The Admissions cycle for Fall 2015 is now closed. Please return to this page after September 1, 2015 to apply to the new cycle (Spring 2016). Meanwhile, please review the requirements listed below.
The NYIT Nursing program has its own specific review process. Admission into the nursing major is competitive. The number of students accepted depends upon available resources, class limits, prerequisite coursework requirements and college GPA. Students must meet the requirements for admission into New York Institute of Technology first before they can be considered for the nursing major.
A student admitted into the nursing major will be admitted as a Nursing Intent student and will be eligible to register under the nursing major once all conditions of their acceptance into the nursing major have been met. Please note admission into the nursing major does not guarantee acceptance into the nursing program. To gain admission to the nursing program, the Department of Nursing requires students to complete specific program requirements (i.e. a review by the Department of Nursing Academic Review Committee and successful completion of the NURS 102 course).
Please note: students who are admitted and are interested in beginning the Clinical Phase of the Nursing Program must request a separate and specific review again during the Fall semester to be considered for admission to the Pre-Clinical Phase/NURS 102 (the gateway course to the Clinical Phase of the Nursing Program) in the Spring semester. NURS 102 is the first nursing course taken before admission and progression into the Clinical Phase of the Nursing Program.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting documentation. Student applicants who have already submitted the following supporting documentation to the NYIT, Admissions department within the last six months, DO NOT have to submit supporting documentation unless the student applicant has completed coursework elsewhere since their last nursing application submission.
- Personal Essay: In 300-350 words, telling us why you want to pursue a career in nursing?
- Two letters of reference: References can be from an employer, professor or someone who knows of your character and work ethic. All references must be addressed to the Department of Nursing Academic Review Committee.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges you have attended. If you have fewer than 24 credits of previous college work completed, you will need to submit official high school transcripts along with SAT 1 or ACT scores.
- minimum college CGPA of 2.75,
minimum grades of C+ or better in all required prerequisite coursework identified as:
- TMAT 135 Technical Math I
- CHEM 105 Applied Chemistry w/lab
- CHEM 215 Bio-Organic Chemistry w/lab
- BIOL 210 Human Gross Anatomy w/lab
- BIOL 310 Human Physiology w/lab
- FCSC 101 Foundations of Scientific Process
- PSYC 101 Introduction to Psychology
- PSYC 210 Statistical Analysis
- PSYC 221 Human Development
- BIOL 260 Nutrition and Diet Therapy (must be completed prior to the start of Fall Clinicals)
- BIOL 270 Pathophysiology (must be completed prior to the start of Fall Clinicals)
- BIOL 235 Microbiology w/lab (must be completed prior to the start of Fall Clinicals)
In addition to general education requirements listed as 1st, 2nd and 3rd semester courses. Students who are missing prerequisite coursework must demonstrate they can successfully complete ALL required Pre-Clinical coursework listed as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th semester courses prior to the start of NURS 301, Junior Year- 5th semester (see Nursing Curriculum Map (pdf))./p>
Application Review Process
To be considered for the review a student must:
- Meet eligibility requirements
- Be able to successfully complete ALL required prerequisite coursework prior to the start of NURS 301 (Junior Year- 5th semester, see Nursing Curriculum Map (pdf))
- Verify all required admission forms and supporting documents (personal essay, letters of recommendation, application, official transcripts) are on file with the NYIT Admissions department by the designated date.
Only complete student applications will be considered for the Nursing Review. Incomplete student applications will not be reviewed.<
After review of the above requirements, if you meet the established eligibility requirements, please apply through NYIT Admissions department.
NYIT Students Only (when application cycle is open)
After review of the above requirements, if you meet the established eligibility requirements, you must send a note of intent, via email, by the designated deadline indicating your desire to be evaluated.
- Send your note of intent, via email, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use only your NYIT email address to submit your request
- Subject line of email must read: INTENT NURSING
- Body of email must include: student ID number and full name in correspondence
- To complete the NYIT Paper Application (click here). DO NOT reapply online or submit your application to the admissions department. Completed applications must be mailed to Nursing/500 Building/Room 506
- All applications and original Letters of References must be hand-delivered or mailed to the Nursing Department
Review the above program criteria carefully before you apply to the nursing program. Additional information can be found by visiting our nursing website at www.nyit.edu/nursing.
- If your GPA is not 2.75 or better this semester, you are not ready for the current nursing review.
- If you have more than 2 required prerequisite courses repeated, you are not eligible for the nursing program.
- If you are unable to complete the courses required as indicated on the nursing curriculum map (all courses prior to the Junior Year-5th semester) before the start of the Fall semester, please do not apply.
Notification of Admission
All applications (irrespective of student status: NYIT Students, Nursing Majors or New Applicants) will be considered competitively.
All admission decisions are final. Applicants who are not accepted into the nursing major are welcomed to reapply in the next nursing review.
Due to specific college evaluation guidelines, the nursing department does evaluate transcripts prior to student's applying to the nursing program. All transcript evaluations are done exclusively thru the admissions department. The admissions department will determine whether or not courses attempted are applicable to the nursing curriculum. Student files with transcript evaluations pending approval/clearance of all transfer discrepancies by the admissions department will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed by the Department of Nursing Academic Review Committee. Students must submit their official transcripts by the stated deadline and all transcript evaluations must be completed to be considered for the nursing review. It is the student's responsibility to verify all required admission forms and supporting documents (personal essay, letters of recommendation, NYIT application, and official transcripts) are on file with the admissions department prior to the review.
Applicants to the School of Health Professions should be aware that certain legal issues and/or convictions may preclude student from being accepted by clerkships, internships and/or fieldwork and impact the student's ability to complete the required program courses and qualify for graduation, certification and/or licensure.