Veterans FAQs

Who do I see on my campus about resources for students who are veterans? »

The Office of Registrar is responsible for coordinating the Veteran Benefits Program:

  • Nancy Borchers, Associate Registrar
    Old Westbury
    Harry J. Schure Hall Room: 142A

For general questions or information you can reach our Veteran Student Liaisons:

  • Sheila Harris Reid, Veteran Student Liaison
    16 West 61st Street, Room: 019-C19
  • Penisse Gomillion, Veteran Student Liaison
    Old Westbury
    Harry J. Schure Hall Room: 141

What are the Veterans Education Benefits? »

  • Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty)
  • Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • Chapter 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA)
  • Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill (Selective Reserve)
  • Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

What courses will the VA Pay for? »

The VA does not pay for courses which are not prerequisites or required in a students’ degree program. Students are responsible for ensuring that the courses apply toward their degree. If they are not sure, they should consult with their academic advisors. If they are having difficulty contacting your advisor, please contact: Jessica Wietsma (MA Advising and Enrichment Center) or Nicole Sheehan (OW Advising and Enrichment Center).

The VA will pay for repeated courses as long as they are required and the grades previously earned do not meet degree requirements. Enrolling again in a course from which a student withdrew is not considered a repeated course. The VA will pay for remedial courses if the student has a deficiency in the subject. The VA will not pay for refresher courses.

Students have access to Semester Maps and can print out their individualized Program Evaluation from their NYITConnect account. Both documents will outline what courses are needed for your degree program. The Program Evaluation will include any credits that have been evaluated by NYIT and that count towards your degree program.

How many months of education benefits can I get under MGIB-AD (Chapter 30)? »

You can get up to 36 months of full-time education benefits under the GI Bill after completing the full period of your enlistment.

If you were discharged (before completing your full enlistment) for a service-connected disability, a pre-existing medical condition, hardship, a physical condition that interfered with duty, or a reduction in force, you may earn one month of entitlement for each month of active duty.

If you were discharged (before completing your full enlistment) for the convenience of the government, you can get up to 36 months of full-time benefits if you completed: 20 months of a two-year enlistment, or 30 months of a three-year enlistment.

If you’re eligible for more than one VA education program, you can get up to 48 months of benefits by combining the multiple programs.

Rates and months of entitlement are adjusted proportionally according to your enrollment. If you are enrolled for less than full-time training, the months of entitlement will increase. For example, if you’re enrolled for ½ (half) time training, you’ll receive 72 months of benefits instead of 36. However, your monthly payment will be ½ (half) of that paid for full-time enrollment.

Who is eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) education benefits and how long can I be entitled? »

VA Vocational Rehabilitation is a program whose primary function is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or achieve independence in daily living. The program offers a number of services to help each eligible disabled veteran reach her/his rehabilitation goal. These services include: vocational and personal counseling, education and training, financial aid, job assistance, and, if needed, medical and dental treatment. Services generally last up to 48 months, but can be extended in certain instances.

A veteran may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) benefits if he/she:

  • is or will be discharged under other than dishonorable conditions;
  • incurred or aggravated a service-connected disability which entitles him/her to VA disability compensation;
  • needs vocational rehabilitation due to her/his service-connected disability creating an employment handicap.

An eligible veteran generally has 12 years from the date he/she is notified of entitlement to VA compensation to use her/his Chapter 31 benefits. The VA may approve an extension of time and/or length of training in certain cases.

A veteran who is eligible for an evaluation under Chapter 31 first must apply for services and meet with a vocational rehabilitation counselor (VRC). The VRC will work with the veteran to determine if an employment handicap exists as a result of his/her service-connected disability. If an employment handicap is established and the veteran is entitled to services, the VRC and the veteran will continue counseling to select a track of services and jointly develop a plan to address the veteran’s rehabilitation and employment needs.

What are the Post-9/11 GI Bill Eligibility for Active Duty Veterans (Chapter 33)? »

Veterans who have served at least 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001 and received an honorable discharge will qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To qualify for the full benefit a veteran must have served at least 3 years of active duty after September 10, 2001. Those who qualify for the Active Duty GI Bill, the Reserve GI Bill or REAP will have the option to choose which benefit best suits their need.

