Human Resource Management
NYIT partners with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to offer two HR courses:
- SHRM Learning System® course as preparation for certification as SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP ®) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP®).
- SHRM®; Essentials of Human Resource Management course for managers and HR specialists.
Earn the New Standard in HR Certification!
Now, more than ever, HR teams are required to assume a greater leadership role, contributing to the strategic direction of their organization. The HR profession is no longer just about what you know – but how you do your job.
Establish yourself as a globally-recognized human resource expert by earning the new standard in HR certification: SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP®) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP®). These professional certifications can open doors for professional advancement, serve to harmonize standards with changing expectations and signal to employers advanced professional development. They reflect what HR practitioners need to know to be leaders in their organizations and in the profession.
Ensure you're prepared with NYIT SHRM Learning System course, designed for SHRM credential candidates. Expand and test your knowledge and practical, real-life competencies in areas critical for HR career success. Find out more about SHRM certification.
Spring 2017 Schedule of classes - XMGT-016 HR Professional Certification Examination Preparation:
Manhattan: Section XMGT-016- M01
Meets Mondays, February 13 – May 22 plus one date
6 - 9 p.m.
Old Westbury: Section XMGT-016-W01
Meets Tuesdays, February 14 – May 23
6 - 9 p.m.
Old Westbury: Section XMGT-016-W02
Meets Saturdays, February 25 – May 13
9 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
How to Register
NOTE: If you are an SHRM member or NYIT Alumni, please select the class section that has an "S" in it, in order to receive your discount.Register Now
Tuition: $1265 or $1215 for alumni and SHRM members. The price includes the SHRM Learning system and access to web-based practice exam.
As part of your course, you will receive the SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP. The SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP includes five modules covering the comprehensive 2017 SHRM BoCK (SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge) so you’ll learn everything you need for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP exam.
- NYIT has been educating HR professionals for over 35 years.
- Courses are taught by experienced, certified instructors who are HR professional with senior management experience and are focused on facilitating your exam preparation.
- The SHRM Learning System has historically been ranked the #1 HR certification prep tool, helping you to acquire the knowledge and understand the behavioral competencies to prepare for the exam
- We provide a structured learning experience that keeps you on track and gives you the opportunity to network and learn from your peers.
- We offer tuition reimbursement and up to 36 professional development credits (PDCs).
- As a value-added feature, we offer an extra review session on business and HR strategy.
- If you do not pass your certification exam, you may attend our class the following semester for only a $225 re-registration fee, provided you still have the necessary materials.
- Five learning modules that provide an in-depth exploration of the topics within the 2017 updated SHRM BoCK.
- Sections on "competencies in action" are interspersed throughout learning modules to highlight how competencies apply to particular topic areas.
- Study using printed books or download material to an e-reader. You can access the SHRM Learning system by PC, laptop, mobile device, or e-reader.
- Test bank with more than 1,000 questions that test your situational judgment, knowledge and comprehension.
- Download flashcards (printed or online).
- 150 SHRM-CP and 150 SHRM-SCP situational judgment questions.
- Experienced instructors.
- Extra review class offered to registrants.
The course is available in a 36-hour classroom based format. Classroom-based classes meet once a week on one of NYIT's convenient Long Island or Manhattan campuses. They are taught by experienced and skilled instructors who have successfully guided several hundred individuals through their certification exams.Register Now
Those who successfully complete the course receive a Certificate of Human Resource Management from SHRM, and 3.5 CEUs of credit. This course can also be used for recertification credit; it has been pre-approved for 30 SHRM PDC credits. NYIT is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP credentials.
Eligibility Requirements and Exam Information
The SHRM certification preparation course is designed primarily for individuals seeking SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification.
The SHRM-CP and SHRM -SCP Certification Handbook describes the new SHRM exam process with various items such as preparing for the exam and eligibility requirements. Keep in mind that eligibility has changed and your HR experience may be in an HR exempt or nonexempt capacity.
Advancing your career. For those not seeking certification, the SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP course provides a comprehensive and accelerated option for professional development. Participants gain a generalist viewpoint, refresh key ideas and concepts, strengthen their understanding of core HR competencies and increase productivity.
Instructors for SHRM Learning System classes
Monday evening classes in Manhattan will be taught by William Ninehan. Professor Ninehan is Director of HR Program Development and is on the faculty of NYIT’s Center for Human Resource Studies, where he teaches graduate and undergraduate HR courses and the SHRM Learning System course. He holds an Ed.S. degree in Human and Organizational Learning from The George Washington University, and SPHR, GPHR, and California certifications. He has been an item writer for the GPHR certification exam.
Tuesday evening classes in Old Westbury will be taught by Shannon Mashburn, MS in Human Resources, SPHR, SHRM-SCP. She is a First Vice President in the Human Resources Group for New York Community Bancorp, (NYCB) where she is responsible for overseeing a team of HR professionals who implement staffing and retention initiatives in line with NYCB's strategic objectives. Shannon obtained her MS degree from SUNY Stony Brook in Human Resource Management, and has obtained both the SPHR and SHRM-SCP designation. She currently co-chairs the Professional Development Committee of the Long Island SHRM Chapter. She has been a facilitator for the SHRM CP-SCP Study Group for the LI SHRM Chapter’s Certification Committee.
Saturday classes in Old Westbury will be taught by Deirdre Duke. Deirdre Duke, RN, M.S.N, JD, L.L.M. is currently employed as the Corporate Director of HR Programs for the North Shore-LIJ Health System. She has 18 years of healthcare HR experience in generalist, leadership and legal roles. After a successful nursing career, Deirdre earned law degrees from St. John's University and Touro School of Law, and practiced at two Long Island law firms prior to entering the Human Resources profession. She holds SPHR, CCP, CBP and coaching certifications.