Human Resource Management
NYIT partners with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to offer two HR courses:
Earn the New Standard in HR Certification!
Now, more than ever, HR teams are required to assume a greater leadership role, contributing to the strategic direction of their organization. The HR profession is no longer just about what you know – but how you do your job.
Establish yourself as a globally-recognized human resource expert by earning the new standard in HR certification: SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP SM) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCPSM). These professional certifications can open doors for professional advancement, serve to harmonize standards with changing expectations and signal to employers advanced professional development. They reflect what HR practitioners need to know to be leaders in their organizations and in the profession.
Ensure you're prepared with NYIT SHRM Learning System course, designed for SHRM credential candidates. Expand and test your knowledge and practical, real-life competencies in areas critical for HR career success. For more information concerning the SHRM credentials, please select this.
Why Enroll in Our Course?
As part of your course, you will receive the SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP. The SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP includes five modules covering the comprehensive SHRM BoCK (SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge) so you’ll learn everything you need for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP exam.
By Attending our Course, You will Benefit From:
- Educating HR professionals has been NYIT’s specialty for over 35 years
- An experienced, certified instructor who is an HR professional with senior management experience and focused on facilitating your exam preparation
- The SHRM Learning System, historically ranked the #1 HR certification prep tool
- Ability to acquire the knowledge and understand the behavioral competencies to help you prepare for the exam
- A structured learning experience that keeps you on track
- Opportunities to network and learn from your peers
- Tuition reimbursement and up to 36 professional development credits (PDCs)
- Value-added Feature! An extra review session on business and HR strategy is provided.
- A Smart Investment-- If you do not pass your certification exam, you may attend our class the following semester for only a $225 re-registration fee, provided you still have the necessary materials.
What is Included in this Course:
- Five learning modules that provide an in-depth exploration of the topics within the SHRM BoCK.
- Sections on competencies in action are interspersed throughout learning modules to highlight how competencies apply to particular topic areas.
- Study with printed books or download material to an e-reader. You can access the SHRM Learning system by PC, laptop, mobile device or e-reader.
- Test bank with more than 1,000 questions that test your situational judgment, knowledge and comprehension.
- Download flashcards (printed or online).
- New this term! 150 SRM-CP and 150 SHRM-SCP situational judgment questions.
- Experienced instructors.
- Extra review class offered to registrants.
The course is available in a 36-hour classroom based format. Classroom-based classes meet once a week on one of NYIT's convenient Long Island or Manhattan campuses. They are taught by experienced and skilled instructors who have successfully guided several hundred individuals through their certification exams.
Those who successfully complete the course receive a Certificate of Human Resource Management from SHRM, and 3.5 CEUs of credit.
Eligibility Requirements and Exam Information
The SHRM certification preparation course is designed primarily for individuals seeking SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification.
SHRM-CP and SHRM -SCP Certification Handbook describes the new SHRM exam process with various items such as preparing for the exam and eligiblity requirements. The handbook can be downloaded from shrmcertification.org/certificationhandbook. Keep in mind that eligibility has changed and your HR experience may be in an HR exempt or nonexempt capacity.
Advancing your career. For those not seeking certification, the SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP course provides a comprehensive and accelerated option for professional development. Participants gain a generalist viewpoint, refresh key ideas and concepts, strengthen their understanding of core HR competencies and increase productivity.
If you are a SHRM member or alumni, you should select the class section with an "s" at the end for the discount. You can also fax or email your registration form to 516.686.7716 or email email@example.com. For additonal information, please call 516.686.7722.
* If you are an SHRM member or NYIT Alumni, please select the class section that has an "S" in it, in order to receive your discount.
Fall 2016 Schedule of classes - XMGT-016 HR Professional Certification Examination Preparation:
Manhattan: Section XMGT-016- M01
Meets Mondays, Sept. 19 - Dec. 12, with one additional date TBD (no class Oct.3)
6 - 9 p.m.
Old Westbury: Section XMGT-016-W01
Meets Tuesdays, Sept. 20 - Dec. 13, with one additional date TBD (no class Oct. 11)
6 - 9 p.m.
Old Westbury: Section XGT-016-W02
Meets Saturdays, Oct. 1 - Dec. 10 (no class Nov. 26)
9 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Tuition: $1230 or $1180 for alumni and SHRM members. The price includes the SHRM Learning system and access to web-based practice exam.
Instructors for SHRM Learning System classes
Monday evening classes in Manhattan will be taught by William Ninehan. Professor Ninehan is Director of HR Program Development and is on the faculty of NYIT’s Center for Human Resource Studies, where he teaches graduate and undergraduate HR courses and the SHRM Learning System course. He holds an Ed.S. degree in Human and Organizational Learning from The George Washington University, and SPHR, GPHR, and California certifications. He has been an item writer for the GPHR certification exam.
Tuesday evening classes in Old Westbury will be taught by Joe Libertelli, MBA, MA, SPHR, has over 20 years of HR/Labor experience, on both sides of the table. He is presently the Director of Labor Relations at Nassau University Medical Center and formerly Director of HR for Family Residences and Essential Enterprises. He earned a Master of Arts (MA) Degree in Labor/Policy and a Master's of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Management and Leadership.
Saturday classes in Old Westbury will be taught by Deirdre Duke. Deirdre Duke, RN, M.S.N, JD, L.L.M. is currently employed as the Corporate Director of HR Programs for the North Shore-LIJ Health System. She has 18 years of healthcare HR experience in generalist, leadership and legal roles. After a successful nursing career, Deirdre earned law degrees from St. John's University and Touro School of Law, and practiced at two Long Island law firms prior to entering the Human Resources profession. She holds SPHR, CCP, CBP and coaching certifications.