For those who served on active duty after 9/10/2001, the following chart applies:

Member Serves Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable
At least 36 months 100%
At least 30 continuous days on active duty, and must be discharged due to service-connected disability 100%
At least 30 months, but less than 36 months 90%
At least 24 months, but less than 30 months 80%
At least 18 months, but less than 24 months 70%
At least 12 months, but less than 18 months 60%
At least 06 months, but less than 12 months 50%
At least 90 days, but less than 06 months 40%

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program – Post 9/11 GI Bill? »

NYIT is a part of the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement program. Yellow Ribbon enhances your educational benefits by covering tuition and fees at higher-cost institutions. As of August 1, 2015 to July 31, 2016 the VA will pay $21,084.89 for 100% eligible veterans collecting the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

For more information please contact your school's VA coordinator or visit for more information.

Who's Eligible for Dependents’ Educational Assistance Benefits, what can they be used for, and duration of benefits (Chapter 35)? »

The Dependents’ Educational Assistance program provides education benefits for the spouse and dependent children of a veteran or service member who:

  1. Is determined to be permanently and totally disabled from service connected causes, or
  2. Is on active duty and is likely to be discharged with a permanent and total disability, or
  3. Died in service, or
  4. Died of service connected causes, or
  5. Is currently missing in action or captured in the line of duty.

This benefit may be used for pursuit of an undergraduate or graduate degree, courses leading to a certificate or diploma from business, technical or vocational schools, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training programs. Benefits for correspondence courses are available to spouses only. The program provides up to 45 months of full time benefits for education or training. If you are training at less than the full time rate of pursuit, the number of months would be adjusted accordingly.

Effective October 1, 2013 you may be entitled to a total of 81 months of full-time benefits if you are eligible for the DEA program and another GI Bill program such as the Montgomery GI Bill, the Post-9/11 GI Bill or others (this does not include those enrolled in the Vocational Rehabilitation Program). People who have already used 48 months of combined benefits between the DEA program and a GI Bill program prior to October 1, 2013 are not eligible for this extended benefit.

This rule does not apply to any combination of GI Bill programs that do not include the DEA program.

How do I request an extension of my MGIB-AD or Post-9/11 GI Bill Ending Date? »

To request an extension of your eligibility period for using your Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty or Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, send the VA a letter requesting your extension based on one of the following:

  • You have served a later period of active duty of 90 consecutive days or more;
  • You have experienced an illness or disability that prevented you from attending school.
  • You were detained by a foreign government or power after your last discharge or release from active duty.

For more information or details on what types of documents so submit please visit or contact a Veteran Student Liaison.

Who is eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill – Select Reserves (Chapter 1606) education benefits and how many months can be entitled? »

Members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard Reserves, the Army National Guard, and the Air Guard are eligible for MGIB-SR (chapter 1606). The Reserve and Guard components decide who is eligible for the program.

Eligibility Requirements are:

  1. A 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserves
  2. Complete Initial Active Duty for Training.
  3. Meet the requirements for a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before applying for benefits
  4. Remain in good standing in a Selected Reserve Unit.

You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits.

How many months will I be entitled to REAP (Chapter 1607)? »

You will receive 36 months of entitlement at the full-time training rate, or an equivalent amount at a lesser training rate (for example, if you train at half-time, you will receive 72 months of entitlement).

A REAP participant may not use more than 48 months of entitlement under any combination of VA Educational programs. For example, if you’ve already used 20 months of MGIB-SR, you will only receive 28 months of REAP.

What happens if you are deploying or activated? »

Students who have been called for active duty must present a copy of their assignment orders to the Office of the Registrar and a number of options are open depending upon the length of the deployment. First discuss the situation with your advisor and instructors to help you decide upon a course of action. The options available to range from special arrangements for make-up work, to an incomplete grade, to withdrawal from a course or semester. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs would pay your educational assistance benefits up to the date you drop or withdraw from a course or semester.

I’ve been called to Active Duty. How does this affect my period of eligibility? »

If you are activated under Title 10 (Federal authority), VA will generally extend your period of eligibility by the period of your active duty plus 4 months (your new period of eligibility may extend past your reserve obligation). You will receive a separate extension for each call-up. This extension is not available if you were called up under Title 32.

Are there any academic support services available to students who are veterans? »

Some veterans are eligible for tutorial benefits. In order to be eligible for tutorial benefits, veterans must be receiving monthly veteran’s benefits on at least a half-time basis. Such veteran students are entitled to 12 months of tutorial benefits to a maximum of $100.00 per month. Contact your Veteran’s Affairs representative for additional information.

NYIT’s Advising and Enrichment Center (AEC) has plenty of services to help make the transition to college and continue your success throughout your time here. Veteran students have access to free tutoring in person and online for a variety of academic subjects.

