Old Westbury Campus:
Midge Karr Fine Arts Center
Old Westbury, NY 11568
New Technology Building
16 W 61st Street
New York, NY 10023
- MFA University of Hawaii at Manoa
- MA San Jose State University
- BA San Jose State University
Areas of Scholarly and Artistic Interest
Robert Michael Smith continues to develop concepts of digital sculpture primarily through bronze casting, 3D animation, Web projects, virtual reality, stereoscopic projection, rapid prototype sculptures, and CNC manufacture in various materials such as marble, and polyurethane coated foam to produce large-scale outdoor sculpture.
In his artist statement, Professor Smith writes: "Art is alchemy. Alchemy is the magic, observation, process and ritual of life. My sculptures, both virtual and actual, are conversations regarding the archetypal forms that are the basic structures of nature. I build alien abstract worlds that become familiar through frequent immersion. These worlds are constructed to open exploration to the deepest regions of the human psyche for development within the landscape of the imagination."
Professor Smith has been an active pioneer of digital sculpture, 3D visualization/animation, Web design, virtual sculptures for the Web, virtual actors for computer gaming, as well as a significant art and technology educator.
During 1997-2003 Smith was the founding Web Director of for The International Sculpture Center until being elected to the Board of Directors of the International Sculpture Center.
Smith is President Ereritus of the Sculptors Guild, founding board member of the Digital Stone Project, as well as a member of the Washington Sculptors Group, Philadelphia Sculptors, and Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI).
During 1999-2003 Smith was a board member for the Manhattan chapter of SIGGRAPH.
Smith previously taught at Pratt Institute, School of Visual Arts, The New School for Social Research, Parsons School of Art & Design, University of the Arts at Philadelphia, The Sculpture Center NYC, University of North Dakota, University of Hawaii at Manoa, and San Jose State University.
Smith has lectured on his sculpture and digital work at several major international conferences, published articles regarding digital sculpture and exhibited his art worldwide.
- “Digital Stone Exhibition”, sponsored by Autodesk, featured artists: Bruce Beasley, Jon Isherwood, Robert Michael Smith and Kenneth Snelson, at Beijing Today Art Museum; Shanghai Duolun Museum of Modern Art; Jinse Gallery, Chongqing; and Art Map Gallery, Wenzhou, China 2008-2009 (http://digital-stone.net/)
- “IN-SITE”, Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition, Governors Island, New York, NY 2008
- "Art Cologne", Koln, Germany 2007
- “Digital Stone Exhibition” video documentary, directed by Joanne Cheng, sponsored by Autodesk, Inc. 2008
- "Alien Beauty / A Universal Form", solo exhibition, Foresight Art Center, Amman, Jordan 2006
- Westchester County Courthouse Sculpture Exhibition, White Plains, NY 2006
- “Archival to Contemporary: Six Decades of the Sculptors Guild”, curated by Jerelyn Hanrahan,
- Hillwood Art Museum, C.W. Post Campus, Long Island University, Brookville, NY 2006
- "International Rapid Prototyping Sculpture Exhibition" Robert Fullerton Art Museum at California State University, Fullerton, Callifornia, 2005
- "The International Rapid Prototyping Sculpture Exhibition" Zoller Gallery, Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pennsylvania, 2005
- Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2005
- "Sculpture on the Plaza", Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition, White Plains Public Library, New York, 2004 - 2005
- "International Rapid Prototyping Sculpture Exhibition", Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois, 2004
- "Digital and Beyond", Rockland Center for the Arts, Nyack, New York, 2004
- "International Rapid Prototyping Sculpture Exhibition", University of Houston at Clearlake, Texas, 2004
- Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2004
- Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2003
- “International Rapid Prototyping Sculpture Exhibition”, Southwestern University, Georgetown, Texas, 2003
- "Telesculpture2003," Exploratorium, San Franc isco, California, 2003
- "Intersculpt2003," Paris, France; Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester, England,
- “Robert Michael Smith and Fellow Travellers”, The Rourke Museum, Moorhead, Minnesota, 2001 - 2004
