Feb 24 2014
Turkish Film Screening One of Turkey's most popular films, My Father and My Son, will be shown on Friday, Feb. 28 at the NYIT Auditorium on Broadway in Manhattan. The free event starts at 6:30 p.m. with a reception featuring Turkish hors d'oeuvres, followed by the film screening and a Q&A discussion.
Faculty/Staff Basketball Appreciation Nights Show your NYIT spirit when the Bears host the Knights of Queens College on Tuesday, Feb. 25 (women's team) and Wednesday, Feb. 26 (men's team), 6 p.m., Recreation Hall, NYIT-Old Westbury. Admission is free for NYIT faculty, staff, and students.
TEDxNYIT Salon Unconventional leadership is the topic of NYIT's next TEDx event on Wednesday, Feb. 26, 5-6:30 p.m. at 16 W. 61st St., 11th Floor Auditorium, NYIT-Manhattan. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Breaking the Ceiling: Defying Gravity Join NYIT and the New York State ACE Women's Network for an evening that celebrates the careers of female leaders on Saturday, March 1, 5:30 p.m. at NYIT de Seversky Mansion, Old Westbury campus. Event includes a networking reception, dinner, and panel discussion moderated by N.J. Burkett of WABC-TV's Eyewitness News Team. Discounted cost is $95 for members of the NYIT community. An NYIT faculty member and student will be honored. To reserve your seat, email email@example.com.
NYIT Health Lecture Attend the next Provocative Perspectives on Health lecture on Wednesday, March 5, 4 p.m. at Riland Auditorium, NYIT-Old Westbury. Otis Webb Brawley, M.D., chief medical and scientific officer and executive vice president of the American Cancer Society, will discuss his book, How We Do Harm: A Doctor Breaks Ranks About Being Sick in America. R.S.V.P. for the lecture.
SHE-E-O: A Woman's Guide to Life After College Mark your calendar for a panel presentation and networking opportunities on Thursday, March 6, 6-8 p.m. at NYIT Auditorium on Broadway. The event is inspired by Sheryl Sandberg's best-selling book and movement Lean In. Learn from successful women in human resources, law, marketing/branding, sustainability and higher education, who will share their insights on negotiating your next salary, telling your story, and how to build strong networking relationships. Light refreshments will be served. R.S.V.P. by Monday, March 3 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nursing Colloquium Attend the ninth nursing colloquium on Thursday, March 13, 9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. in Riland Auditorium, NYIT-Old Westbury. Event topic is "A Global Look at Infectious Disease and Nutrition Across the Lifespan." For information, email email@example.com.
NYIT Center for Teaching and Learning Events A new learning community, mini-retreats for scholarly writing, and workshops are some of the center's upcoming events for faculty members. Read on for more information:
Mini-Retreats for Scholarly Writing: Are you working on a publication, book proposal, grant, or exhibition catalog? Jumpstart your scholarship with colleagues for one or more Fridays of intensive writing. Details include:
- Dates: March 7, April 4, May 2
- Times: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Location: 16 W. 61st St., room 822, NYIT-Manhattan
- You provide: your laptop, notes, and other necessary materials
- We provide: quiet workspace, coffee and light refreshments throughout the day, lunch, and moral support
Come for all or part of the day. R.S.V.P. for a retreat.
Workshops: Tenure-track faculty member should save the date for the following workshops:
- Planning for Tenure and Promotion: Institutional Expectations: Tuesday, March 11, 12:30-1:50 p.m., Harry Schure Hall, room 227 (DL 5), NYIT-Old Westbury, and Edward Guiliano Global Center, room 702, NYIT-Manhattan. Learn about institutional requirements for reappointment, tenure and promotion, and how to link what you do to NYIT’s mission and strategic goals. R.S.V.P. for the workshop.
- Planning for Tenure and Promotion: Getting Everything Done: Tuesday, April 1, 12:30-1:50 p.m., Harry Schure Hall, room 227 (DL 4), NYIT-Old Westbury, and Edward Guiliano Global Center, room 708, NYIT-Manhattan. What is your professional identity? Make sure the time and effort you expend align with your priorities. Discuss ways to be selective about your commitments and learn tips for portfolio organization. R.S.V.P. for the workshop.
Spring 2014 Dining Schedule Stop by NYIT eateries to experience new daily features, including:
- Lunch action stations at Riland Café and Student Activity Center (SAC) Café.
- Monday breakfast station and Wednesday taco salad bowl station at SAC Café.
- Tuesday and Thursday live action station at Riland Café as well as a new soup and half sandwich station.