In addition to college work-study, are there any work-study programs designed to assist veterans? »

Students may be eligible for Veteran’s Work-Study benefits. In order to be eligible, students must be receiving full-time veteran’s benefits. Such students can work up to 750 hours per year at a rate of at least the federal minimum wage. For more information, visit Career Services, and they will assist if you are eligible.

How does the VA pay monthly benefits? »

With the exception of advance pay, the VA pays at the end of each benefit month. Students receiving Chapter 30 and 1606 benefits are required to “verify” their enrollment status on or after the last day of the month. Current rates or further details can be found on Please note that amounts may be less than the monthly rate due to amounts being prorated based on the number of days in the month for which you are enrolled.

How do I verify my enrollment each month for educational benefits? »

Benefits other than the Post 9/11 GI Bill need verify their enrollment each month to the US Department of Veterans Affairs in order to receive payment for that month. It can be done through by clicking on “Verifying School Attendance” (right side below the eBenefits link) or by calling 1.877.823.2378.

How long will it take to receive my benefits? »

First-time applicants could take up to 6 weeks before VA processes the enrollment information depending on the number of new applications received. If you are receiving benefits under MGIB-AD (Chapter 30) or MGIB-SR (Chapter 1606), you must also verify your enrollment at the end of each month in order to receive payment for that month. Benefits are paid after each month of school is completed. Payment is generally received within two weeks of verifying your enrollment at the end of the month (or within one week if using Direct Deposit).

Are VA Education Benefits Taxable? »

No. Any veterans’ benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service.

Can I be eligible for two or more Education Benefits? »

Yes, you may be eligible for more than one VA education benefit program. However, you may only receive payments from one program at a time. You can receive a maximum of 48 months of benefits under any combination of VA education programs you qualify for. Please notify the VA if you are eligible for more than one program and which program you intend to use first.

How to set up, update, and access Direct Deposit of my education benefits? »

Direct deposit is available for Post-9/11 GI Bill, MGIB-AD, MGIB-SR, REAP, and VRAP benefits. To access Direct Deposit visit to complete the process. You may also call 1888.442.4551 for assistance or more options.

What causes debts with VA Education Programs? »

If you decrease your training time (drop classes, leave school, etc.) and we have already processed a payment for tuition and fees, and overpayment will occur. When the School Certifying Official notifies us of a change, a debt is created against your account. The school will issue any refunds in accordance with their internal policy, which may not fully cover the debt with the VA. If the amount refunded by the school does not satisfy the debt, you are responsible for the remainder:

  • If the school refunds money directly to the VA, we will credit your account any amount the school refunds.
  • If they refund money directly to you, you must clear the debt with us.

A decrease in your credit hours could also result in changes to your housing allowance and books & supplies stipend. If VA has already issued you a payment for the term a debt will be created on your account.

For further questions or information call 888.442.4551.

Why do I have a Debt with the VA over tuition and fees paid to my school? »

When you enroll in school and take classes, you enter into an agreement with the school to pay for your classes and the associated fees. VA pays the tuition and fees to the school on your behalf when the School Certifying Official (SCO) certifies that you are enrolled in classes. By law, you are responsible for any debt incurred while receiving benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. VA is required by law to recoup any debt.

You are responsible for keeping track of your tuition and fee account balance. Visit your school's financial office regularly to review your account, ensure the charges are correct and that payments and refunds are processed correctly. Contact your SCO to make sure the certification sent to the VA matches your schedule. Please contact the Debt Management Center (DMC) at 800.827.0648 when you receive a debt letter, they are the sole authority in resolving debts.

How are housing allowance paid if I’m not a full-time student? »

Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, a Veteran enrolled at more than one-half time can qualify for a monthly housing allowance based on DoD's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rate for an E-5 with dependents. VA determines eligibility for housing allowance by calculating the rate of pursuit. Rate of pursuit is expressed in a percentage calculated by dividing the number of credits in which the student is enrolled by the number of credits considered to be full time. A student with a rate of pursuit greater than 50% can qualify for the housing allowance.

For undergraduate enrollments, 12 semester or quarter hours are generally required for full-time training. The school submits the term dates and credit hours of the enrollment to VA and we calculate the rate of pursuit.

