International Student Requirements

International students sitting together in the library

Academic Requirements

International students must meet the same academic requirements for admissions to first-year, transfer, or graduate programs as students in the United States. You must also take the TOEFL/IELTS and obtain an I-20 visa in order to study at NYIT. You will be waived from TOEFL/IELTS requirement if you have graduated with a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited United States institution. 

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) : International students applying to NYIT can take the TOEFL and submit official scores to the Office of Admissions.

  • A written-based score of 550, computer-based score of 213, or Internet-based score of 79/80 is required for full admission.
  • If you score 500 to 549 on the written, 173 to 212 on the computerized, or 61-78 on the Internet based, you may be required to study English as a second language before you can be fully matriculated.
  • If you score below 500, 173, or 61, respectively, you may apply to our English Language Institute for additional instruction in English. You may also retake the TOEFL exam.

IELTS: A test score on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) of 6.0 is required for full admission. If you score below 6.0 (5.0 and 5.5) you may be required to study English as a second language before you can be fully matriculated into your academic program of choice. If you score below a 5.0, you may retake the test or apply to NYIT's English Language Institute for additional instruction in English.

MBA applicants must meet English proficiency requirements by providing a minimum score of 79 on IBT or 6.0 on IELTS. A successful completion of NYIT English Language Institute satisfies the English proficiency requirement to the MBA program.

Necessary Documents

When you apply for admission to NYIT, you will need to submit the following:

  • A completed NYIT application for admission, plus an application fee of $50 (all monetary figures are in U.S. dollars).
  • Copies of records or transcripts, plus certifications of graduation from high school or other colleges attended, if you graduated. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester. If you or your agent are submitting documents, then they are not considered official. Final, official documents must come directly from the university, ETS (for GRE or TOEFL scores), Pearson Vue (for GMAT), or the British Council (IELTS).  If your transcripts are in a language other than English, you must submit an English translation. For scholarship eligibility and transfer credits, transfer students who have attended college overseas will need to obtain a WES, GLOBE, ICD, or other recognized evaluation agency report. To see a list of preferred evaluating agencies, click hereSAT/ACT exam scores are required for academic scholarships for incoming freshmen. For information on SAT exams, visit For information on ACT exams, visit SAT or ACT scores are also a requirement for admission into some academic programs such as engineering, architecture, and nursing.
  • A notarized Affidavit of Support and bank statement from your or your sponsor's bank, demonstrating financial support. You must have minimum liquid assets of:
    • $55,000 if you are applying as an undergraduate student
    • $41,000 if you are applying as a graduate student
    • $28,000 if you are applying to the English Language Institute at NYIT
  • Students planning to bring a spouse and/or children must provide evidence of additional financial support: a minimum of $5,000 for a spouse and $4,500 for each additional dependent for the first year.
  • If you are currently studying at another U.S. institution, you must submit copies of I-20 forms previously issued and a SEVIS I-20 Transfer Form completed by the international student advisor at the school you now attend.
  • If you are in the United States on a non-student visa, you must submit proof of the visa that you hold (A-1/A-2, B-1/B-2, M, etc.) and a visa waiver form if you are changing to a F-1. The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services requires that anyone who enters the United States on a B-1/B-2 (visitor) visa may not enroll or begin a course of study as a full-time student without first receiving a change of status to an F-1 (student) visa or exiting the United States and applying for the F-1 visa from a home country. You must contact the Office of Admissions to discuss the procedure required to obtain an I-20 form.
Facebook Youtube
Facebook Youtube
Matt Santamaria
Matt Santamaria Campus: Old Westbury
Major: Communication Arts
Class Of: 2017