Frequently Asked Questions: Old Westbury

Where are the Residence Halls located?

The residence halls are located on the SUNY Old Westbury campus.

I'd like to visit the different residence halls before I decide. Can I do that?

To tour the residence halls, contact NYIT Admissions at 1.800.345.NYIT or

If I'm interested in living in the residence halls, what must I first do?

Download an application, or come to the Office of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing, read the application, complete accordingly, submit with $315 non-refundable deposit.

How much does it cost to live in the residence halls?

Current room and board rates can be found at Admissions.

What does the meal plan consist of?

Current plans and rates can be found at Admissions.

Are there plenty of places for the students to eat?

NYIT: Student Activity Center (SAC); Riland Café; Education Hall; Salten Hall

SUNY: Dining Hall and Atrium Cafe in Campus Center; Nathan's and Boar's Head Sandwich Shop in the Student Union; Dunkin' Donuts in the new Academic Building.

Can I have a car on campus? Is there parking?

You may have a car as long as you have a parking decal and have registered your car with NYIT and University Police. Resident parking is located in the Academic Village Parking Lot.

How are the students able to commute between campuses?

Inter-campus shuttles run every half hour from the SUNY Residence Halls to the NYIT Old Westbury campus and back to SUNY.

How are the students able to commute between buildings (i.e. Ed Hall to Academic Quad)?

Intra-campus shuttles run every 15 minutes taking students from the bus stop at the entrance of the campus to Education Hall.

Is there transportation to the areas surrounding the SUNY Old Westbury Campus?

Yes. Shuttle bus services makes stops at Waldbaums, Broadway Mall, Hicksville Train Station (LIRR), Sears and CVS. The N20 MTA Bus stops at the entrance to SUNY and runs stops between Hicksville Train Station and Flushing, Queens.

Are there things to do on weekends?

Of Course! Saturday Programs, Extensive RA Programming, Join the Residence Hall Council, Committees…

Is there security on campus?

Campus security is provided by New York State University Police.

Does NYIT offer assistance with locating off-campus housing?

Not at this time. If you're a first-year student or transferring to NYIT, we recommend that you live in one of the college's residence halls, so that you'll be able to adjust to life at NYIT in the most supportive atmosphere. If you've been attending NYIT already, are a graduate student or an international student who prefers not to live in the residences, you will have to make your own arrangements for housing. Local newspapers or real estate agencies are the best place to start.

How big are the rooms?

Each room is unique in size and set up. In general, the single rooms are approximately 10 feet by 9 feet and doubles are 18 feet 2 inches by 10 feet. If you live in a bridge room, the dimensions are 16 feet 4 inches by 12 feet.

Does NYIT offer health insurance?

Information and requirements for health insurance can be found at Counseling & Wellness Services.

Contact Us
Questions about residence life? Please ask!

Manhattan Campus
Email us at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
or call 212.261.1737

Old Westbury Campus
Email us at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
or call 516.686.1402

All staff