Some schools offer classes in terms that are shorter than a standard length semester or quarter. This is especially true for online classes and summer enrollments, but some schools offer accelerated terms at brick-and-mortar campuses year round. In these cases, VA calculates weighted "equivalent credit hours" so that fewer credits are required for full-time (and more than half-time) training.

Because graduate level programs vary in the amount of credits required for full-time training, the school provides the training time information to VA in addition to the term dates and credit hours of the enrollment.

Monthly Housing Allowance Payments
Once the training time is determined, the monthly housing allowance is paid at the nearest 10% level. For instance if your training time is determined to be 58% as calculated above you will be paid 60% of the applicable housing allowance. If your training time is calculated to be 84% you will be paid 80% of the applicable housing allowance.

Do I get Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) while enrolled in distance learning? »

The effective MHA rate for those enrolled solely in distance learning is $714.50 a month for the 2013 - 2014 academic year. This amount is 1/2 the national average BAH rate.

Can I Receive Credit for my Military Training? »

All undergraduate service members and veterans are encouraged to have their official military transcript sent to NYIT for prior learning credit review. To order your transcript, contact your branch of service noted below.

The Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard now use the centralized Joint Services Transcript System, which will electronically send your official transcript to NYIT. The transcript includes your military training and occupational experience along with American Council on Education college credit recommendations. Upon receipt, your JST transcript will be reviewed for prior learning credit applicable to your major at NYIT.

Service members of the Air Force receive college credit for training through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). Academic transcripts from CCAF should be sent to NYIT for transfer credit review.

For more information you can contact:

  • Katie Lyons – Office of Prior Learning
    Old Westbury
    Gerry House
    Room: 217

What is the difference between in-residence training and distance learning? »

In-residence training for undergraduate students: consists of regularly scheduled standard class sessions (at least once every two weeks). The total number of hours of classroom instruction (based on 50 minutes of instruction per hour) must equal, or be greater than, the number of credit hours awarded for the course multiplied by the number of weeks in the term.

In-residence training for graduate students: consists of regularly scheduled standard class sessions, research (either on or off campus), or a combination of both.

Distance learning consists of interaction between the student and the instructor (who is physically separated from the student) through the use of communications technology instead of regularly scheduled, conventional classroom or laboratory sessions. Communications technology includes mail, telephone, audio or videoconferencing, computer technology (on-line internet courses or email), or other electronic means such as one-way and two-way transmissions through open broadcast, closed circuit, cable, microwave, broadband lines, fiber optics, satellite, or wireless communications devices.

What if I receive a failing grade? »

If you fail a class you receive what is called a "punitive grade" for that class. A punitive grade is a grade that doesn’t count as earned credit, but is used in determining a student’s progress toward graduation requirements. This means that the grade you receive counts in your overall degree progress, albeit negatively. Since this grade counts towards your graduation progress you are not required to repay any GI Bill money you received for that class.

You may take the class again in an attempt to receive credit towards graduation or raise your grade for it and you may receive GI Bill payment for the retaking of the class.

Can I use the Post-9/11 GI Bill on active duty while on Active Duty? »

You can use the Post-9/11 GI Bill on active duty provided you have completed at least 90 days of service (excluding basic entry level & skill training). The tuition payment cannot exceed the amount not paid by military tuition assistance and/or the total amount of tuition & fees.

How is my GI Bill Entitlement charged? »

You get 36 months of full-time entitlement under most GI Bill programs. In most cases your entitlement is charged according to your training time. Therefore, if you are training fulltime for 4 months you use up 4 months of entitlement, likewise if you are training at 1/2 time for 4 months you use up 2 months of entitlement.

What is the difference between a punitive and a non-punitive grade? »

If you fail a class you may receive what is called a "punitive grade" for that class. This means that the grade you receive earns credit towards your degree, even though it may bring your GPA down. Since this grade counts towards your degree requirements (even negatively) you are entitled to GI Bill benefits for any class you receive such a grade in.

A "non-punitive grade" is a grade that doesn't earn credit towards your degree. An example of this may be withdrawal after the drop period; or other things like auditing a class, academic probation, or suspension. Since non-punitive grades don't count towards your degree you may be required to repay any GI Bill money you received for such classes.

What must I do if I change my course load/training time? »

If you change your course load/training time (for example, go from being a full-time student to a 3/4 time student), you must contact the School Certifying Official at your school or training facility. The official will send documentation to VA to adjust your benefits.

To avoid any possible overpayment of benefits, inform VA directly of your course load/training time change. If you’re receiving MGIB-SR, MGIB-AD or REAP, you may use Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE).

