May 06 2013
Faculty and staff members participated in the April 23 induction ceremony of NYIT’s Zeta Lambda chapter of XAE, the Chi Alpha Epsilon National Honor Society. Pictured (left to right) are Richard Pizer, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org), professor of life sciences; Vanderie Vielie (email@example.com), counselor for NYIT's Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP); John Agnelli III (firstname.lastname@example.org), dean for campus life at NYIT-Manhattan; and Deepa Bhalla (email@example.com), director of HEOP. Read more.
NYIT de Seversky Mansion staff members hosted the 2nd Annual Pineapple 5K Classic on April 21 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The event raised more than $135,000, of which more than $6,600 was contributed by an NYIT team of students studying physician assistant (PA) studies and Kristine Prazak (firstname.lastname@example.org), assistant professor of PA studies. Read more.
Nada Marie Anid, Ph.D. (email@example.com), dean of the NYIT School of Engineering and Computing Sciences, and Marta Panero, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org), staff associate, participated in the American Society for Engineering Education Mid-Atlantic Spring 2013 Conference on April 26 in New York City. Anid led the workshop, "Engineering Education for a Sustainable Future," and Panero moderated a discussion on sustainability education during the workshop.
Danielle Apfelbaum (email@example.com), librarian I, hosted "Publish or Perish" on April 26, the 42nd Annual Continuing Education Conference of the Academic and Special Libraries Division (ASLD) of the Nassau County Library Association. Apfelbaum serves as ASLD president and co-organized the conference with the division's executive board, including Jillian Kehoe (firstname.lastname@example.org), librarian I, who serves as ASLD treasurer. The event provided programming on collaboration and mentoring in publishing and primers on publishing peer-reviewed articles and books on library and information sciences.
Babak D. Beheshti, Ph.D. (email@example.com), associate dean of the NYIT School of Engineering and Computing Sciences, presented the paper, "A New Scripting Language and Parser for System Goal Specification in I-TRM Based Wireless Sensor Networks," at the IEEE Long Island Systems, Applications, and Technology Conference (LISAT 2013) on May 3 in Farmingdale, N.Y.
Susana H. Case, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org), professor and coordinator for behavioral sciences at NYIT-Manhattan, published her poems in the latest issues of Slant and Mochila Review.
Eduard I. Dedkov, M.D., Ph.D. (email@example.com), assistant professor of biomedical sciences for NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, presented three research posters at the Experimental Biology 2013 Meeting, April 20-24 in Boston:
- "Continuous Reduction of Heart Rate by Ivabradine Cannot Prevent Deterioration of Cardiac Function in Middle-Aged Rats with a Large Myocardial Infarction" (abstract 528.5)
- "Chronic Ivabradine-Induced Heart Rate Reduction Does Not Modify Collagen Accumulation in Myocardial Infarction Scar of Middle-Aged Rats" (abstract 528.4)
- "The Dynamics of Neuropeptide Y Protein Expression in the Developing Mouse Heart" (abstract 529.6)
The abstracts have been published in the April 2013 issue of the Journal of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology.
Peter Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org), professor of accounting, published the paper, "Overview and Regulation of Hedge Funds," in the March/April 2013 edition of Corporate Finance Review. In addition, two of his papers are on the Social Science Research Network's Top 10 List of Papers (March 5-May 4) for the Journal of Accounting Educator.
Shiang-Kwei Wang, Ph.D. (email@example.com), associate professor of instructional technology, and Hui-Yin Hsu, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org), associate professor of teacher education, presented four papers at the 2013 American Educational Research Association Annual Conference, April 26-May 1 in San Francisco. They include:
- "The Impact of Professional Development on Middle School Science Teachers' Inquiry and New Literacies Practices"
- "Middle School Science Teachers' Confidence in Technology Integration (New Literacies) and their Classroom Practices"
- "Influence of Teachers' Self-Efficacy in Inquiry-Based Instruction and their Classroom Practices on Students' Learning Motivation"
- "Enhancing Scientific Inquiry and Practicing New Literacies Skills through ICTs: Testing the Classroom Practice Feasibility"