Old Westbury Campus:
Midge Karr Fine Arts Center
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000
New Technology Building
16 W 61st St.
9th Floor, Room 912
New York, NY 10023
- MFA Rhode Island School of Design
- BA Duke University
Areas of Scholarly and Artistic Interest
In addition to traditional media such as sculpture, painting, and drawing, Professor Yuko Oda’s exploration has naturally evolved digitally using 3D animation, video, and interactive media.
Professor Oda has been researching 3D animation and modeling for the last five years, and her current intrigue lies in the way this medium informs her sculptural installations, and vice versa. This interesting relationship between her animation and sculpture can be seen in her current work. Her current research also includes creating interactive explosions using 3D visualization techniques and illustrating them with pen and paper.
Professor Oda received her BA with a distinction in Studio Art and Philosophy from Duke University, NC in 1997. She also lived in Spain, and attended the Universidad de Seville for Spanish language and art studies. She returned to Tokyo, Japan, where she exhibited artwork in numerous group and solo shows. Oda received her MFA from Rhode Island School of Design in 2002. She was a resident at the School of Visual Arts in 1999, and a resident at the Vermont Studio Center in 2008.
Her work was a finalist for the animation competition Artport: The World Affected By Global Warming, and her animation has been exhibited in numerous international art fairs including Art Supermarket (Stockholm), Art Basel Miami Beach, Bridge Art Fair (New York), and the Diva Art Fair (Paris). Her recent exhibitions include E-forms at the Beijing Today Art Museum, Shift: Remix at Gallery Aferro (New Jersey), Volume at 3RD WARD (New York), and Stranger than Fiction at Artist Network Gallery (New York)., "Space Integration" at Stay Gold Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, and an installation in the Rhode Island School of Design Museum, Providence, RI.
She is a recipient of Artist Grant from Vermont Studio Center in 2008, the ISRC grant at NYIT in 2008, the National Undergraduate Research Grant for professors in 2003 and the Professional Council Grant for research in 2004 from Albright College, Reading, PA.
Professor Oda is trained and certified by Autodesk in 3D Character Rigging and Animation. During 2002-2006, she taught as an Assistant Professor in the Digital Media Department at Albright College in Reading, PA, where she specialized in 3D animation and interactive media.
Professor Oda is serving as Art Gallery Chair for the SIGGRAPH Asia 2009 Conference for Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques taking place in Yokohama, Japan.
- Artists in Residence Show, "Fruitcake and Casserole", Staygold Gallery, Brooklyn, NY 2006
- "Stranger Than Fiction" Artist Network Gallery, NY, NY 2006
- "Color Correction" Lab Gallery, NY, NY 2006
- "!@#$%" Artist Network Gallery, NY, NY 2006
- "Broad Perspectives: Faculty Exhibition" Albright Cultural
- Center, Reading, PA 2005
- Animation Screening"Art Addicts" Scope Art Fair, NY, NY 2004
- "Beetle" Market House Graduate Gallery,Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI 2002
- "Voila!" The Alice Art Space, Providence, RI 2002
- "Graduate Student Thesis Exhibition", Rhode Island of School Museum, Providence, RI 2002
- "Graduate Biennial" Woods Gerry Gallery, Providence, RI 2001
- "Organic Space", Room Space, Tokyo, Japan 2000
- 2006 Review, "!@#$%" Selected Group Show at The:Artist:Network By Mary Hrbacek, The New York Art World.com, September, 2006
- 2005 June 15, Rojo (Spanish Contemporary Art Magazine) Barcelona, Spain
- 2004 "Survivor Creates Game to Help Cancer Patients" May 15, Reading Eagle, Reading, PA
- 2003 " More than Just Fun and Games" The Reporter, Reading, PA
- 2002 "Are Bunnies Art?" Providence Journal, Providence, RI
- 2001 "Fine Arts in America" Bijutsu Techo, (Japanese contemporary art magazine), Bijutsu Shuppansah Press, Tokyo
- 2000 "Roomspace" Daily Yomiuri, Yomiuri Shimbun Press, Tokyo
Selected Invited Public Lectures
- 2005 Visiting Artist Lecture: Pennsylvania State University
- 2003 Digital Media 2-Day Seminar and Lecture,
- Lafayette University, Easton, PA
Recommended web sites
- area.autodesk.com/: 3D Animation tutorials, examples, downloads
- www.thenewyorkartworld.com: NY Gallery and Museum listings and reviews
- Art In America, Brant Publications: New York
- Obalil, Deborah, Artists Communities: A Directory of Residencies that Offer Time and Space for Creativity. New York: Allworth Press, 2005.