New Technology Building
16 W 61st Street, Room 917
New York, NY 10023
- MS Pratt Institute
- BA University of Athens
Areas of Scholarly and Artistic Interest
- Information Architecture and Usability
- Logos and Corporate Identity
- Editorial Design and Typography
- Children's Illustration
Professor Vavetsi grew up in Greece and attended the University of Athens where she majored in Education. After college, she taught at several schools in Athens. In 1999, she moved to New York City and in 2001 earned her MS in Communication Design at Pratt Institute. She joined the faculty at NYIT in 2002.
Professor Vavetsi is passionate about design and typography in all applications. She loves the challenge in every design project and strives to find conceptual solutions that go beyond the pure aesthetics.
In the area of design education, she is interested in curriculum development as well as the quantitative and qualitative measures of design success. She is enjoying the study of information architecture and theory, usability and data visualization. She also likes spicing her classes with heavy doses of real-world case studies.
New York Institute of Technology, Gallery 61 (www.nyit.edu/gallery_61/)
- “The Journey”, poster. May 2009
- “A Tale of Two Cities”, poster. April 2008
- “Beauty from Within”, poster. February 2007
- La Triennale Gallery, Milan. “Brutal Appetite”, winning poster. June 2008 (www.good50x70.org/2009/2008-edition/hunting/)
- Gallery of Ithaca, Ithaca, Greece. “Life is a play”, finalist poster. July 2007 (www.tenimages.org/winners.php?aa=2)
- Gargo Club, London, UK. “Yellow Press”, winning poster. May 2007
- Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, Nevada. “Possibilities”, winning poster. May 2006 (www.adobe.com/special/how2006/winners.html)
- Times Square, NY. “Urban Forest Project”, finalist poster. August 2006 (www.ufp-nyc.com/banners/14)
Presented Papers, Lectures, and Publications
- Creative Quarterly, The Journal of Art and Design. Had her digital illustration “Evolution” featured in the summer issue. Summer 2009.
- Siggraph Asia. Reviewed 25 2-D designs to be included at Siggraph 2009 Art Gallery. Responsibilities included looking at artists’ submissions, making comments and giving scores. June-July 2009.
- New York Institute of Technology, NY, NY. “Designers Without Borders”, panel discussion. Co-organized and moderated a panel discussion about design in a globalized world. May 2009.
- National UCDA Design Education Summit. Mobile, Alabama. “New Curricula for New Times”, lecture. Presented the need of re-adjusting the design curricula in order to meet the demands of the new times. May 2009 (www.ucda.com/educonf_schedule_09.lasso)
- Eastern Suffolk BOCES (Board of Cooperative Educational Services “The Art and Science of Visual Communications”, lecture. Presented the importance of design that “makes sense” vs. design for pure esthetic purposes. December 2008 (www.esboces.org)
- Department of Greek Education. “Greek-American Curriculum for the Kindergarten.” Designed and Co-authored a curriculum on Greek as a second language. (2003-2007)
Recommended web sites
- blogs.nyit.edu/fablog: NYIT Fine Arts Blog
- www.aiga.org: American Institute of Graphic Artists
- www.core77.com: Core77 Design Magazine and Resource
- www.useit.com: UseIt Information Design and Usability
- www.boxesandarrows.com: Boxes and Arrows