How to Apply to the D.O. Program
To be eligible for admission into NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM), you must:
- Have a baccalaureate degree from a college or university accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Department of Education is required. Candidates from a college where a formal articulation agreement exists for a combined degree are an exception to this requirement.
- NYITCOM will consider candidates with credentials from a college or university outside of the United States who have submitted an evaluation of their transcripts by the World Education Service or Globe Language Services to AACOMAS for verifying the equivalency of the minimum requirements for admission.
- Have completed an acceptable academic year sequence with a grade of “C” or better in the following prerequisite courses:
- English: six semester hours
- Biology, including a basic course in general biology or zoology (lecture and lab): eight semester hours
- General Chemistry (lecture and lab): eight semester hours
- Organic Chemistry (lecture and lab): eight semester hours
- Physics (lecture and lab): eight semester hours
- Have taken the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) in the past three years and report your scores directly to AACOMAS (Code 600).
- Meet NYITCOM technical standards for acceptance and matriculation
The above are minimum requirements for admission to the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Students are encouraged to enroll in additional courses such as calculus, comparative anatomy, genetics, physical chemistry, biochemistry, behavioral sciences, and neurosciences. Community and hospital based volunteer or professional work is another way by which applicants can assess their interest in the healing profession and express their commitment.
To apply to NYITCOM, visit aacom.org: This online application allows you to submit an application to us through a secure web server.
- May 1: AACOMAS begins to process application materials.
- February 1: Deadline for receipt of applications by AACOMAS.
Tell us more about yourself by completing our online supplemental application. Note: there is a nonrefundable fee of $80. Please be sure to view our Frequently Asked Questions for assistance with the supplemental application.
Evaluation letters from pre-professional committees should be sent directly to NYITCOM; you may also submit these materials using AACOMAS, Interfolio, or Virtual Evals. You may substitute evaluations from no less than three faculty members (two of whom must teach sciences if your current school lacks a pre-professional committee).
In addition, a personal evaluation by an osteopathic physician is strongly recommended.
You may transfer to NYITCOM to gain entry into your third year. You must have already completed the equivalent of all required first- and second-year courses. You may only transfer from osteopathic medical schools that are accredited by COCA. Each transfer request will be reviewed and eligibility determined on a case-by-case basis; at a minimum, the prospective transfer student must be in good academic standing at the originating osteopathic medical school.
Requirements, among others, include:
- Formal letter requesting transfer to NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, including undergraduate, graduate, and medical schools
- Record of MCAT results
- Written verification of student’s good academic standing
- Personal interview with NYITCOM faculty and staff
- Successful completion of COMLEX Step I
Application for transfer and required documentation must be submitted between Feb. 1 and March 15. Admission decisions will be made after all currently enrolled NYITCOM students are placed in clinical rotations (typically during the month of April).
Next Steps: After You’ve AppliedMore
Checking Your Application Status
If you are chosen for an interview, you will be contacted. Otherwise, we are not able to offer individual status checks.
We begin interviewing in the fall and continue through early spring until the class is filled. We work on a rolling basis so applicants are interviewed and accepted throughout this time period. All admissions decisions are sent via regular mail, providing you ample time to make your enrollment decision (we do not offer extensions).
Updating Application Information
If you need to update information on your primary application, you must contact AACOMAS directly. To update information on your NYITCOM supplemental application, you can "edit" information prior to payment or "add" information after payment.
Withdrawing An Application
To withdraw your AACOMAS application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request to withdraw from the current academic year’s application cycle. Please include your full name and AACOMAS ID number.