Housing and Residential Life
NYIT, Old Westbury campus, seeks a Resident Director to assist the Director of Residence Life and Off-Campus Housing in creating and managing a comprehensive residence life program.
This position provides leadership through the supervising and training of paraprofessional and student staff, fostering a robust co-curricular education program and community building efforts, directing first year experience programming and overseeing community standards and judicial affairs education. The Resident Director is responsible for managing residential housing placement and room selection processes as well as coordinating off-campus housing processes and related student consumer education, In addition he/she will oversee the on-going development of special interest housing and living learning communities. As a member of the Department of Campus Life in the Division of Student Affairs the candidate will work closely with the Director of Resident Life and Off-Campus Housing in determining and accomplishing annual objectives as well as managing student services areas on the residential campus.
• Coordinate housing and residential services for students and actively work to develop an innovative, robust, and “growth-based” residential services program that supports students to develop personally and intellectually
• Supervise paraprofessional undergraduate and graduate student staff. Manage all assigned personnel functions including staff selection, performance review and evaluation, and training and development.
• Educate the residential community about community standards and values through programs that enable students to understand their role and responsibilities within a residential community.
• Coordinate the judicial process for residential students in compliance with the Student Code of Conduct. Ensure that the Student Code of Conduct and Residential Community Living Standards are understood and upheld.
• Manage the educational and accountability process to address violations of the community guidelines outlined in both documents.
• Provide innovative development for all aspects of the residential program including associated housing operations, room assignments, and residential community building programming, including the on-going development of first year programming, special interest housing, and living-learning communities
• Actively network and develop cooperative, collaborative and enriching professional relationships with colleagues within NYIT as well as with leasing agents
• Live on campus and participate in the “on-call” emergency response/crisis management system.
• Assist in evaluating, preparing, and managing the operating and housing budgets for the Office of Residence Life and Off-Campus Housing. Assist the Director in setting annual room rates, revenue projections, and other related budgetary functions.
• Serve on appropriate college-wide, division and campus committees and work groups, and assume other responsibilities as directed by the Director, the Dean of Campus Life, and the Vice President of Student Affairs.
Master’s degree strongly preferred in college student personnel, social work, counseling, or a related field. Understanding of the residential community in a college setting. Proven record in developing residential and student services related programs and services. Ability to articulate the role of a residential community to student shareholders. The successful candidate will possess excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills; have an understanding of organizational dynamics; and demonstrated success in leading and working within a team. The ability to multi-task, work independently, and to travel to various locations, often on short notice, is necessary. Knowledge of social media outreach and development, assessment practices within residential and student life, and the design and use of web based technology programs are preferred. Evening and weekend work as necessary.
We offer a competitive benefits package. including tuition remission, along with a professional environment designed to enhance your career development. For details concerning this outstanding opportunity, please visit http://www.nyit.edu
and reference RA # 1467 on the subject line.
Email this position to a friend.