Congratulations on your acceptance and welcome to NYIT! We look forward to seeing you on campus. Before you begin your undergraduate studies, please follow this quick list:
- Secure your spot: Complete the Enrollment Reply Form in your acceptance package as soon as possible-preferably before Dec. 1 for the spring semester and May 1 for the fall semester. The $400 nonrefundable deposit will secure your place.
- Decide if you will live at NYIT: Each NYIT campus offers residential facilities. To live on campus, you must complete a Residential Hall Application and submit a nonrefundable $315 deposit. Download application (PDF).
- Register for your Placement Exam if necessary. You are exempt from the English placement exam if you received transfer credit for FCWR 101, College Composition I. You are exempt from the math placement exam if you have credit for the first math course in your sequence or if your major requires only one three-credit math choice. We encourage you to sign up early for placement exams. This will give you the opportunity to create your ideal class schedule and sit for the exams while your knowledge of the subject material is still fresh. After completing your placement exam, you will meet with an advisor to register for classes and make plans for the upcoming semester. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Admissions at email@example.com or 516.686.7444.
- Meet with your academic advisor to register for classes, if you are exempt from English and math placement exams . To make an appointment with your advisor, view advisor schedules for contact information and available schedules of advisors in your major. Please contact the Advising and Enrichment Center at firstname.lastname@example.org if you cannot schedule an appointment with your advisor or if you have advisement and registration questions.
- Register for Orientation: All new transfer students are required to attend orientation during the summer. You will learn about campus life at our new student orientation sessions. Register for orientation at nyit.edu/orientation.
- Activate your NYITConnect account and email: Once you are admitted to NYIT, you can activate your username and create a password for your NYIT email and NYIT Connect account, which allows you to conduct academic and financial business with NYIT. Both are accessible through the MyNYIT student web portal. Your NYIT email is the main form of communication about academic and college-wide notices and/or changes. NYITConnect allows you to register for classes, and obtain grades and academic progress reports. It is possible to forward your NYIT email to your personal email account so you don't miss any important messages. For directions on how to log in to MyNYIT for the first time, please follow five simple steps.
- Immunizations: NY State requires that all students show proof of immunizations before attending classes. Please complete the Student Immunization Form (PDF) prior to registering for classes and fax or mail it to NYIT's Office of Wellness Services. For more information, please call 516.686.3705 or email@example.com.
- Submit your college transcript and AP scores: You must ensure that college transcripts and AP scores are submitted to the Office of Admissions. NYIT's College Board code is 2652. You can also send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 516.686.1116, or mail to Office of Admissions, New York Institute of Technology, Northern Boulevard, Old Westbury, NY 11568.
- Apply for financial aid: NYIT offers more than $37 million in scholarships and institutional aid each year. To be eligible for merit-based, state, or federal assistance, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Complete it online at fafsa.gov. NYIT's FAFSA school code is 002782. NYIT's state TAP code is 2120.
- Visit NYIT: The Office of Admissions offers tours of campus and residential facilities all year, such as Open House in the fall and Preview Day in the spring. These events give students and their families a chance to check out NYIT's campuses, classrooms, residential and dining facilities, and activities. Admitted students can also be an NYIT "Student for a Day." If you would like to visit at another time, we are happy to give you a tour and have you meet with an admissions counselor. For information about upcoming events, please visit nyit.edu/visitus, call 800.345.NYIT, or email email@example.com .
- Explore on- and off-campus job opportunities at the Office of Student Employment. You must use your NYIT email to obtain information on job openings. Call the Office of Student Employment at 212.261.1688 (Manhattan) or 516.686.7606 (Old Westbury), or visit nyit.edu/career_services, for more information.
Complete AlcoholEdu/Haven. Mandatory for all first-year and transfer students, AlcoholEdu/Haven is an online alcohol education and sexual assault prevention program. Completion of Parts 1 and 2, including achieving a grade of at least 75 on the AlcoholEdu exam, is a college requirement as well as a requirement for completing FCIQ 101 Foundations of Inquiry. Part 1 Opens: Monday, July 28, 2014. The deadline to complete Part 1 is Wednesday, Sept. 3, 2014 (it will take 2 hours to complete). You will be able to start Part 2 45 days after you complete Part 1. You will receive an automatic email informing you when Part 2 is open. The deadline to complete Part 2 is Thursday, Nov. 6, 2014 (it will take 15 minutes to complete).
Fall Classes Start on Sept. 3, 2014.