News and Events

Jan 20 2015

NYIT Selected to Participate in Epicenter’s Pathways to Innovation Program

Jan 13 2015

NYIT Ranks Among 2015 U.S. News Best Online Programs

Dec 23 2014

Architecture and Medical Students Launch Global Competition for Healthy Designs

Dec 18 2014

BBC to Feature Home2(O) Project in News Segment

Dec 12 2014

NYIT Wins Grant to Develop STEM Programs

May 22 2015

Talk by Dr. Cheng and Dr. Du from the Auckland Bioengineering Institute

May 23 2015

Summer Session I Withdrawal Period

May 25 2015

Memorial Day Holiday

May 26 2015

Transfer Enrollment Day

May 27 2015

Transfer Enrollment Day

FAQs for Students in F-1 or J-1 Status

New York Institute of Technology

Office of International Education

Frequently Asked Questions for International Students Arriving to Campus

Your Arrival in New York
1.    When should I arrive to New York?

     You are allowed to enter the United States 30 days prior to the beginning of classes. The spring 2015 semester begins on January 20, 2015. You will need to arrive in time to attend mandatory orientation at the campus where you will be taking classes: January 14, 2015 in Old Westbury or January 15, 2015 in Manhattan.

2.    How do I arrange transportation from the airport to my residence?
     Super Shuttle (supershuttle.com): You can make a reservation and pay directly online. After you arrive at John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport and pick up your luggage, look for “Ground Transportation” signs, and then look for the transportation desk and a Super Shuttle representative (in a blue uniform)
     If you arrive at Newark International Airport (EWR) you can arrange for a shuttle ride at the Airport which will take you door to door to your destination. You can book online or call toll free 1.877.599.8200.

     A licensed NYC yellow taxicab: This is a faster but more expensive option (the current flat rate is $52 from JFK to Manhattan and approximately the same from JFK to Old Westbury). You may pay by cash or by credit card. After you get your luggage, follow the signs for taxis and make sure to choose a licensed yellow taxi.

3.     What do I do if I get detained at the port of entry?

·         If you find yourself detained at a U.S. point of entry during regular business hours (9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday), call NYIT’s Office of International Education at (Manhattan) or 1.516.686.7585 (Old Westbury) and ask to speak to an international student advisor. 

·         If you are in a situation and NYIT’s Office of International Education is not available, please call NYIT Security at 1.516.686.7789 (Old Westbury) or 1.646.273.7789 (Manhattan). A security officer will get in touch with an NYIT Office of International Education staff member, who will then contact you and try to resolve the problem.
4.    What is the weather like in New York?

     The climate in the New York area changes with the four seasons: see the chart below:

Average High Temp.
Average Low Temp.
Fall (September – November)
61° F (16° C)
44° F (7°C)
Winter (December – February)
38° F (°3 C)
25° F (-4° C)
Spring (March – May)
61° F (16°C)
44° F (7°C)
Summer (June – August)
89° F (29° C)
68° F 20°(C)
     FALL/WINTER: bring a heavy coat, warm sweaters, boots, mittens/hat, and heavy socks f
     lighter-weight attire and a light jacket
     For more information about temperatures, rainfall amounts, and weather, visit weather.com
5.    When can I move into the residence halls?

·         The date for international students to move into the residence halls is January 11, 2015 for the Manhattan campus and January 13, 2015 for the Old Westbury campus. Move in is from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
You should go to the residence hall you are assigned to. You will receive your room and building assignment by email prior to your arrival. If you have not received your room assignment prior to January 8, 2015please email reslife@nyit.edu for questions about Old Westbury housing and housingma@nyit.edu for questions about Manhattan housing

6.    When should I arrive on campus for orientation?
Please register for orientation here for the Old Westbury Campus
Please register for orientation here for the Manhattan Campus 

     Old Westbury students should arrive on January 14, 2015 at 9 a.m.
     Manhattan students should arrive on January 15, 2015 at 9 a.m. at the NYIT Auditorium on Broadway, located at 1871 Broadway in New York.
7.    When do I check in to the Office of International Education for SEVIS Document Reporting?

Sign up for SEVIS Document Reporting at the campus you are planning to attend for classes. You will need to bring your passport, Form I-20, I-94, address, and phone number.
8.    How do I contact people when I arrive? How can I get in touch with my parents to   let them know I’ve arrived safely? 
·         By phone:
o   Residential students will have Internet access and will be able use Skype and other Internet-based services using their own computers.
o   Riverside Hall, 350 West 88th Street
o   Anderson Hall at the Manhattan School of Music, 134 Claremont Avenue, near Broadway and 122nd Street 

·         NYIT-Old Westbury residence halls are located on the SUNY Old Westbury campus, which is a 15-20 minute bus ride from NYIT’s campus. NYIT provides shuttle buses that run throughout the day to and from the residence halls. Your resident advisors (RAs) will guide you on where to get the bus from the residence halls.
2.   How do the meal plans work?
     NYIT-Old Westbury students have ameal plan, which is required for those living in NYIT's housing at SUNY Old Westbury. It is a combination of an NYIT campus meal plan and a SUNY residential facility meal plan. The cost is $2,275 (U.S. dollars) per semester. 
     NYIT-Manhattan students at Anderson Hall/MSM have a declining balance meal plan. You will use your MSM ID to pay for meals, similar to a credit card. The amount on your card per semester is $1,250 (U.S. dollars). In addition, MSM residents will have $100 (U.S. dollars) per semester on their NYIT ID to use at the NYIT-Manhattan Metro Café and bookstore. 
     NYIT-Manhattan students at the Riverside and 20th Street residence halls have kitchens to cook in and also have $200 (U.S. dollars) per semester on their NYIT ID Cards to use at the NYIT-Manhattan Metro Café and bookstore.
3.  What do I need to bring with me?

