Nov 18 2013
There are plenty of ways to give back this holiday season at NYIT, including options to help people in need by donating food and clothing in time for Thanksgiving. They include:
YouGiveGoods: Anyone at any NYIT campus can participate in this online food drive through Saturday, Nov. 30. To date, NYIT has raised almost 700 pounds of food and more help is needed. You can purchase food online and YouGiveGoods will deliver it to a food bank and email you a tax receipt.
Old Westbury Campus
Island Harvest: Donate food through Thursday, Nov. 21.
- Locations: You'll find a cardboard Island Harvest box in Salten Hall, first floor near the cafeteria. There will be a gathering on the final day of the food drive with more opportunities to make donations, 12:45-2:10 p.m. in the Student Activity Center cafeteria.
- Items Needed: Canned goods, boxed cereal, baby food, dried food, and peanut butter.
Long Island Cares: Chi Sigma Iota, NYIT's School Counseling Honor Society, is sponsoring this food drive through Monday, Nov. 25.
- Locations: You'll find cardboard Long Island Cares boxes in the Student Activity Center, first floor by the cafeteria entrance, Harry Schure Hall, first floor outside the Student Solutions Center, and Wisser Library, third floor.
- Items Needed: Canned fruit, vegetables, soup, and/or meat as well as boxed items such as granola, pasta, rice, pancake or cake mixes, cookies, crackers, jello, and pudding.
HUGS: Join NYIT's student chapter of Hermandad de Sigma Iota Alpha in donating cold-weather apparel through November.
- Locations: You'll find yellow bins in Harry Schure Hall, first floor outside the Student Solutions Center, and in the Student Activity Center, first floor cafeteria.
- Items Needed: Hats, umbrellas, gloves, and scarves.
City Harvest: Join the Society of Hosteurs for a food drive through Monday, Nov. 25. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Location: You'll find a drop-off box at 26 W. 61st St., room 508.
- Items Needed: Canned and dried goods.
New York Cares: The NYIT Office of Residence Life and Off-Campus Housing is having a coat drive, Monday, Dec. 2 to Friday, Feb. 7.
- Locations: You'll find drop-off boxes at the Edward Guiliano Global Center, 1855 Broadway, lobby, Loeb Residence Hall, and Manhattan School of Music Residence Hall.