Live! Learn! Thrive with Us!
NYIT-Old Westbury Office of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing
Students who plan to take courses at the Old Westbury campus are encouraged and invited to live in the residence halls located just around the corner from the NYIT campus. A shuttle service is provided seven days a week to get you back and forth to campus.
There are five Residence Halls:
- King Hall and Anthony Hall are our First Year Experience (FYE) residence halls. New students are placed in these residence halls, and the resident assistants provide programs and activities geared toward college success for the new students.
- Roosevelt Hall is for upper-class students and features a small architectural studio space and houses the Sassy 6 Bear Community
- Bolivar Hall is for upper-class students as well as any students who may need housing during the winter intersession. Also, referred to as the International Student Hall and Athletic Hall
- Kennedy Hall is for upper-class students and hosts our Life Sciences Living Learning Community; you must be a life sciences major or graduate student to live in Kennedy. Kennedy Houses the Game On! Bear Community
Types of Housing- Suite Style Living
All accommodations are suite style. A typical suite has two single rooms, two double rooms, a shared bathroom and small common area. Some suites are 8 person, with all double rooms.
Residence Hall Staffing
All NYIT Residence Halls are supervised by full-time professionally trained Residential Life staff, Hall Directors, Resident Assistants and Community Development Assistants. Each building is staffed by a Hall Director, and a diverse staff of Resident Assistants and Community Development Assistants.
What's a Hall Director?
A Hall Director (HD) is a senior level staff member under the supervision of the Associate Director of Housing and Residential Life, who serves to assist in the daily operation and management of one residence hall and is expected to supervise the Resident Assistants and Community Development Assistants within their assigned building/community and assist in some departmental duties as assigned.
What's a Resident Assistant?
A Resident Assistant (RA) is a paraprofessional staff member of the Office of Housing and Residential Life that reports directly to Hall Director, indirectly to the Associate Director of Housing and Residential Life.
Primarily, the RA is concerned with the growth and development of each individual on their floor and the building community as a whole. Additionally, RAs are continually striving to enhance the quality of life for our residents through programming on varies topics and building effective relationships with each resident through ongoing positive interactions.
What's a Community Development Assistant?
A Community Development Assistant (CDA) is a paraprofessional staff that provide support mainly in areas of assisting with monitoring facilities workers, clerical assistance, safety operations and management, and major in particular parts of ORL including: Community Development Assistant for Office Campus-Housing, Community Development Assistant for Mosaic Mentors; Community Development Assistant for Leadership and LLC.
The Office of Residence Life & Off- Campus Housing has a Lot of Fun & Interactive Events! Please Talk With Your RA to Find Out!
Room Placement for 2013-2014 In Process!
As our academic year has come to a conclusion, the time has come to begin focusing on next year’s housing assignments. As a current student residing on the SUNY Old Westbury campus within the NYIT Residential complex, you were allowed to participate in the initial room lottery selection process for the 2013 - 2014 academic year. Download the Residence Lottery Selection Handbook for instructions.
Didn't sign up yet? Don't worry fill out you application now. Go to: http://www.nyit.edu/campus_old_westbury/residence_halls/application/
Want to live with friends, create memories, and be passionate about something? Create your own Bear Community for 2013-2014.
Placement Letter will go out Mid-June for Returners and First Year Students Early August
Fall 2013 Residence Life Move-In Information
- New International Students Move- In Only - Monday, August 26 (International students must be registered and must contact the Office of International Education)
- New Student Residential Student Orientation - Friday, August 30- Sign Up Today! http://nyit.edu/campus_life/orientation/
- All New Students Move- In - Saturday, August 31
- All Returning Students - Sunday, September 1
- Labor Day- Monday, September 2nd- Offices Closed
Have questions? Feel free to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 516.686.1402.
Housing & Residential Life Staff
contact us at email@example.com