NYIT Smart Classroom Advisory Committee
Request for Proposals for Collaborative/Active Learning Classrooms Designs
The classroom has remained relatively unchanged for the last century, while the advances in information access and sharing, mobile communications and technology offer a wealth of resources for teaching and learning. Accordingly, the classroom concept must evolve to leverage the wealth of resources available for teaching and learning that support the knowledge and skills our students require for their success. To that end, NYIT offers a competitive challenge to our community to create/design a pilot student-centered classroom that supports active, collaborative teaching and learning.
NYIT is looking for innovation in classroom/learning space design that fosters active learning, supports student-centered teaching methods while facilitating increase faculty-student interaction. NYIT is offering a team-based competitive program that encourages collaboration among faculty, student and administrators to propose a collaborative classroom design to be implemented in fall of 2013.
REQUIRED FORMS FOR SUBMISSION
Resource List: Classroom design- Higher Education
- National Clearing house for Educational Facilities – Resource Lists: Classroom Design – Higher Education
- VENDOR-Design Learning Spaces
Leading the Transition from Classrooms to Learning Spaces
- Article: “Leading the Transition from Classrooms to Learning Spaces” by Diana Oblinger (PDF)
- Educause Publication: “Learning Spaces – Chapters 14-43 are case studies of learning spaces at Higher Education institutions (PDF)
- VENDOR PUBLICATION: “Rethinking Higher Education Spaces” by Steelcase.com (PDF)
Learning Space Design
- Knoll Workplace Research: "Research Case Study: Design for Learning Spaces in Higher Education" (PDF)
- University of Lincoln, UK: Learning Landscapes in Higher education -2010 (PDF)
- JISC: Designing Spaces for Effective Learning- A guide to 21st century learning space design (PDF)
- University of Queensland, Australia: "SPACE: Learning Spaces in Higher Education Positive Outcomes by Design" (PDF)
- Journal of Academic Librarianship: "First Questions for Designing Higher Education Learning Spaces" (PDF)
- Summary Report: Survey of Learning Space Design in Higher Education- 2009 (PDF)
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro: "Case Study Designing Informal Learning Spaces Using Student Perspectives"
Future of Higher Education
- Pew Internet & American Life Project – July 27, 2012: "The Future of Higher Education"
- Completion by Design: "CHART-Support Student Success: Preventing Loss, Creating Momentum" (PDF)
Active Learning Classrooms
- University of Minnesota: Active Learning Classrooms
- Active Learning Classrooms Pilot Evaluation (PDF)
- Designing Spaces for Active Learning (PDF)
- Technology-Enabled Active Learning Environments: An Appraisal (PDF)
Scale Up- Classrooms for 100+ students
- University of California: Active Learning Classrooms Report (PDF)
- University of San Diego Innovative Learning Spaces (PDF)
- Learning Space Design Guide (PDF)
Ideas from Other Schools/Vendors
- University of San Diego: Classroom, Technology, Design and Construction Guidelines (lots of links to classroom design links at other schools)
- Suze Muse: "Redesigning the 21st Century Classroom"
- Classroom Architect: Outline Your Classroom Floor Plan
- Texas Wesleyan University: "A Radically Flexible Classroom Design- Classroom. NEXT"
- Educause publication: "Classroom.NEXT: Engaging Faculty and Students in Learning Space Design" (PDF)
- University of Melbourne: “Creating New Generation Learning Environments on the University Campus” (PDF)
- VENDOR SITE: New Classrooms Innovation Partners for Learning
Classroom Design Guides
- University of San Diego- Learning Space Design Guide Version 5.2 (PDF)
- Princeton University Design Standards Manual (PDF)
- University of Cincinnati Design Guidance: Learning Environment (PDF)
- Emory College Classroom Design Guide (PDF)
- San Diego Unified School District Pacific Beach Middle School (PDF)