New Technology Building
16 W 61st Street
New York, NY 10023
- MA New York Institute of Technology
- BA St. John's University (Minnesota)
Areas of Scholarly and Artistic Interest
Rodney has worked with diverse media such as bronze and ceramic sculpture, stained glass, batik painting. watercolor and egg tempera, photography and digital art, particularly 3-dimensional modeling and animation. He recently began using his experience in commercial animation to produce animated poems and visual ballets, created entirely on the computer. Rodney is working with clay again after a 17 year hiatus. He is compiling a Bestiaire (an animal menagerie) of African beasts. The first abstract sculptures in this series were salt-fired in a woodburning kiln in Peter's Valley, New Jersey.
Rodney is currently photographing and formatting a digital archive of 1940's war cartoons with author and cartoonist Hilda Terry D'Alessio. Rodney is also compiling a series of videotaped interviews on Mrs. D'Alessio's life with her husband, artist Gregory d'Alessio, and their individual careers in art.
In his free time, Rodney paints with egg tempera and watercolor.
Rodney earned his MA in Communication Arts at NYIT in 1997 and has been teaching art and computer animation there since 1997. He works as a freelance animator in New York City and spends most of his spare time drawing, painting and working with clay.
- "A Call for Peace," Fire Patrol No. 5 Gallery, New York, New York, 2001 (group show, computer animation)
- "Bisections," The Crafts Center at the Fashion Institute of Technology, New York, New York, 1986 (solo exhibition, abstract ceramic sculpture)
- "Antibiotics: no cure for the common cold" [Videotape] with Creative Media Concepts, Inc. (Producer) (1999). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Atlanta, Georgia
- "Improving instruction and staff development by building K-12/university partnerships" co-authored with Brian Monahan, PhD, Computer Graphics Annual Conference Series, 1998. New York, New York: ACM SIGGRAPH, S. Grissom, Editor
- "The hidden enemy" with Outer Circle, Inc. (Producer) (1998). [Interactive CD-ROM]. New York, New York: Bayer Corporation (Producer & Distributor). Created 3D graphics and animation for training CD-ROM.