·         Review a list of suggested items online.

·         You may also wish to contact your roommate (information is included in your room assignment) and discuss items each of you will bring and share.

·         Since you will need to provide your own bed linens, towels, and pillow (which take up considerable space in your luggage), you may wish to purchase these items upon your arrival. You can reserve extra-long bed sheets needed for on-campus housing online. NYIT staff will organize shopping trips to local stores to purchase the items and can offer you online shopping resources as well.
Welcome! Getting Started at NYIT.
1.    Who is my international student advisor? How do I contact him or her?

     If you are attending the Manhattan campus, your advisors are Mr. Robinson Despeignes and Mr. Christopher Olagunju. You may call them at or or email oie@nyit.edu.

     If you are attending the Old Westbury campus, your advisors are Ms. Barbara Multari and Ms. Karen Johnson. You may call them at 1.516.686.7585 or 1.516.686.7526 or email oie@nyit.edu.

2.    How do I register for classes?

·         You will register for classes after taking all the required placement exams and attending NYIT’s mandatory international student orientation. Find out if you need to take placement exams by reviewing placement exam information. When you arrive for orientation, you will meet with your academic advisor, who will help you select courses appropriate for your chosen degree program.
3.    Who is my academic advisor?
·         Each NYIT academic department has assigned advisors to assist new students. During international orientation, you will meet with your advisor and select your classes. Here is a list of advisors and schedules.

4.    How do I pay my bill?

·         For more personalized attention regarding your tuition and fees, please contact the Office of the Bursar at bursar@nyit.edu. Please include your student ID, semester you plan on attending, your student status, whether or not you will live in residence halls, and which campus you plan on attending.

·         You have several different options for paying your tuition and other fees:

o   by credit card after logging into NYIT Connect
o   online at Pay to Study (paytostudy.com)
       5.     How do I complete the Immunization Form?
·         Students must show proof of having had two vaccines against Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR), both given AFTER their first birthday, For example, if you were born on February 5, 1995, your first vaccine must have been given AFTER February 6, 1996.
·         If you do not have access to your medical records, you may submit a blood titer report showing immunity to all three diseases.
·         In addition, students must sign the portion of the form that acknowledges they are aware of Meningitis and either have had or decided not to have the Meningitis vaccine.

Visa Information
1.    As a student withF-1 or J-1 status, how many credit hours must I complete to maintain my full-time status?

     Undergraduate: 12 credits in the fall semester and 12 credits in the spring semester. This may include English language courses if required by NYIT. 

     Graduate: 9 credits in the fall semester and 9 credits in the spring semester. This may include English language courses if required by NYIT.
     English Language Institute only: If you are enrolled in the English Language Institute only (and not in any other academic classes), you must be enrolled for 18 hours per week of English language study for the semester.
2.    What must I do if I am unable to maintain full-time status?

·         If there is a legitimate reason (such as academic or medical) that you cannot maintain full-time status, contact your advisor at the NYIT Office of International Education. Email oie@nyit.edu or call (Manhattan) or 1.516.686.7526 (Old Westbury). 

3.    How can I have my family join me in the United States if I have an F-1 visa?

     Your spouse and/or children may be permitted to enter the U.S. on an F-2 visa, which they can obtain with a new I-20 issued for them. Proof of financial support for your dependent(s) is required before the request can be approved. 

4.    Can a spouse or child on a J-2 or F-2 visa work or study?

·         Spouses on J-2 visas may study in the U.S. Spouses on J-2 visas may apply for a work permit from the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) in order to be employed in the United States. The employment may not be for the purpose of financially supporting the J-1 spouse. The J-2 visa holder may begin employment only after receiving a work permit from USCIS.
·         There is no restriction on study for J-2 dependent children.

·         Under no circumstances can an F-2 dependent work on- or off-campus.

·         Spouses on F-2 visas may not take part in full-time study. They may take part in study that is a vocational or recreational in nature—to pursue a hobby or if the study is occasional, casual, or recreational. 
·         The F-2 child may only engage in full time study if the study is in an elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through twelfth grade).
5.    If I have an F-2 visa, how can I change it to F-1?

·      To change status from F-2 dependent to F-1 student, an application fee and supporting documents must be sent to the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS). You must apply for admission through the NYIT Office of International Admissions, and you will be issued an I-20 for change of status. One of NYIT’s international student advisors will assist you in filing a change-of-status request. Applicants for a change of status from F-2 to F-1 may not attend NYIT until their change of status is approved by USCIS.
Contact Us

New York »

Email Us | Map It

Old Westbury
Harry Schure Hall, Rm. 207
Email Us | Map It