F-1 Students:

Keep your passport valid at all times Consult your country’s consulate or embassy in the United States to renew your passport.

Report any address changes within 10 days to the OIE – We are required to provide this and other student data to the federal government electronically.

Report any name change – Any name change or change in spelling of your name must be documented and reported to the OIE immediately. It is very important that your records (passport, I-20, visa, and NYIT records) be consistent.

Be sure your I-20 does not expire – You must apply for an extension before your I-20 expires if you intend to stay at NYIT and cannot complete your program by the form expiration date. Requests for an extension may be submitted up to 60 days prior to the expiration date on the I-20 form. You will need to submit your academic adviser’s recommendation form as well as a new NYIT financial affidavit of support form.

Maintain a full course of study each semester – You are required to pursue and complete a full course of study each semester (fall and spring) until graduation or transfer to another U.S. school. Failure to do so will result in a violation of your F-1 status and a loss of F-1 benefits. You are not required to attend classes in the summer or during intersession but are welcome to do so. If you are not certain what constitutes a full time course load, contact OIE.

Distance learning classes (or on-line classes) – Only one on line course may be applied toward full-time enrollment.  For example:  an undergraduate student who must complete at least 12 credits per semester – 3 courses for 3 credits each, must be in the classroom and one can be taken on-line.  A graduate student who must complete at least 9 credits per semester – 2 course for 3 credits each, must be in the classroom and one can be taken on-line.

To be clear:  For F-1 students enrolled in classes for credit or classroom hours, no more than the equivalent of one class or three credits per session, term, semester, trimester, or quarter may be counted toward the full course of study requirement if the class is taken on-line.

Have your I-20 signed prior to leaving the United States for a temporary visit.

Notify OIE of any accompanying dependents – OIE will prepare an I-20 for any dependents of F-1 students who will enter the United States on an F-2 visa. You must provide additional financial affidavits of support. Remember: F-2 may not accept employment or be enrolled in full-time study.

You must depart the United States within 60 days of your I-20 expiration date or the completion of your academic program, whichever is earlier, or the completion of Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Reinstatement – If you violate the terms of your non-immigrant status, you may need to apply to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for reinstatement. OIE will assist you with this process. It is important to file for reinstatement as soon as possible after the violation.

Employment – F-1 students may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week when classes are in session.

Off-Campus Employment – In order to qualify for any off-campus employment, including Curricular Practical Training (CPT), OPT, or Economic Hardship, students must be in full-time status for one full academic year. Working off campus without permission from either OIE and/ or the Bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is not permitted and is a violation of your F-1 status. Check with OIE for more detailed information.


J-1 Students:

Keep your passport valid at all times – Consult your country’s consulate or embassy in the United States to renew your passport.

Form DS-2019 expires on the date noted in Part 3 of that form – Exchange visitors who complete the program are allowed a 30 day grace period to depart the United States. If you intend to request an extension to your J-1 status, the request should be submitted to OIE weeks in advance of the expiration date on your current DS-2019.

Program activity – You must be engaged in the program noted in Part 4 of the DS-2019.

Maintain a full course of study every semester – As students, you are required to be registered and complete a full course of study every semester. If you are not certain what constitutes a full-time course load, contact OIE.

Change of address – You must report any change of address to OIE within 10 days of the change of address.

Change of status – J-1 exchange visitors may be ineligible for a change of status within the United States, if they are subject to provision 212(e). However, if 212(e) does not apply, they may apply for a change of immigration status that will allow them to remain in the United States and participate in another immigration status under regulations for that category. To further discuss, contact OIE.

Departure – All J-1 exchange visitors should report their imminent departure to the responsible officers (RO) and alternate responsible officers (ARO) by completing a “Departure Record” available from OIE. This departure date must be recorded in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Remember, if you are finishing your program early, you may need to apply to the RO for the 15 day grace period in order to remain in the United States.

Dependents – Dependents must be issued separate DS-2019 forms for entry into the United States. They will need to enter in J-2 status and are subject to all provisions of the law governing the J-1 exchange visitor program, including insurance requirements, 212(e), and the need to report changes of address, etc. Dependents may be authorized for employment applying for the Employment Authorization Card (EAC) from Bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and will need to also apply for a Social Security card once they have the EAC in hand.

Employment – Exchange visitors may not work without specific written authorization from the RO in advance. You will need a letter of authorization from the RO/ARO and a Social Security card. J-1 students in matriculated programs are eligible for academic training relating to their field of study. This permission may be granted by the RO/ARO. Speak to your international student advisor for more detailed information. Students facing unforeseen economic hardship may be eligible for work authorization under special USCIS rules. Meet with the RO/ARO regarding economic hardship.

Extension of stay – Students requiring additional time to complete their original academic program objective should apply for an extension of stay weeks before the end date on the DS-2019.

Insurance requirement – All J-1 exchange visitors and their dependents must be covered by health insurance that includes coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.

Transfer – J-1 exchange visitors may transfer to another sponsor’s program if the new program is in keeping with the original program objective.

Travel – In order to return to the United States following travel outside the United States, you must have a valid visa stamp in your passport and a signature on your DS-2019.

For more detailed information, please consult the International Student Handbook.