- InterSculpt2001, New York, NY; Paris, France; Manchester, England; Aukland, New Zealand, Brisbane, Australia; Hong Kong, China; Dayton OH; Tempe, Arizona; New Orleans, Louisiana, 2001 Mellon Park, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 2001 “The New York Digital Salon: Selected Works”, The Corning Gallery at Steuben, New York, New York, 2001 "New York Digital Salon," Visual Arts Museum, New York, New York ( traveled to Spain and Italy), 2000
- "InterSculpt99", Paris, France; Manchester, England; Hong Kong, China; Cleveland, OH; Tempe, New Mexico, 1999 "Digital Spectrum", Spectra Digital Arts Gallery, New York, New York, 1999 "SCAN Exhibition," Silicon Gallery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1998
- “Intersculpt”, Silicon Gallery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Gallerie Graphe, Paris, France, Sculpture Center, New York, New York, 1997
- Catalog, “Digital Stone Exhibition: The Intersection of Art and Technology”, sponsored by Autodesk, Inc. 2008
- “Art of the Digital Age”, by Bruce Wands, published by Thames & Hudson 2006
- “Loving the Alien”, by Nicholas Seeley, Photos by Eyad Obeid, JO Magazine, July 2006
- “Alien Beauty”, by Ica Wahbeh, Frame I Beyond the Image I Passion, The Jordanian Times Weekender,
- Thursday, review of solo exhibition at Foresight Art Center, Amman, Jordan June 22, 2006
- Catalogue, "Alien Beauty / A Universal Form", solo exhibition, Foresight Art Center, Amman, Jordan
- Introduction “Digital Nature” by William Ganis 2006
- Art Review, “Archival to Contemporary: Six Decades of the Sculptors Guild”, by Helen A. Harrison,
- The New York Times, Arts & Entertainment, Sunday, March 19, 2006
- Catalogue, “Archival to Contemporary: Six Decades of the Sculptors Guild”, curated by Jerelyn Hanrahan,
- Hillwood Art Museum, C.W. Post Campus, Long Island University, Brookville, NY 2006
- “The Digital Stone Project”, by William V. Ganis, “Sculpture” magazine, September 2005
- Ganis, William V. "Escultura Digital: Un Salto Virtual Hacia lo Real" Translated by Marta Caro.
- In Arte Digital Y Videoarte: Transgrediendo los Límites de la Representación. Edited by Donald Kuspit. Madrid, Círculo de Bellas Artes 2005
- “Digital Sculpture: The Move to Digital Stone and Outsourcing to China”, by Robert Michael Smith
- Also included in “Complexities and Contradictions in Digital Sculpture”, by William Ganis. Catalogue, 3rd International Symposium of Interactive Media Design, Yeditepte University, Istanbul, Turkey 2005
- "Temel Tasarim" (Turkish language Basic Design textbook), by Prof. Dr. Latife Gurer and Gul Gurer, 2004
- "Ars Ex Machina: Digital Sculpture", by William Ganis, "Sculpture" magazine, September, 2004
- Catalogue, "Sculptors Guild at White Plains Library Plaza", White Plains, New York, 2004
- "International Impact of Digital Sculpture", lectures, workshops and exhibition at 2nd International Symposium of Interactive Media Design, Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2004
- Catalogue, “International Rapid Prototyping Sculpture Exhibition”, The Sarofim School of Fine Arts, Southwestern University, Georgetown, Texas, 2003
- “PodGallery.com digital art”, Yellow Rat Bastard, Fall 2001
- Leonardo Special Issue, Vol. 33 #5 2000; Eighth Digital Salon Exhibition catalog; The MIT Press, 2000
- "Lieblinge der Industrie", by Bernd Hendricks, “Wirtschafts Woche”, November 2, 2000
- ISC Web Special: "Fluid Borders: The Aesthetic Evolution of Digital Sculpture", by Christiane Paul, 2000 Web Special videotaped interview with Kenneth Snelson, moderated by Christiane Paule and Robert Michael Smith, 1999 ISC Web Special: “La Sculpture Numerique: A Brief History of Digital Sculpture”, English translation of “La Sculpture Numerique”, by Christian Lavigne, “Computer Arts”, Sept. 1998
- “Virtual Armatures”, “Sculpture” magazine, July/August issue
- Authored article, "VRML: 3-D Internet Imaging", "Sculpture" magazine, May/June issue, 1995 3D Digital Artist, "Millennium Auction Project", ARTnews, February, 1995
- “e-Form”, indoor exhibit of “Digital Stone Exhibition, Beijing Today Art Museum; Shanghai Duolun Museum of Modern Art; Jinse Gallery, Chongqing; and Art Map Gallery, Wenzhou, China 2008-2009
- “International Rapid Prototyping Sculpture Exhibition”, New York Institute of Technology, Old Westbury, New York; The Rourke Museum, Moorhead, MN; Southwestern University, Georgetown, Texas; Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
Recommended web sites
- http://www.sculpture.org/: International Sculpture Center
- http://www.wings3d.com/: Wings 3d Modeling Software
- Brian Greene, The Elegant Universe, W.W. Norton & Company, 2000.
- Carl G. Jung, Man and His Symbols, Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing, 1968.
- Ray Kurzweil, The Age of Spiritual Machines, Viking Penguin Group, 2000.