Recipients of any VA Education benefit can send a message to VA by clicking the “ask a question” tab above, or by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to inform us of a reduction in your course load/training time.

NOTE: Changes made through WAVE aren’t automatic. They require a review by a VA claims processor before an adjustment in benefits can be made.

How long can I use The Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits transferred to me? »

If you are a spouse, you can begin using the transferred benefits after the transferor completes 6 years of service. If you are a child and you are at least 18 years of age (or you have completed your secondary school requirements), you can begin using the transferred benefits after the transferor completes 10 years of service.

You remain eligible to use transferred entitlement until the EARLIEST of the following dates:

For a spouse:

  1. The transferor's ending date of eligibility (generally 15 years from the transferor's last discharge from active duty); or
  2. The ending date specified by the transferor (if one was specified); or
  3. The effective date the transferor revokes the transferred entitlement; or
  4. If the transferor dies while on active duty, 15 years after the transferor's date of death.

For a child:

  1. Your 26th birthday; or
  2. The ending date specified by the transferor (if one was specified); or
  3. The effective date the transferor revokes the transferred entitlement. NOTE: The transferor retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time.

Who is eligible for New York State (NYS) Veterans Tuition Awards? »

Veterans Tuition Awards (VTA) are awards for full-time study and part-time study for eligible veterans matriculated in an approved program at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution or in an approved vocational training program in New York State.

NOTE: Students previously approved for this award must apply for payment each year. Those students who are attending an approved undergraduate or graduate program may apply for payment for the current academic year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and then linking to the TAP on the Web application.

Students attending a vocational school only do not have to file the FAFSA or TAP on the Web application.

Award Amounts
For full-time study, a recipient shall receive an award of up to the full cost of undergraduate tuition for New York state residents at the State University of New York, or actual tuition charged, whichever is less. Full-time study is defined as twelve or more credits per semester (or the equivalent) in an approved program at a degree-granting institution, or twenty-four or more hours per week in a vocational training program.

For part-time study, awards will be prorated by credit hour. Part-time study is defined as at least three but fewer than twelve credits per semester (or the equivalent) in an approved program at a degree-granting institution, or six to twenty-three hours per week in a vocational training program.

2014-15 Awards
For the 2014-15 academic year, awards will be set at $6,195 or tuition, whichever is less. If a Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) award is also received, the combined academic year award cannot exceed tuition. Thus, the TAP award may be reduced accordingly. NOTE: Tuition payments received by a veteran under the Chapter 33 Program and Yellow Ribbon component will be considered duplicative of any VTA award students may have received. However, payments received under the Montgomery GI bill do not duplicate the VTA award.

Combined tuition benefits available to a student cannot exceed the actual tuition. Students attending high tuition schools may be eligible to receive both the Federal and State benefits. Additionally, students whose “Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable” under the Chapter 33 Program is less than 100% of tuition may also receive both Federal and State benefits.

Eligible students are those who are New York State residents discharged under honorable conditions from the U.S. Armed forces and who are:

  • Vietnam Veterans who served in Indochina between February 1, 1961 and May 7, 1975.
  • Persian Gulf Veterans who served in the Persian Gulf on or after August 2, 1990.
  • Afghanistan Veterans who served in Afghanistan during hostilities on or after September 11, 2001.
  • Veterans of the armed forces of the United States who served in hostilities that occurred after February 28, 1961 as evidenced by receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal or a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal.

These students must also:

  • Establish eligibility by applying to HESC.
  • Be New York State residents.
  • Be US Citizens or eligible noncitizens.
  • Be matriculated full or part- time at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution in New York State or in an approved vocational training program in New York State.
  • Have applied for the Tuition Assistance Program for all undergraduate or graduate study.
  • Have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a GED, or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department.
  • Meet good academic standing requirements.
  • Be charged at least $200 tuition per year.
  • Not be in default on a federal or State made student loan or on any repayment of state awards.

For further information or to apply please visit:

What other aid is available to Reservists or Army National Guard? »

In order to receive up-front tuition assistance, active-duty Army and activated Army National Guard and reservists are required to apply and enroll through the GoArmyEd portal at Effective Oct. 1, 2009, inactive reservists also have been required to apply and enroll through the portal. Inactive Army National Guard students receive tuition assistance from the state and, therefore, can apply and enroll directly through the center of their choice. A maximum of $4500 are available per fiscal year to 750 hours per year at a rate of at least the federal minimum wage.

Registrar Updates