Health Professions
Search Ask NYIT:
Search within Health Professions
Do you offer a certificate in alcohol and substance abuse counseling (CASAC)?

NYIT offers the Certificate in Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counseling (CASAC), which provides the knowledge, skills, and dispositions needed to deliver prevention and intervention services, as certified professionals, to clients seeking assistance for alcohol or substance abuse. This post-baccalaureate program can be taken in conjunction with the mental health counseling or the school counseling master’s degree programs or it can be taken as a stand-alone program.

Persons who complete this 27-credit part-time certificate program are eligible to apply to the New York State Office of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) for a credential review leading to approval as a qualified service provider.  OASAS will specify the number of clinical supervision hours each candidate is required to complete before issuing the service provider certification.  In order to become certified as a CASAC by New York State you must:

  1. meet specific competency and ethical conduct requirements
  2. meet specific work experience requirements
  3. meet minimum education and training requirements
  4. pass the ICRC/AODA written examination for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Counselors
  5. pass the ICRC/AODA Case Presentation Method (CPM) oral examination. All the stated requirements are overseen and/or coordinated by OASAS

Visit the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services Web site for more information about credentialing requirements.

For information about NYIT’s CASAC program, contact Maria Gerard at or 516.686.3803.