Feb 04 2014
Relay for Life 2014 Kickoff Meeting Find out how you can support Relay for Life of NYIT on Tuesday, Feb. 11, 12:30-1:50 p.m. in the Bears Den, Student Activity Center, NYIT-Old Westbury. For more information, email email@example.com.
Play 4Kay Breast Cancer Awareness Basketball Games Cheer on the Bears vs. Purple Knights on Saturday, Feb. 15 at 1 p.m. (men's team) and 3 p.m. (women's team), Recreation Hall, NYIT-Old Westbury. Admission is free for NYIT faculty, staff, and students. Donations benefit the Kay Yow Breast Cancer Foundation.
College of Arts and Sciences Colloquium Attend the presentation, "Eastern Eyes for Western Goods, Western Eyes for Eastern Markets: Turkey, the EU, and Western Demands," on Thursday, Feb. 20, 12:30-2 p.m. at 16 W. 61st St., 11th Floor Auditorium, NYIT-Manhattan. Annessa Ann Babic, Ph.D., adjunct instructor of interdisciplinary studies, will lead the discussion. Refreshments will be served.
Digital Leadership Event Learn strategies to navigate and leverage social media and technology to best communicate, educate, and lead in today's noisy world on Friday, Feb. 21, 10 a.m. at NYIT Auditorium on Broadway, Manhattan campus. Guest speaker is higher education veteran Tony Doody. The event hosted by the Office of Student Affairs is free for NYIT staff, faculty, and students. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. R.S.V.P. for the event.
Cross-Disciplinary Faculty Networking Sessions Share ideas and learn about the latest research by your colleagues from 3:30 to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 25 in Manhattan (16 W. 61st St., 11th Floor Auditorium) or Thursday, April 10 in Old Westbury (NYIT de Seversky Mansion, Garden Room). R.S.V.P. for a session.
Faculty/Staff Basketball Appreciation Nights Show your NYIT spirit when the Bears host the Knights of Queens College on Tuesday, Feb. 25 (women's team) and Wednesday, Feb. 26 (men's team), 6 p.m., Recreation Hall, NYIT-Old Westbury. Admission is free for NYIT faculty, staff, and students.
TEDxNYIT Salon Unconventional leadership is the topic of NYIT's next TEDx event on Wednesday, Feb. 26, 5-6:30 p.m. at 16 W. 61st St., 11th Floor Auditorium, NYIT-Manhattan. For more information, email email@example.com.
Breaking the Ceiling: Defying Gravity Join NYIT and the New York State ACE Women's Network for an evening that celebrates the careers of female leaders on Saturday, March 1, 5:30 p.m. at NYIT de Seversky Mansion, Old Westbury campus. Event includes a networking reception, dinner, and panel discussion moderated by N.J. Burkett of WABC-TV's Eyewitness News Team. Discounted cost is $95 for members of the NYIT community. An NYIT faculty member and student will be honored. To reserve your seat, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health Lecture Attend the next Provocative Perspectives on Health lecture on Wednesday, March 5, 4 p.m. at Riland Auditorium, NYIT-Old Westbury. Otis Webb Brawley, M.D., will discuss his book, How We Do Harm: A Doctor Breaks Ranks About Being Sick in America. Brawley is chief medical and scientific officer and executive vice president of the American Cancer Society as well as a 2013 NYIT honorary degree recipient. R.S.V.P. for the event.
NYIT Center for Teaching and Learning Events A new learning community, mini-retreats for scholarly writing, and workshops are some of the center's upcoming events for faculty members. Read on for more information:
Mini-Retreats for Scholarly Writing: Are you working on a publication, book proposal, grant, or exhibition catalog? Jumpstart your scholarship with colleagues for one or more Fridays of intensive writing. Details include:
- Dates: March 7, April 4, May 2
- Times: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Location: 16 W. 61st St., room 822, NYIT-Manhattan
- You provide: your laptop, notes, and other necessary materials
- We provide: quiet workspace, coffee and light refreshments throughout the day, lunch, and moral support
Come for all or part of the day. R.S.V.P. for a retreat.
Workshops: Tenure-track faculty member should save the date for the following workshops:
- Planning for Tenure and Promotion: Institutional Expectations: Tuesday, March 11, 12:30-1:50 p.m., Harry Schure Hall, room 227 (DL 5), NYIT-Old Westbury, and Edward Guiliano Global Center, room 702, NYIT-Manhattan. Learn about institutional requirements for reappointment, tenure and promotion, and how to link what you do to NYIT’s mission and strategic goals. R.S.V.P. for the workshop.
- Planning for Tenure and Promotion: Getting Everything Done: Tuesday, April 1, 12:30-1:50 p.m., Harry Schure Hall, room 227 (DL 4), NYIT-Old Westbury, and Edward Guiliano Global Center, room 708, NYIT-Manhattan. What is your professional identity? Make sure the time and effort you expend align with your priorities. Discuss ways to be selective about your commitments and learn tips for portfolio organization. R.S.V.P. for the workshop.
Spring 2014 Dining Schedule Stop by NYIT eateries to experience new daily features, including:
- Lunch action stations at Riland Café and Student Activity Center (SAC) Café.
- Monday breakfast station and Wednesday taco salad bowl station at SAC Café.
- Tuesday and Thursday live action station at Riland Café as well as a new soup and half sandwich station.