, and August.

back to top

If I work on Fridays or the weekends how will that impact my pay period?
If you work on Fridays or weekends you should hand in your time sheet during the week following the week you worked. Your first paycheck will be delayed, but if you hand in your time sheet at the same time every week, you should be paid consistently.

When will I get paid?
Please see the Payroll page for information.

Where do I pick up my pay check?
In Old Westbury, you pick up your check in the department in which you work. In Manhattan, you pick up your check in the Main Campus Building (1855 Broadway), 12th floor, room 1201.

Why didn’t I get paid?
If you just started, you may have to wait up to a month to be paid for the first time. For all students, you should check the Pay Periods Web page to make sure you handed your time sheets in during the correct time frame to be paid on a particular date.

You may also want to check your e-mail to see if someone from the Office of Student Employment contacted you about an incorrect time sheet. Your time sheet may be incorrect if:

  • The time sheet is handwritten or completed in some other way than using the Excel spreadsheet
  • The time sheet is not signed and dated by you and your supervisor
  • The time sheet is a copy or fax (only originals are accepted)
  • You are not authorized and approved by the OSE to work or begin working
  • You were terminated

back to top

How do I get more money?
If you are earning work-study funds, you may ask the Office of Financial Aid if you are eligible for a work-study award increase. Your eligibility for an increase and and its amount is determined by your financial aid package. If you are earning student aide funds, you must ask your supervisor if you can get a student aide award increase. In either case, if you receive an increase, you must contact the Office of Student Employment so we can send you a new time-sheet file.

back to top

Do I pay Medicare or Social Security taxes?
The federal government allows all students who are enrolled at least half-time, are working for the institution where they study, and are not "career" employees (i.e., they are not benefited employees) to be exempt from paying Medicare and Social Security taxes (7.65 percent). Student who fall below half-time enrollment will have these taxes deducted from their earnings. During the summer, all students are considered to be enrolled less than half-time unless they provide specific documentation to the OSE to demonstrate otherwise.

Do I get paid for vacations or sick days?
Student employees do not receive vacation or sick days.

How many total hours may I work during the year
You can determine how many hours you may work by dividing your total award amount by your hourly pay rate. This will give you the number of hours you may work. Then you can divide those hours by the number of weeks you would like to work (e.g.,15 weeks per semester) to determine how many hours per week you should work.For example, a student who receives an allocation of $1,500 and is paid $8.50 an hour can work a total of 176 hours during the academic year ($1,500/$8.50 = 176 workable hours for the academic year). Therefore, over the course of two semesters (30 weeks), the student should work 5.85 hours a week (176/30 = 5.86 hours/week).

back to top

Can I work during the summer?
If you have work-study, your funds expire on June 30. In some cases, you may begin working on July 1 with your fall work-study funds. This will mean that you will likely run out of funds during the fall semester and not earn any more work-study for the rest of the academic year. You must contact the Office of Student Employment if you plan to work during the summer.

  • If you are a student aide, your funds expire on Aug. 31.
  • If you graduated and finished classes in May, you are no longer an NYIT student and must stop working.

I have reached my award amount, can I volunteer my service?
No. Labor law prohibits employers from accepting voluntary service from a paid employee.If you run out of work-study funds, contact the Office of Financial Aid to see if you are eligible for an award increase. If you run out of student aide funds, talk to your supervisor about an increase.

What if my job conflicts with my academic/class work?
If your job conflicts with your academic work, you should contact your supervisor to try to work out a schedule that can accommodate your school work. If you need further assistance, contact the Office of Student Employment.

back to top

What is the policy on a relative working in a department?
Students cannot work in the same department or office as a relative in a full-time or contracted faculty or staff position with NYIT, including spouses, fathers, mothers, guardians, sons, daughters, cousins, and grandparents.

What do I do if I believe harassment or discrimination is occurring?
NYIT has a strong policy on harassment and discrimination against employees of a protected group. Immediately see the dean for campus life for confidential assistance.

A student has falsified paperwork or time sheets, what actions should be taken?
The Office of Student Employment should be immediately notified if there is evidence that may indicate a student has falsified student employment documents or time sheets. These types of allegations are grounds for immediate termination of employment. See termination criteria for specific information.

Can a student employee be terminated?
A student can be terminated by failing to meet performance standards, multiple absences, or tardiness, and by violating the Student Code of Conduct. The termination process consists of a verbal warning, written warning, and finally termination. Please see termination criteria for more information.

back to top

Get Started